30 days!

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The show 30 days on FX will be focusing on the pro-choice movement tonight (Wed August 23rd) If you have never heard of or seen the show, the basic premise is that someone from a completely opposing veiwpoint has to spend 30 days with someone who's view they don't agree with-so this will, I'm assuming, be a pro-lifer spending 30 says with a pro-choice person. It should be very interesting and thought provoking for both sides, check your local listings!
August 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Actually it's about an avid pro-choice woman spending 30 days in a pro-life home for pregnant women. That's going to be interesting!![/b]
Oops! Thats what I get for relaying secondhand information It should still be good though!
August 23rd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Bow2thePrincess's Avatar Veteran
Wow.. can't wait for this episode. It should be very thought provoking. I hope both sides make good logical points!

Brittany and Paul
June, 18th 2003

Maddux Talan
April, 24th 2006

</div>
August 23rd, 2006, 04:55 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
10pm??? I wonder if I'll be awake.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm totally NOT missing PR for that.... but I would like to know what happens...

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
August 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm totally NOT missing PR for that.... but I would like to know what happens...[/b]

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

August 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just watched it. It cam right back on at 11pm and I have DVR so I watched both It was very interesting. But it did make me ill, to see all the tactics the pro-life movement uses. And it was also sad to see that they have to have armed gaurds at abortion clinics to keep the women safe (and this coming from someone who is personally pro-life). Like I have said before, I dont think I could ever have one, but its not my place to tell/judge others. It makes me sad that no one takes the women into consideration (and that is a big change from how I used to feel). Sorry about the rambling

August 24th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
As a whole, I didn't like it...For many reasons.

I honestly think that, by the way the prolifers were portrayed AS A WHOLE, the producer/director must've been pro-choice.

I don't condone violence in ANY way. I don't think it is right to place signs of these dead babies in a place where CHILDREN are. To women considering abortion, YES...To children, NO. Not all prolifers are violent, crude, and judgemental. And to me, that is how it was portrayed.

Of course the pro-choicer was made out to be the "sympathetic, non-judgemental, perfect" person. Not everyone who is pro-life is judgemental and crude. And not everyone who is pro-choice is judgemental and crude...BUT there ARE some like that on BOTH sides. And THAT wasn't shown. Biased, IMO.[/b]
I disagree...the pro-life side was not only represented by the angry protesters (although that side was portrayed, because it is a huge distinguishing factor of the pro-life movement) the main focus was the maternity home, which was seen as a very sympathetic and non-judgemental place. Even if I don't agree with the tactics used there, I still think that the home was an awesome resource and this is coming from someone who is pro-choice. I didn't agree with the "sidewalk counseling" because I see that as harassing people...I mean, who knows if the woman they are following and trying to talk to is going in for a D&C b/c she miscarried, or needs to have an abortion because she was raped or her life is in danger? But overall the pastor and his wife were portrayed as sympathetic characters. I thought that the pro-choice woman (forgot her name) was great, but I would hardly call her "perfect"...I can see why a pro-lifer would not like her, she did say on a couple occasions that a fetus was not a life. Overall I think the show was good, but didn't really break any new ground...I do feel more pro-choice after watching it though. I felt sick when I saw the images of the aborted babies displayed in front of children, and those poor women being harassed, it's really sad that some people pro-lifers have to stoop to that level
August 24th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I honestly think that, by the way the prolifers were portrayed AS A WHOLE, the producer/director must've been pro-choice.

I don't condone violence in ANY way. I don't think it is right to place signs of these dead babies in a place where CHILDREN are. To women considering abortion, YES...To children, NO. Not all prolifers are violent, crude, and judgemental. And to me, that is how it was portrayed.

Of course the pro-choicer was made out to be the "sympathetic, non-judgemental, perfect" person. Not everyone who is pro-life is judgemental and crude. And not everyone who is pro-choice is judgemental and crude...BUT there ARE some like that on BOTH sides. And THAT wasn't shown. Biased, IMO.[/b]
I disagree. I grew up in the pro-life movement. I do know that not all pro-lifers are like the protesters, but a lot of them are like that. I have seen it first hand. I didnt find the pro-choice lady perfect at all. Not all pro-choicers beleive that a fetus isnt a life. It was just an example. What I found most informative were the stats and personal stories. The thing that makes me the most angry about the pro-life movement is the blatant misinformation they use.

The pro-lifers could also never answer what we would do with 46 million more babies a year (world wide). Who is going to take care of them? What social systems do the pro-lifers plan to set up to take care of all the babies that would be born if abortion was not legal? And the whole 1/3 of this generation has been wiped out has another side to it. There are not even enough jobs for the 2/3 left, where would all these other people have worked? Its a great dream to want to have no abortions, but its simply not practical.

August 24th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree. I grew up in the pro-life movement. I do know that not all pro-lifers are like the protesters, but a lot of them are like that. I have seen it first hand. I didnt find the pro-choice lady perfect at all. Not all pro-choicers beleive that a fetus isnt a life. It was just an example. What I found most informative were the stats and personal stories. The thing that makes me the most angry about the pro-life movement is the blatant misinformation they use.

The pro-lifers could also never answer what we would do with 46 million more babies a year (world wide). Who is going to take care of them? What social systems do the pro-lifers plan to set up to take care of all the babies that would be born if abortion was not legal? And the whole 1/3 of this generation has been wiped out has another side to it. There are not even enough jobs for the 2/3 left, where would all these other people have worked? Its a great dream to want to have no abortions, but its simply not practical.
[/b]
ITA Jen! That made me stop and think...I was totally straddling the line before but now I consider myself 100% pro-choice. Like she said, all pro-choicers wish there were less abortions. Shoot, I wish it didn't have to exist at all! I'm totally for mandatory counseling and for a greater availability of options, but we simply don't have the support systems in place to deal with 46 million more babies a year, especially if the majority of them are unplanned or unwanted! If a pro-lifer can show me how this can be dealt with, I'll change my mind, but I have yet to see a valid proposed solution.
August 24th, 2006, 09:22 AM
mrobinson
I'm happy to hear this show was that good..

now if my area could have access to this show..
August 24th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
it's really sad that some people pro-lifers have to stoop to that level[/b]

Quote:
The protestors holding the disgusting posters of pictures of aborted fetuses (I'm not sure if it really was again) on the side walk chanting......as children walked by!! My gosh!![/b]
I agree that there is a time and place to show those images...and that the time and place is NOT in front of children....People get so passionate about things, and they don't actually think through the process sometimes....which is human...but it IS sad...and not called for....

I also think it is sad that the abortion clinic had been bombed, (bombed, right? I can't remember exactly what she said), and that the owner (right?), was held hostage....that just defeats the purpose...If we are trying to save the children...HOW are we doing that when we are killing the women, WHO house the children??? That didn't make sense to me at all...Nor do I think these women should die...not in the least...

But, there are "passive" pro-lifers...and I think that that is what made me a little upset...because they only showed the "bad" side of por-life....Whereas they didn't show any "bad" side to prochoice....She was so happy to be around the kids...she was so disgusted at the protestors...she befriended a pregnant lady there....she did this, and did that....they critiqued everything about the maternity home...From the videos that were being showed, to the ones that were not being showed enough....to this and that....I dunno....I did watch the entire show; twice...so it WAS good entertainment...lol, but I don't think it was "revolutionary"....
[/b][/quote]

Well to be fair I think that she represents the majority of pro-choicers. We aren't enamored with abortion, we love children, we are disgusted by extreme pro-life tactics...I so often feel that people equate pro-choice with being pro-abortion, anti-babies, anti-life (you see previous posters on this board who have implied that pro-choicers do not love their own children) I was happy that she wasn't portrayed that way....as for "passive" pro-lifers, well, that wouldn't make for very good television now would it?

Anyways, this brings up a question in my mind...off to start a new topic!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search