"I'm pro-choice...except for..."

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can this really be called pro-choice? The only way it makes sense to me is when people say they're politically pro-choice, but personally pro-life meaning they support a woman's right to choose but wouldn't personally have an abortion.

Regarding this debate, I'm referring to the people that support the right to choose except in certain situations. How it that pro-choice? I always thought you either support it or you don't.

November 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I'm pro-choice for everyone, including myself. The chance that I would actually have an abortion is slim to none (but of course I wouldn't know for sure unless I was in that situation) but I reserve the choice for myself and I hope it stays that way for others. I don't get how you could say "I'm pro-choice... except for" either. For me, it's all the way. I don't have to LIKE why someone may choose to get an abortion, but they reserve that right. The only valid reason I can think someone would use that statement is if someone wanted an abortion (not medically necessary) after 25 weeks or something. Like "I'm pro-choice except for late term abortions." KWIM?

November 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
If someone is "Pro-choice..except for..." I don't think they are FULLY pro-choice and there is some Pro-Life thrown in there. I've always seen pro-choice as being for the right to have an abortion no matter the reasons, even something like gender.

November 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
See, I am pro-choice except for ________. I still consider myself pro-choice though because I would never advocate disallowing abortions, I don't support the picketing in front of abortion clinics, I think abortions should be allowed for all women, etc. But, I do have a bias about some of the reasons people choose to abort. So, I am one of those people who considers myself pro-choice, except for. It's more of a "I don't agree with abortions in the case of _______"
bella88 likes this.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

November 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Well, the pro-life/pro-choice issue involves 1) the rights of the woman involved and 2) the rights of the unborn. Pro-choice usually focus on the rights of the woman and either say there is no human life yet, or that the life isn't worth protecting yet or that the value of the woman's right to choose outweighs the value of the unborn life. Many pro-choice people though, do recognize that at some point the the life of the unborn goes from being expendable or not as valuable to that which holds some value and deserves some protection. Many, many "pro-choice" would say they are not okay with 3rd trimester abortions.
The pro-life focus on the value of the life of the unborn. What bothers me more is when people say they are "pro-life except for________" because it doesn't make sense to hold that the unborn life holds value to protect if mom is a teenager and scared and doesn't want to have a baby but the life doesn't hold enough value to protect if mom was raped. The value of the unborn wouldn't change depending on how it got there.
November 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I'm pro-choice and will always be that way. While I may not have one for myself, depends on my circumstances, I will never tell another woman what she can or cannot do. I would like to see better regulations, like no late term abortions, but I would rather see the option than no option at all.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I'm pro-choice and will always be that way. While I may not have one for myself, depends on my circumstances, I will never tell another woman what she can or cannot do. I would like to see better regulations, like no late term abortions, but I would rather see the option than no option at all.
You are contradicting yourself - you say "I will never tell another woman what she can or cannot do" and then you say "I would like to see better regulations, like no late term abortions"
so, sounds like you do want to tell a woman what she can and cannot do once the unborn reaches a certain level of development.
November 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDG View Post
You are contradicting yourself - you say "I will never tell another woman what she can or cannot do" and then you say "I would like to see better regulations, like no late term abortions"
so, sounds like you do want to tell a woman what she can and cannot do once the unborn reaches a certain level of development.
Not at all. What I would like and what I would actually do are two completely different things. I would be contradicting myself if I actually told a woman that she shouldn't be allowed to have a late term abortion, not that I don't like that she's having one. Big difference. You can't take bits and pieces of my post and make it fit to what you think I'm saying. Even right after I said "like no late term abortions" I followed that right up with "I would rather see the option than no option at all."

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

November 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is a contradiction, I think people have this view because it seems to be a bit more socially acceptable to voice a contingent to your view.

November 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Not at all. What I would like and what I would actually do are two completely different things. I would be contradicting myself if I actually told a woman that she shouldn't be allowed to have a late term abortion, not that I don't like that she's having one. Big difference. You can't take bits and pieces of my post and make it fit to what you think I'm saying. Even right after I said "like no late term abortions" I followed that right up with "I would rather see the option than no option at all."

Then I guess I don't understand what you typed. You said:
"I would like to see better regulations, like no late term abortions, but I would rather see the option than no option at all." I thought you meant you would like to see late term abortions limited or you would like them to be illegal (and they are in many places) - I don't really know how else to read that sentence and don't see how I am taking that out of context.
November 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is why i always say "i'm pro choice...to a certain extent". I do not believe in late term abortions, but in all other cases, i'm for the right to choose.

If there was a term for the person who is in the middle, then i would use it. But usually people see it as one way or the other, so you just tell them which you agree with more.

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

November 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand how you can be pro-choice but not support the choice to have a late term abortion. You don't have to like something to support someone's right to do it. That is how I see it anyways. I don't like late term abortion, hell I don't like abortion anyways. However, I support the choice and legal right to do it. I guess I don't really see a gray area when it comes to being pro-choice. Either you support the right to abort or you don't.

November 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe'sMommy View Post
I don't understand how you can be pro-choice but not support the choice to have a late term abortion. You don't have to like something to support someone's right to do it. That is how I see it anyways. I don't like late term abortion, hell I don't like abortion anyways. However, I support the choice and legal right to do it. I guess I don't really see a gray area when it comes to being pro-choice. Either you support the right to abort or you don't.
You've said it better than I did. I don't like it but I support a woman's right to have it.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

November 15th, 2010, 06:21 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
You've said it better than I did. I don't like it but I support a woman's right to have it.
So, you didn't mean what you typed when you said you wanted to see regulations on abortion?
November 15th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Where is Torrie? The reason some pro-choicers are against late term abortions is because they believe that before a certain point- the fetus is not viable and after a certain point, it is. Once the cerebral cortex develops, I believe. I'll have to dig up the debate if Torrie doesn't chime in.

November 15th, 2010, 07:01 AM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
Where is Torrie? The reason some pro-choicers are against late term abortions is because they believe that before a certain point- the fetus is not viable and after a certain point, it is. Once the cerebral cortex develops, I believe. I'll have to dig up the debate if Torrie doesn't chime in.
Right. That is what I was getting at in my first post - that many believe at a certain point in gestation the unborn is a life worth protecting. For some that is viability and for others it is some other point - past first trimester etc
November 15th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
So, you didn't mean what you typed when you said you wanted to see regulations on abortion?
See that's where I'm torn. I'm going to have to think on this one better and get back you once I'm home from work and not fully distracted.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

November 15th, 2010, 08:10 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
I'm here. lol.

My view on this is a little complicated. On one hand, I would like to see late-term abortions remain unregulated, for the simple fact that our bodies are our own. We get to choose what to do with them, and who gets to live in them. In the same way that I cannot be legally compelled to attach yourself to my kidney temporarily, even if you would die otherwise, I would not like to be legally compelled to carry a pregnancy at any point.

But, around 28 weeks or so, well into the third trimester, we're looking at a huge jump in the mechanical development of the brain and nervous system. Was a previously an unthinking, unfeeling thing operating purely on mechanical reptile brain reactivity now at least has the necessary organs to maintain very limited cognitive ability. And it certainly "feels" at that point.

So acknowledging that there is a conflict of "rights", I err on the side of the mother. But if I were doing the negotiations, I would accept a total, regulation free, opening of abortions up to 28 weeks in exchange for restricting them after that point.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
November 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Ok sorry to take so long, yesterday turned out to be a horrible day for me. But that's neither here nor there.

I guess I worded my post incorrectly. I should have said that I wouldn't mind seeing better regulations on abortions. But in the end if it comes down to either having the choice or not having the choice due to late term abortions, than I would rather just have the choice.

I hope that makes sense it's hard for me to put how I feel about this into words.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

November 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally completely pro-choice. I feel that a woman's body, and all the parts in it are under her control, and subject to her choices. And until a baby is born, it's part of her body. (i know it's not a super popular opinion...but it's how i feel)

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search