Plan B may go OTC

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Plan B "emergency contraceptive" may go over the counter

Thoughts?
August 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM
chlodoll
Good!
August 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm...on one hand I think it is good that it is more available now, on the other I kinda fear that more women will use that in place of condoms...I know of girls who do that already and I can only see that getting more prevelent if its OTC. I'm not quite sure where I stand on this one yet
August 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
chlodoll
Idont think it will discourage condom use. Its not econmical to replace condoms and it makes you feel pretty isck.
August 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
That can be sold OTC, but you have to ask the pharmacist for Sudafed??? Something wrong here. I dont' have a problem with the morning after pill...but I think you should AT LEAST have to get it from the pharmacist!!

Oh, and I've taken it before...after a rape incident, and I didn't feel sick. But I know everyone reacts to things differently...it just didnt' affect me that way.

August 2nd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Oh, and I've taken it before...after a rape incident, and I didn't feel sick. But I know everyone reacts to things differently...it just didnt' affect me that way.[/b]
Me too...and I didn't feel sick at all either. Don't get me wrong I do think it is a good idea and I know it wont REPLACE condom use, but I know it's gonna make it a lot easier for people to to say "oh well, we don't have a condom, we'll just use the Morning after pill" and I'm afraid that is going to make disease rates rise...but I generally do think its a good thing.
August 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That can be sold OTC, but you have to ask the pharmacist for Sudafed??? Something wrong here. I dont' have a problem with the morning after pill...but I think you should AT LEAST have to get it from the pharmacist!![/b]
I agree!

I'm not a total fan of Plan B though.
August 2nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
Quote:
That can be sold OTC, but you have to ask the pharmacist for Sudafed??? Something wrong here. I dont' have a problem with the morning after pill...but I think you should AT LEAST have to get it from the pharmacist!!

Oh, and I've taken it before...after a rape incident, and I didn't feel sick. But I know everyone reacts to things differently...it just didnt' affect me that way.[/b]

I went to the hospital for a rape kit a few years ago, it wasn't even offered to me. Is it standard that it's offered to Rape victims? Or is it possiable I went to a ghetto hospital that just dosen't care? I'm kinda mad that it wasn't offered now, it would have helped me with the worry of pregnancy a great deal I think. I didn't think to ask I guess, but I mean there were alot of other things going on in my head, ykwim? Did you have to ask or was it just offered?

I think the sudafed thing has to do with the production of Meth(?), I don't know if it works to stop it realy though, it hasn't realy helped here IMO, but that's a diffrent story all together.
August 2nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

I went to the hospital for a rape kit a few years ago, it wasn't even offered to me. Is it standard that it's offered to Rape victims? Or is it possiable I went to a ghetto hospital that just dosen't care? I'm kinda mad that it wasn't offered now, it would have helped me with the worry of pregnancy a great deal I think. I didn't think to ask I guess, but I mean there were alot of other things going on in my head, ykwim? Did you have to ask or was it just offered?

I think the sudafed thing has to do with the production of Meth(?), I don't know if it works to stop it realy though, it hasn't realy helped here IMO, but that's a diffrent story all together.
[/b]
In my experience I didn't have to ask...it was offered. But I didn't go to the hospital...I saw my gyno. There was a question of "if" I had been raped. I had been drugged...so only had some memory of it.

August 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I think it is a good idea soley because of timing:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
How important is the timing of treatment to efficacy?

The sooner Plan B is taken after unprotected intercourse, the more effective it is. Effectiveness of Plan B declines as the interval between intercourse and the start of treatment increases. The decline in efficacy from a delay in treatment is why a broad range of health professionals believe that barriers to more timely access to Plan B should be removed, including making the product broadly available without prescription.[/b]
http://www.go2planb.com/section/about/index.html
[/b][/quote]
August 2nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Hmm...when I went they did offer it to me with the rape kit, as well as a drug that was supposed to prevent STD's, but I don't know if it is standard practice (although it should be!) Was it by chance a Catholic Hospital? I know they don't offer it b/c they see it as an early abortion
August 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im glad its offered OTC, I felt absolutely horrible. I was drugged on the Friday, well at around 2 am the actual rape happend so saturday. I did not go to the police in the beginning because I felt it was my fault, being only 14 years old I was still in Highschool. The clinic is only open weekdays.

I had to go to school that morning and ask permission from my teacher to go to the clinic to get it, I told her my bf and I had sex and the condom broke, she looked at me like I was a wh....! I was mortified, then having to talk to the Dr was the WORST, a 14 year old asking for the morning after pill.. He was not pleased. I needed it though because of the timing issue like someone had mentioned.

Eventually I did go to the police etc etc but thats another story. I just agree that it should be OTC because of timing reasons and for those that really do need it may not get the chance otherwise.

August 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
Veteran
I don't know how I feel about this--but I just wanted to add that Sudafed is used to make meth, that's why it's not OTC.
August 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sudafed is still otc isn't it? as in, you don't need a script? It's just in a different location because it can't be stolen and they can regulate how much you buy at a time correct?

Perhaps they will do the same for plan b..I'm assuming it would be expensive side so I wopuld think they would put it behind as well.

naking...typos...
August 2nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
irishxrose
Good. It needs to be out there for those who need it.
August 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
Sudafed is still otc isn't it? as in, you don't need a script? It's just in a different location because it can't be stolen and they can regulate how much you buy at a time correct?

Perhaps they will do the same for plan b..I'm assuming it would be expensive side so I wopuld think they would put it behind as well.[/b]
Yup you dont need an actual persricption its just behind the counter for the sudafed. And I am positive it would be the same for Plan B. Its not just going to be on the shelf. OTC just means you dont need a perscription.

Here at sexual health clincs Plan B is $25. I am sure it actually costs more then that because you pay less at the clinics. I paid $5 for BC when I went there which is really between $15-$30 depending on type/brand.
August 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't know how I feel about this--but I just wanted to add that Sudafed is used to make meth, that's why it's not OTC.[/b]
True..but not everyone who uses Sudafed makes meth. Just like not everyone who buys bleach off the shelf is making bombs.

I don't have a problem with it if its where they have to ask the pharmacist for it. No prescription necessary IMO.

August 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
True..but not everyone who uses Sudafed makes meth. Just like not everyone who buys bleach off the shelf is making bombs. [/b]
Exactly! And not everyone buying Plan B is using it as their only form of birth control.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search