Botched abortion ~ women sues

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM
mrobinson
Source

(Kensington Clinic here in Calgary is one of the abortion clinics most used.)

The lawsuit states a degenerative hip disease meant she couldn't carry the fetus to full term.

But after a July 21, 2004, abortion procedure by Dr. Ted Busheikin the woman continued to experience severe pain in her hips, it alleges.

For the next 3 1/2 months she took medication prescribed by her general practitioner, Dr. John Barrow, without any relief.

On Oct. 8, 2004, an ultrasound confirmed she was still pregnant, the lawsuit says.

It was only after her doctor wrote a letter to Foothills hospital that a doctor agreed to end the pregnancy because of the risk it posed.

The lawsuit, seeking damages of $250,000, names Busheikin, the clinic, Barrow, the Calgary Health Region, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and the province.
August 12th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Regular
I am sort of confused but I don't see how she could sue. If he said he did an abortion and didn't, then she needs to go to another DR and get one or just deal with the fact that maybe it was meant to be this way. But suing? For that much money? I think it's nuts.
August 12th, 2006, 11:36 PM
chlodoll
I just wonder how she didnt know she was still pregnant??
August 12th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Regular
Yeah, and how her general practitioner didn't know.. or didn't test? I guess if she didn't tell him about it he couldn't know, and I guess at 3 1/2 months (or whatever) you wouldn't really "know". I couldn't tell I was pregnant until 5 months except by the test and ultrasounds. Don't you go in for a checkup to make sure everything went OK after an abortion? That would seem like the most logical (and safe) thing to do..
August 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know, but all the times I got pregnant and was pregnant for more than 8 weeks, my uterus grew in size and it was VERY OBVIOUS. I also stopped getting my period, and about a million other things happened to clue me in. But I guess some people just don't pay attention to their bodies, and I guess that's someone else's fault.

Maybe she had twins in there, and one was removed and the doctor missed the other one. That's possible. I guess that's all "someone else's" fault too.

August 13th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Regular
The twins thing is a possibility. I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy and thought I was just "not pregnant" anymore. A few weeks later at my checkup my doctor told me I was pregnant. I really had no idea. I mean after a miscarriage I didn't know if I would get a period right away or not. But either way she shouldn't be able to sue. It's her own fault for getting pregnant and her own fault for not following up sooner.
August 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She may or may not sue in my opinion. If she did everything she was souppose to and it was neglete on the part of the doctor that could have cost her server consiquenses then she should sue. She should have had a post op pregnancy test or ultra-sound. However that said she sould NOT sue for that much. Cost of hospital bills, medication and time she had to take off because of the boched surgery. Honestly she should report to the board because bad doctors put MANY lifes at risk not just hers.

August 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
mrobinson
I don't think she is wrong to sue. I don't think this the doctor is at fault either.. Any doctor makes mistakes. I just think it's a sad story and everyone loses.

(BTW: in the article she did attempt suicide more than once over this.)
August 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Regular
I don't mean to sound harsh, but her attempting suicide is the least of my worries. She went in for an ABORTION! I mean, come on, did she expect it to be all roses afterwards? When you go to get an abortion, there are risks. You are expelling a fetus from your body, what do you expect?
August 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I don't mean to sound harsh, but her attempting suicide is the least of my worries. She went in for an ABORTION! I mean, come on, did she expect it to be all roses afterwards? When you go to get an abortion, there are risks. You are expelling a fetus from your body, what do you expect?[/b]
I got the impression the suicide attempts was from the pain from the hip..

Besides, that could be why she didn't think she was pregant.. Her main concern seems to be about her rare hip problem... I got that the abortion was the least of her concerns but that the complications related to her hip issue is why she was upset.
August 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I dunno about all this. I have stress fractures in my hips and I carried an 8 lb. 10 oz child to full term. I split my sacro illiac joints giving birth but I still went back to work when she was 9 days old. I don't think there's anything much worse than all that but I didn't sue. JMO.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
August 18th, 2006, 07:01 PM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
Send a message via Yahoo to proudmom3
Quote:
I just wonder how she didnt know she was still pregnant??[/b]

exactly my thoughts too!

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9
August 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
lea27's Avatar Veteran
Of course she should be able to sue. SHe went to the doctor to have an abortion and he didn't even do it right. People can sue doctors over other issues, so I don't see why that woman shouldn't.
August 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Of course she should be able to sue. SHe went to the doctor to have an abortion and he didn't even do it right. People can sue doctors over other issues, so I don't see why that woman shouldn't.[/b]
Thank you!

It sure was interesting watching all the people pounce on her person responsiblity to know her system but she was already in the care of doctors, and in pain. If the doctor did the procedure wrong, why shouldn't she be entitled to sue?
August 22nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
tonyarn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just wonder how she didnt know she was still pregnant??[/b]
It happens...I was 32 weeks pregnant when I found out I was pregnant with my second child.

Benjamin 2/2/09

***site contains pictures***
I have 3 angels waiting for me in heaven.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search