Why I am pro choice

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 14th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I just could never walk into an examineing room have people kill a baby as if it was just another day at work.[/b]
What was the purpose of that statement? Do you really think that is what it is like? Let me tell you something, it isn't. Most women who have abortions AGONIZE over the descision and it bothers them deeply. They don't just waltz into the clinic, lie down, have an aboriton and then go on about their day like nothing ever happened. Sometimes they can't even go on with their life...I'm not trying to jump down your throat b/c I actually totally agree with your stance, but I just think that your perception of what a woman goes through with an abortion is totally off base.
August 14th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just could never walk into an examineing room have people kill a baby as if it was just another day at work.[/b]
What was the purpose of that statement? Do you really think that is what it is like? Let me tell you something, it isn't. Most women who have abortions AGONIZE over the descision and it bothers them deeply. They don't just waltz into the clinic, lie down, have an aboriton and then go on about their day like nothing ever happened. Sometimes they can't even go on with their life...I'm not trying to jump down your throat b/c I actually totally agree with your stance, but I just think that your perception of what a woman goes through with an abortion is totally off base.
[/b]
No not saying all experiences are like that. I am not saying at all that the women having the abortion takes it lighgtly either. But just maybe the medical staff does. I read a story by a women who agonized over the decision. She talked about the the how medical staff stood around preparing her for the abortion and just gossiping away like it was just a normal day for her.

And as far as what women go through well i can't even imagine. I am sure it haunts many of them forever.
[/b]
Oh, ok...sorry I misunderstood you I agree, I do think they have that additude, but I think they have to otherwise they would go crazy. I can't even imagine what it must be like to have that job **shudder**
August 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM
mkgirl4u's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
This is why I am pro choice

Now I would never in a million years have an abortion. I just could never walk into an examineing room have people kill a baby as if it was just another day at work. No way I could never go each year and wonder about my child. I would also never encourage an abortion only support them but try to persuade them with other options like adoption.

But here is why i want to keep good safe clinics around.

Think about the millions of young women who get pregnant each and ever year. Think of how many are scared and don't know what to do. Or the ones that are raped or molested by relatives (and it happens) How can we tell them what to do. They talke to no one because they are scared and all they want is to get rid of what they think is a problem. So we make abortion illegal and eliminate all the safe sterile clinics. Now this girl does what she can to perform an abortion on her own, or she goes to some nasty street alley bum to peform an abortion. Because we all know abortions would still happen even if they become illegal. Now this young girl gets a nasty infection, ruining her chances of becoming a mother later in life or worse she looses her life.

I personally would much rather these girls find a nice safe clean and sterile abortion clinic where she can get some conseling or whatever no questions asked.

You just never know it could be your daughter, or someone else close to you.[/b]
I am seeing another side of people that are pro-choice. And I completely agree with you on this. Just never thought of it that way.

In my eyes, it would be ideal for someone to come in and ban abortion all around the world, and no one ever even attempts to have one because it is banned.

But we don't live in an ideal world. Even if abortion was banned, and their was a heavy punishment for having one done, girls and women would still be getting one. And I'm sure that it can be done pretty secretively, so that person would never be punished anyway.

When I think about it that way, and think about all of the unsterilized tools, the lack of good doctors, the nasty places some of these women would go to in order to have it done "under the covers".....I'm actually happy that it is not banned.

I don't agree with the statements "It's MY body, I'll do what I want" "You can't tell me what to do with MY body". Because there are so many things that are illegal...drugs, prostitution just to name some. And I'm sure many of us don't agree with people doing those things just because it's THEIR body, and they can do what they want.

But inside the body of a women who is going to have an abortion, is a tiny child. In my POV, life begins at conception, so from that I'll say that it is no longer just your body, you are the carrying case for another human being. I don't think we should make the decision for another person, no matter how small, whether they should live or die.

<div align="center"></div>
August 14th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I agree with abortion clinics, though I am largely against abortion. Does that makes sense? Probably not. But, I acknowledge that abortion is something that women should have access to because eliminating it would mean disaster. And I have never believed it was an easy decision for most women.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

August 14th, 2006, 11:29 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Although there are women out there that just don't care. One of the girls I cheerleaded with my senior year had 6 abortions by the time she was 19! She used it as a form of birthcontrol and could care less and had no emotion toward it at all.

Josie

August 15th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is what some doctors (who practiced before Roe vs. Wade) had to say about what it was like before abortions were legal

Dr. Phillip Stubblefield

Dr. Stubblefield fears the consequences of a return to pre-Roe days. "We would go back to the bad old days where women got abortions anyway. Some women could afford to go out of state. Others could not. In the 1940s, 1,000 women a year died of illegal abortions. Maybe we would not go back to that level, but we would undoubtedly have a lot of sick women."

Dr. William Harrison

"During the first six months of my residency, almost all abortions, except for those done to save the life or physical health of the mother, were illegal. Each night we would admit to the wards of University Hospital in Little Rock (a fairly small hospital, as metropolitan hospitals go) girls and women with raging fevers, extraordinary uterine and pelvic infections, enormous blood loss, and a multitude of serious injuries of the pelvic and intra-abdominal organs as a result of illegal and self-induced abortions."

Dr. Curtis Boyd

"Many of the doctors of conscience who have provided abortions through the years were moved to do so by the horrors of botched illegal abortions. I saw those ill and sometimes dying women in my medical training too. I was moved by their plight. But that was not what drove me to risk my career and sometimes my life. I was moved by the certain knowledge that women's lives could be ruined when they could not abort a pregnancy."

Dr. Eugene Glick

"I think the image that I retain was that of a 31-year-old Mexican-American woman who died of endotoxic shock with her husband and four or five children around," he says. "And that scene is in my mind and has been in my mind coming back all the time. I see the bed, I see the kids crying and I see the husband crying."

Dr. Mildred Hanson

As the head of a hospital committee on abortion and sterilization in the 1960s, Dr. Mildred Hanson coached women through an elaborate system to prove that an unwanted pregnancy threatened their life or mental health. But one day she received a frantic call from a young woman seeking her help, and without a name or number all she could do was familiarize her with the process and ask her to call back. She never called back. "I later learned that she committed suicide by jumping out of a 17th-story window. To this day, I feel responsible for her death."

Very sad stuff I don't think anyone here can honestly say they want that...

Abby and Hannah's mom, I know what you mean, I have known a couple girls who were like that, but they are in the minority. Also you have to remember that we don't always know what is going on in someones head...some people just are good at disguising their pain. But 9 abortions is mind boggling, it doesn't seem fair knowing how many women out there would give anything to be able to have a baby It's really hard for me to not let stuff like that cloud my views on this issue.
August 15th, 2006, 07:50 AM
mrobinson
When I met Gloria Steniem, she told us that part of the reason why she fought for these rights, other than having her own abortion experience, was because in those days, there would be a panel of non-doctors, and a nun comprised of the debate... She was a reporter at the time and went to cover them.
August 15th, 2006, 01:58 PM
kadydid
Quote:
When I met Gloria Steniem, she told us that part of the reason why she fought for these rights, other than having her own abortion experience, was because in those days, there would be a panel of non-doctors, and a nun comprised of the debate... She was a reporter at the time and went to cover them.[/b]
Can you imagine being faced with a horrible decision and having to face a panal like that???

Quote:
Although there are women out there that just don't care. One of the girls I cheerleaded with my senior year had 6 abortions by the time she was 19! She used it as a form of birthcontrol and could care less and had no emotion toward it at all.[/b]
I knew a girl like that too. Except the girl I knew, I am sure she was lying.

But with the girl that you knew, do you honestly think she was mother material? Someone who is constantly having an abortion without any thought probably not up for mother of the year. kwim?
August 17th, 2006, 12:53 AM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
When I met Gloria Steniem, she told us that part of the reason why she fought for these rights, other than having her own abortion experience, was because in those days, there would be a panel of non-doctors, and a nun comprised of the debate... She was a reporter at the time and went to cover them.[/b]
Can you imagine being faced with a horrible decision and having to face a panal like that???

Quote:
Although there are women out there that just don't care. One of the girls I cheerleaded with my senior year had 6 abortions by the time she was 19! She used it as a form of birthcontrol and could care less and had no emotion toward it at all.[/b]
I knew a girl like that too. Except the girl I knew, I am sure she was lying.

But with the girl that you knew, do you honestly think she was mother material? Someone who is constantly having an abortion without any thought probably not up for mother of the year. kwim?
[/b]

I understand this believe me I do... but for god sakes after 6 abortions why can't you get on some form of birthcontrol??

August 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I understand this believe me I do... but for god sakes after 6 abortions why can't you get on some form of birthcontrol??[/b]
Too irresponsible.. There are just some you can't control.
August 17th, 2006, 09:45 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
So, I hope that can explain how this can happen...even just a little bit, (NOT that I agree with it in the least; I just recognize that there are circumstances where a woman may think it is the best alternative...)[/b]
I'm so glad you posted this because sometime I get too caught up in how to explain it to someone who thinks it's irresponsible in the first place.. I would prefer to post something like what you just posted ~ so thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search