Mandatory Wait and counseling

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering what the stance was on a mandatory wait and counseling for women considering abortion. As you might know, this was an unplanned pregnancy. I went to Planned Parenthood when I first found out I was pregnant, to see how far along I was, and yes, to see what my options were. They told me I was 3 weeks along, and offered me a medical abortion on the spot-basically a pill that induces a miscarraige. Now, bear in mind I was totally overwhelmed at the time, and absolutely terrified (actually I was bawling my eyes out) and they still offered this to me. I almost took it-it was very tempting, a "magic pill" that would make everything go away. Thank God I declined, and after extensive soul searching I realized that termination was not an option for me. But it got me thinking-why is it so easy? If you want an abortion, you can schedule one on the spot, as long as you have money for it. I mean, if you want to go buy a gun you have to go through a backround check and there is a mandatory wait because people who buy guns are not always thinking rationally. Why shouldn't the same restrictions apply to abortion? It's one of the biggest, most life altering descisions that a woman can make, and yet it is trivialized so much. I think that a woman seeking an abortion should have mandatory counseling. The counseling should include a description of what the procedure will be-no sugar coating. The counselor should find out the real reason she is having the abortion done, and give her options should she change her mind and decide to go through with the pregnancy. She should have an ultrasound done and listen to the heartbeat if it is late enough in the pregnancy. And she should have a period of time to wait and weigh her descision. Do you think that this is a good idea?
July 31st, 2006, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Of course this is a great idea.If only they would let the MOTHER see her CHILD and tell her exactly what they will do to their child, I would think and hope that alot of "abortions" would not even happen.
July 31st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I think it's a great idea. My only question would be how long of a wait? I'd hate for someone's waiting period to go past the point of no return. What if the wait pushed them past the time they feel its okay to abort? I'm iffy.

July 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think it's a great idea. My only question would be how long of a wait? I'd hate for someone's waiting period to go past the point of no return. What if the wait pushed them past the time they feel its okay to abort? I'm iffy. [/b]
I would say at least a week, maybe 2...enough time to have some serious counseling and soul searching...and if the wait put them over their "point of no return", I kinda don't see that as a bad thing, I think it would decreace the number of abortions, someone who is thinking that way clearly has some sort of inherent probleme with it anyways and would probobly regret the descision in the first place. I don't think abortions should be done up to 20 weeks anyways but thats a whole seperate debate...
July 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think my state has some kind of law that the mother has to receive information about pregnancy in general, about her pregnancy in particular (how far along she is, etc.) and see pictures of fetal development before having an abortion. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember some law being passed a few years ago about this. I'm all for it, but I don't think it goes quite far enough. I like the reasonable waiting period too.

August 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM
Super Mommy
Yes to everything because of my own personal experience I'm especially for the ultrasound and mandatory wait time. The only thing I differ on is the waiting time, I'd say 24 hours. If a woman decides she is going to go through with the abortion waiting a week or two could make the diff. on what kind of procedure she has.
August 1st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Counseling, yes...mandatory wait, no. I do believe that counseling should be offered and if denied then that's the patient's right. I don't think a law should be passed that regulates a woman to wait to choose what she does with her body.[/b]
But my point is the choice is often irrational, reactionary, and not thought out. And too often it is one they regret...It shouldn't be that easy, it should be something that the woman is sure about....as far as the "her body" thing, there are many elective medical procedures that you need to get cleared by a phychiatrist to do, why should this be any different?
August 1st, 2006, 10:06 AM
mrobinson
I think it should be between the counsellor and the women.. I like Coughburp's idea about possibly accepting to decline.. but I do wish there was a better screening process.
August 1st, 2006, 11:25 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I believe that patients should have rights and making a patient wait for something that they want is infringing on their rights. I think that counseling should be offered and if denied then left at that. What about the women who have thought it through and made an educated decision...they should also have to wait? Not all women who have abortions do so on impulse. It is something that is thought out and agonized over. Alot of women have different beliefs as to when the embryo/fetus is a human being and believe the sooner they do it, the better it is for the embryo/fetus. I think making those already sure of what they want wait may actually cause more grief after the abortion than would if they had not been made to wait. I mean they are being made to carry the child another week or two, as you stated.[/b]
Exactly.. A mental state can vary.. I would hope that the screening process in the end would help those who just can't see abortion as anything but murder an alternative.. So many women get an abortion based having no options.. If there were other options I think more people wouldn't have them.. I think the process would help a woman in healing.. Like mentioned, if a woman is already at peace with the decision then they can just go through the loops, like anything else, in the hopes those loops help someone else.
August 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Counseling, yes...mandatory wait, no. I do believe that counseling should be offered and if denied then that's the patient's right. I don't think a law should be passed that regulates a woman to wait to choose what she does with her body.[/b]
But my point is the choice is often irrational, reactionary, and not thought out. And too often it is one they regret...It shouldn't be that easy, it should be something that the woman is sure about....as far as the "her body" thing, there are many elective medical procedures that you need to get cleared by a phychiatrist to do, why should this be any different?
[/b]
I believe that patients should have rights and making a patient wait for something that they want is infringing on their rights. I think that counseling should be offered and if denied then left at that. What about the women who have thought it through and made an educated decision...they should also have to wait? Not all women who have abortions do so on impulse. It is something that is thought out and agonized over. Alot of women have different beliefs as to when the embryo/fetus is a human being and believe the sooner they do it, the better it is for the embryo/fetus. I think making those already sure of what they want wait may actually cause more grief after the abortion than would if they had not been made to wait. I mean they are being made to carry the child another week or two, as you stated.
[/b]
I do see your point here...I know not all women make the descision impulsively but I think many do. I guess maybe the counselor would know best what the protocol should be....I think the counseling should be mandatory and the counselor should advise the woman what is in her best interest and make sure she is aware of her options and she has all the facts about the abortion and about PASS....so the wait should be as long as the counseling takes I guess
August 1st, 2006, 12:19 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
I agree with counseling, I think it's a good idea, and I think it will help to weed out the women that are going to regret their decission and have a huge ammount of grief for the rest of their life about it. The counseler would have to be very unbiased and experienced in this type of thing. If they determine that the woman may not be doing it for the 'right' reason then that's when they should give the woman some information to take home with her and look over, as well as information on alternatives then they can make another appointment to see her in a few days and see how she's feeling about it then after weighing her options in her situation. IF the woman has made an educated decission already, and has thought it through prior to going there then there should be no wait because she has already went through the thought process about it and made her informed decission. I think that 2 weeks is too long of a manditory wait for everyone. If the woman is unsure/uneducated about her decission or choice that's when they need to send her home with info. and allow her to think about it and read over everything for a few days. I think she should be allowed to make another appointment to see the counseler in as little as a day or two and then discuss her thoughts and ultimatly her decission, if she has made one, if she hasn't then she probably was having major second thoughts about the abortion anyway.

Just my .02 cents!

* It's good to have you back Blondie!
August 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I agree with counseling, I think it's a good idea, and I think it will help to weed out the women that are going to regret their decission and have a huge ammount of grief for the rest of their life about it. The counseler would have to be very unbiased and experienced in this type of thing. If they determine that the woman may not be doing it for the 'right' reason then that's when they should give the woman some information to take home with her and look over, as well as information on alternatives then they can make another appointment to see her in a few days and see how she's feeling about it then after weighing her options in her situation. IF the woman has made an educated decission already, and has thought it through prior to going there then there should be no wait because she has already went through the thought process about it and made her informed decission. I think that 2 weeks is too long of a manditory wait for everyone. If the woman is unsure/uneducated about her decission or choice that's when they need to send her home with info. and allow her to think about it and read over everything for a few days. I think she should be allowed to make another appointment to see the counseler in as little as a day or two and then discuss her thoughts and ultimatly her decission, if she has made one, if she hasn't then she probably was having major second thoughts about the abortion anyway.

Just my .02 cents!

* It's good to have you back Blondie! [/b]
Very well put, ITA....and thanks I missed all you crazy ladies!
August 1st, 2006, 01:08 PM
mrobinson
We miss you too girl!

This is an awesome thread.. now if we can just get the rest of the world to implement it! I'll call Hilary.. ((beep, beep, beep....))
August 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
kadydid
There should NEVER be mandatory wait or mandatory counseling. Having said that, I think we don't give people enough credit, if a woman goes to an abortion clinic, she knows exactly what she is trying to prevent, she is trying to prevent a little primitive human from developing inside of her. This IMO goes along with self responsibility. If you go to an abortion clinic they are supporting your choice, not trying to sway you in either direction, they are not going to try to make it harder for you. Women who are in serious situations do not need this kind of guilt added to what they KNOW they are already doing.
If a woman wants the extra counseling she should get it, if not, so be it. Her body her choice IMO this is not much different from most forms of BC, I am not going to demand that every woman get counseling every time she goes into the pharmacy to pick up her BC prescription that will more than likely prevent another little primitive human from surviving in the womb.
August 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
There should NEVER be mandatory wait or mandatory counseling. Having said that, I think we don't give people enough credit, if a woman goes to an abortion clinic, she knows exactly what she is trying to prevent, she is trying to prevent a little primitive human from developing inside of her. This IMO goes along with self responsibility. If you go to an abortion clinic they are supporting your choice, not trying to sway you in either direction, they are not going to try to make it harder for you. Women who are in serious situations do not need this kind of guilt added to what they KNOW they are already doing.
If a woman wants the extra counseling she should get it, if not, so be it. Her body her choice IMO this is not much different from most forms of BC, I am not going to demand that every woman get counseling every time she goes into the pharmacy to pick up her BC prescription that will more than likely prevent another little primitive human from surviving in the womb.[/b]
But abortion is very different from birth control. You don't see women suffering emotional turmoil because they decided to go on the pill....this is part of the additude, that abortion is just no big deal and that a woman usually goes willingly, aware of all of her options and at peace with her descision. Somehow I don't see this being the reality. I know there are women who are like this, but I don't think it is the norm. And counseling wouldn't be to "sway" anyone, it would be to make sure they were aware of the reality and the consequences, and so that if they felt they were backed into a corner about it (which is how I felt personally when I got pregnant) that they were aware of all of the resources available should they decide to continue with their pregnancy. I think it's naive to assume that a woman who get's an abortion is always in her right mind, always confident she is making the right choice, always aware of her options, always at peace with her choice...I don't see that as not giving them credit, I see it as being realistic. Call me crazy but I'm not one of those pro-choicers who believes abortion is this great, liberating thing for women. I think they are often a victim of pressure and turn to abortion because they feel it is the only available option when it is not
August 1st, 2006, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I actually think the mandatory counseling is a good idea. Not that someone will try to talk the women out of having the abortion if that's really what they want to do, but instead...let them know there might be different options for them.

August 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM
kadydid
I was a teen in the 90’s and I honestly went to 7 different high schools all over this country. I seen girls who were pregnant, girls who were giving up their babies, girls who had, had abortions I do not buy for one tiny second that the majority of women who go into an abortion clinic don’t know what her options are. And I would also guess that if she is going into a place like that, she has a pretty good idea of what she wants done.
I have myself, gone to clinics to get BC and there are signs and posters all over the place on how to protect your self help with adoption etc. There are massive amounts of people out there that help pregnant women and children.
If anything the woman who does not seek out abortion out of fear of judgment, parents, whatever are the ones who are lacking in options.

Quote:
I think it's naive to assume that a woman who get's an abortion is always in her right mind, always confident she is making the right choice, always aware of her options, always at peace with her choice...[/b]
I did not say they shouldn’t get counseling. I said they shouldn’t be required to have counseling. And many if not all clinics offer some kind of pre counseling. If a woman wishes to keep her baby and explore her options she is going to opt for it. I have been to these clinics to get health care (when I was single and poor) and to get BC and these women are very easy to talk to. It is not as if they are pushing abortion down your throat. They ask you all kinds of questions even when getting BC things like is somebody forcing you to do this, do you want counseling, Do you feel scared?? There is a reason they ask these questions on these forms.

I am sure that there are some women who are pushed into doing something that they don’t want to do, either having a baby or having an abortion it is hard to get around that in this world. That is terribly unfortunate, but the reality is most of us, do exactly what we want at the time. And us making whatever decisions that we make is not the fault of the medical provider.
Those who want it, will seek it. And those that don’t or can’t come back to a clinic over and over again shouldn’t de denied an abortion because someone else doesn’t feel comfortable with the amount of time it took them to make that decision.
August 1st, 2006, 04:46 PM
mrobinson
I'm so happy to hear some positive feedback about how you were treated by an abortion clinic..

I honestly have hear horror story after horror story, I was beginning to wonder if anyone has good experiences..

That said, I don't think there are enough people who understand what they are doing.. I do support counselling being offered and a little screening. Maybe some girls tick off no, I'm not scared on the list but really don't mean it, ykwim?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search