Pro-lifers with IUDs

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you think of this? Is it simply ignorance of how an IUD works? Or denial? I know a couple people on JM who claim to be pro-life but use this as a BC method. I haven't said anything, but I've been tempted so many times.

November 10th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
And how exactly is an IUD an abortion device? Its not. I see no problem with this.

November 10th, 2010, 01:16 PM
This is how a fellow JMer explained it to me:

Quote:
The IUD can work in a variety of ways actually.

For a copper IUD it works the following ways:
1. The IUD its self prevents implantation because it is an object in the uterus.
2. The copper thins the line of the uterus, making it difficult for a viable pregnancy to occur.
3. The copper actually can kill sperm and thicken mucus, causing no fertilization to occur.

So in many cases, fertilization *can* sometimes occur, and then the egg has nowhere to implant and is just expelled from the body.

With hormonal IUD's:
1. The IUD its self prevents implantation because it is an object in the uterus.
2. The hormonal properties can thicken mucus which makes it difficult for sperm to get to the egg at all
3. The hormones in the IUD usually prevent ovulation all together.

So really, in some cases, fertilization can occur but the IUD prevents the pregnancy from continuing/implanting.

November 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's some info and I'm not seeing why it would be a problem for someone who is pro life to use an IUD based on this.
IUD Birth Control - Mirena IUD - ParaGard IUD
Quote:
Both the ParaGard and the Mirena IUDs affect the way sperm move, preventing them from joining with an egg. If sperm cannot join with an egg, pregnancy cannot happen. Both types also alter the lining of the uterus. Some people say that this keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the lining of the uterus. But there is no proof that this actually happens.

The progestin in the Mirena IUD helps prevent pregnancy. Progestin works by keeping a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs — ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. Progestin also prevents pregnancy by thickening a woman's cervical mucus. The mucus blocks sperm and keeps it from joining with an egg.
eta...from the same link...
Quote:
Effectiveness is an important and common concern when choosing a birth control method. IUDs are one of the most effective forms of birth control available. Less than 1 out of 100 women will get pregnant each year if they use the ParaGard or the Mirena IUD.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; November 10th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
November 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hmm, I guess technology has improved a lot since I last did a lot of research on IUDs.
I truly believed they prevented a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine lining. I read a lot about birth control before I got married back in 2001.

I know my mom had an IUD put in between me and my sister and got pregnant anyway. Of course the pregnancy didn't work out. That was back in the late seventies though.

November 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Well forgive me for doing a little research not from an IUD site. Looks like most sites agree, although the last link does seem to show conception occurs more frequently than suggested.

This is from babycenter.com
Quote:
How does an IUD work?

Both types of IUDs work primarily by preventing sperm from fertilizing an egg. They do this in a few different ways. First, they stimulate an inflammatory response in the uterus, causing changes that damage or kill sperm and that may damage an egg as well. In the unlikely event that an egg does get fertilized and survives, an IUD makes it harder for it to implant in the uterus

FHI - Mechanisms of Action
Quote:
Early developmental events

No contraceptive method is perfect, but the efficacy of IUDs is exceptionally good -- 99 percent effective for copper IUDs. Most studies of early pregnancy rates have relied on sensitive measurements of serum beta-hCG, a hormone produced by the fertilized egg near the time of implantation and thereafter. Using this marker, a large number of studies indicate that women using IUDs rarely show evidence of fertilization, and some of these cases may result in an early embroyonic loss, a natural occurrence. One study using a more sensitive assay found a transient rise and fall of beta-hCG in only 1 percent of IUD users, supporting other studies that have estimated copper IUD effectiveness at 99 percent.13 However, among couples trying to conceive, early embryonic loss is very high, ranging from 8 percent to 57 percent.13 Whether the rate of this natural early embryonic loss among IUD users is similar to that in other women is unknown.

November 11th, 2010, 02:44 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Yeh, I asked my ob before putting my copper iud exactly how is it going to prevent pregnancy because I had "heard" that it basically "aborts" the fertilized egg and he told me no that the coppers kills the sperm.

November 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
But if it has the potential to expel a fertilized egg, then i think pro-lifers should not use this method of contraceptive.

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

November 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaFreeMama View Post
But if it has the potential to expel a fertilized egg, then i think pro-lifers should not use this method of contraceptive.
so you are for telling a woman what to do with her body?

November 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZINGA View Post
so you are for telling a woman what to do with her body?
nope. I'm pro choice (to a certain extent). I just think it would be hypocritical for someone to say "i'm pro life" but use a contraceptive that has the potential to kill a fertilized egg. Even if it does not always expel the fertilized egg, just the fact that it has the potential to contradicts what i thought being "pro-life" is all about.

Cece

November 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Semantics debate! If you are personally "pro-life" but support other women's right to abort, aren't you actually "pro-choice?" Doesn't the term "pro-life" refer to someone who doesn't support any woman's right to abort in any way?

I know of at least one lady who became pregnant while using and IUD but the pregnancy did not work out. She was as upset as if she weren't using contraception but had managed to conceive. I would anti-recommend IUDs for "pro-life" women.

November 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
nope. I'm pro choice (to a certain extent). I just think it would be hypocritical for someone to say "i'm pro life" but use a contraceptive that has the potential to kill a fertilized egg. Even if it does not always expel the fertilized egg, just the fact that it has the potential to contradicts what i thought being "pro-life" is all about.
It is possible to believe that life doesn't start at fertilization, right?

I am asking this honestly. Is it a scientific fact that life starts at fertilization?

November 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybear4 View Post
It is possible to believe that life doesn't start at fertilization, right?

I am asking this honestly. Is it a scientific fact that life starts at fertilization?
I think that pro lifers feel that once the sperm reaches the egg, it's a baby no matter what.
But i'm pretty sure that it is a scientific fact that the process of life and cell reproduction starts as soon as the sperm reaches the egg.

Cece

November 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Quote:
I think that pro lifers feel that once the sperm reaches the egg, it's a baby no matter what.
But i'm pretty sure that it is a scientific fact that the process of life and cell reproduction starts as soon as the sperm reaches the egg.
That's pretty much how I feel. Fertilization is the beginning of life. I wouldn't use IUD's. I'm too paranoid about something happening to my uterus, even though the risks of something like that happening are very slim, according to my doc. I get a shot.

I'm sure the second statement is true. But a baby isn't actually considered a "baby" until he/she is out of the womb, and in some states, the baby is still considered a "fetus" until the umbilical cord is cut.

If IUD's did indeed abort a fertilized egg since there is no way for the egg to attach to the uterus, I do think it would be against the Pro-Life stance. I can't speak for everyone though.

November 15th, 2010, 03:57 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
This is the main reason I don't use hormonal birth control. However, I'm sure there are pro-lifers out there that would say life starts when the egg implants and begins growing.

More often than not, I think it's just lack of education about how IUDs function on the part of the pro-lifer. The majority of pro-lifers will not take the morning after pill because it's primary function is preventing the fertilized egg from implanting.
November 16th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
This is the main reason I don't use hormonal birth control. However, I'm sure there are pro-lifers out there that would say life starts when the egg implants and begins growing.

More often than not, I think it's just lack of education about how IUDs function on the part of the pro-lifer. The majority of pro-lifers will not take the morning after pill because it's primary function is preventing the fertilized egg from implanting.
I don't really know the pro life stance very well because i'm not a pro lifer. But are some pro-lifers also against certain IVF procedures where more than one egg is fertilized outside the womb and some are thrown away without being implanted?

Once the sperm reaches the egg, the cells start to divide even before it is implanted. You can get DNA information from a fertilized egg otside the womb. If some pro-lifers believe that life starts when the egg implants, isn't that the same as some pro-choice people believing that abortions are alright up to a certain point?

The debate wouldn't be pro life and pro choice anymore... the debate would be "when is a baby really a baby?"

Cece

November 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why are some people acting like there is one universal dogma for pro-lifers? There is not. Some believe life starts at implantation, some believe life starts at conception. If someone calls themselves pro-life, they are pro-life. I am pro-life, and believe that life begins at conception. For this reason, I steer clear of ANY hormonal birth control (although this is just one of many, many reasons).

If someone who professes to be prolife and believes that life starts at conception, I think they are probably just ignorant to how their birth control works, not neccessarily hypocritical. Example below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie View Post
That's pretty much how I feel. Fertilization is the beginning of life. I wouldn't use IUD's. I'm too paranoid about something happening to my uterus, even though the risks of something like that happening are very slim, according to my doc. I get a shot.

I'm sure the second statement is true. But a baby isn't actually considered a "baby" until he/she is out of the womb, and in some states, the baby is still considered a "fetus" until the umbilical cord is cut.

If IUD's did indeed abort a fertilized egg since there is no way for the egg to attach to the uterus, I do think it would be against the Pro-Life stance. I can't speak for everyone though.

Oooh, bad news for you - the shot prevents a fertilized egg from implanting.

Quote:
How Does the Birth Control Shot Work? Like other methods of birth control, the birth control shot releases a hormone — progestin — into the body. Hormones are chemicals made in our bodies. They control how different parts of our bodies work.

The progestin in the shot works by keeping a woman’s ovaries from releasing eggs — ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. The progestin in the shot also prevents pregnancy by thickening a woman’s cervical mucus. The mucus blocks sperm and keeps it from joining with an egg.

The hormone also thins the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.
Depo-Provera - Birth Control Shot
November 16th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Quote:
In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.
In theory. If there is no ovulation, there is no egg to fertilize, thus no conception.

ETA: Theory is not scientific fact. Like Tammy posted:

Quote:
Both the ParaGard and the Mirena IUDs affect the way sperm move, preventing them from joining with an egg. If sperm cannot join with an egg, pregnancy cannot happen. Both types also alter the lining of the uterus. Some people say that this keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the lining of the uterus. But there is no proof that this actually happens.
If someone has proof then I will admit I am ignorant and don't know what I am talking about and wear the Cone of Shame. (Being totally serious.)

Last edited by Linzie; November 16th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
November 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
A copper IUD kills the sperm before it gets to the egg. However, since pretty much everything is possible when it comes to getting pregnant, some sperm might wiggle past the IUD and fertilize an egg. Should that happen (very small chance) then the IUD *could* prevent the egg from implanting. But since IUDs aren't 100%, obviously sometimes it doesn't work like that, either. I think for some it's a bit of denial. The chance of the birth control method ACTUALLY "killing a baby" is so minuscule that they write it off as a possibility and take the birth control anyways.
November 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie View Post
In theory. If there is no ovulation, there is no egg to fertilize, thus no conception.

ETA: Theory is not scientific fact. Like Tammy posted:

If someone has proof then I will admit I am ignorant and don't know what I am talking about and wear the Cone of Shame. (Being totally serious.)
They say "in theory" because the chances of the egg getting released and fertilized are pretty slim, so it is unlikely it will get to that point, but it DOES thin the lining of the uterus. Fact. That is one of the main objectives of hormonal birth control.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search