Did being pregnant change your views on abortion?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2006, 06:55 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all, I must say I can't believe I'm posting in this forum. I usually steer clear of abortion debates, and I've only briefly skimmed through some of these debates. Still, I have been wondering one thing...

Did being pregnant change your views on abortion?

It did and didn't for me at the same time. I have always struggled with my exact stance on the abortion debate, and I think experiencing pregnancy this past year polarized my own beliefs even more.

On the one hand, pregnancy, childbirth, and the post-partum period were far more difficult than I ever knew. My entire being was consumed by this 24/7 for almost a year. I was sick every day the first trimester and so uncomfortable I could barely do anything the last trimester. I tore during delivery and actually, STILL feel like I'm recovering from those tears more than four months later.

While I was pregnant, I thought of teenage girls who just didn't understand what they were getting into. I at least had the joy of creating a life my husband and I were so excited to receive. I can't imagine enduring the physical consequences for all of that time and also being stressed out about what is going to become of me, what am I going to do, why did I do this, etc. It seemed horribly unfair that strangers should force such a situation on someone who was possibly naive to it all. My body will never be the same after giving birth.

After giving birth, I was amazed at how difficult the recovery was. I thought of those women who carried their babies, delivered them, and then gave them for adoption. I thought how difficult it must be to be feeling all of those horrible uterine cramps, to be recovering from any tears, the bleeding, to be dealing with engorgement, etc., etc. I thought of how much these women must struggle with their decision while they recover. How difficult that must be to be physically reminded of their experience all of this time.

Then, on the other hand, the experience of being pregnant only strengthened my view that I was carrying a live baby. I loved her so much before I ever met her. I saw her heart beating at 8 weeks, I saw her arms and legs swinging around at 18 weeks, I saw her face so clearly in a 3-D sonogram at 23 weeks. I watched her yawn, stretch, and suck her thumb. I felt her moving inside of me, but more incredible, I felt her moving in response to other things going on! Whenever there was loud music, I felt her respond. Whenever I would get up and start walking, I felt her stop moving. Whenever there was a sudden noise, I felt her jump. When she dropped, I could feel her hands rubbing way, way down there and sure enough, she still loves rubbing her face. It's amazing to me that this little life was inside of me.

So really, I guess in the end, pregnancy didn't really change my mind about it, but it did intensify both ends of my inner argument incredibly. It's the most incredible thing I've ever experienced, and I'm just thankful I was in a situation to never have to consider the question. Just curious if it impacted anyone else?

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
September 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have to say yes. Before I had children I really didnt care either way (which is bad, but I was pretty young). Now after seeing how precious life is.. I'm very much pro-life.

Josie

September 8th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was pro-choice before and am very much still pro-choice.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

September 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
kadydid
No it didn't.

Although I used to be 100% pro life. At least for myself, I was being very closed minded and not really taking everything that I could into consideration. I was buying into all the rhetoric and not taking real life situations into consideration.

As it is right now, I am 100% pro choice, but only because I don't see anyway around it.
September 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM
chlodoll
I am still 100% pro-choice. I dont think there is anything that could change my view.
September 9th, 2006, 09:34 AM
irishxrose
I'm still pro-choice.
September 11th, 2006, 12:31 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Yes, actually, it did.

I was very much pro-choice before I got pregnant. Then I did, and it was unexpected (my DH and I were planning on kids when I finished my degree), and from the second, literally the *second* that second line showed up on the pregnancy test, I could feel my whole stance shift. I was just in amazement, at even 3, 4, 5 weeks pregnant that there was a LIFE growing inside of me! That I would have a child. I finally understood my mom's opinion, in which she said "If you planted a sunflower seed, and it began to grow underneath the ground but hadn't get sprouted above ground, and then you took your thumb and squashed it out, would you have just killed that sunflower plant?".

My best friend from high school recently told me she had an abortion a few months ago. I think it was one of the saddest things I ever heard, she was the first person I knew personally to have an abortion. And just thinking that my DD at 5 weeks was the same as HER child aborted at 5 weeks...and here I have my DD sitting in front of me, learning every second of every day, and she will not have anything, makes me want to cry.
September 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
I was pro-choice prior to my pregnancy and I still am.
Amanda
September 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Accidentally double posted.
Amanda
September 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have always been pro-life....I can't see that changing. I also don't want to make it illegal - I just wish no one used the option - if that makes any sense.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I was pro-choice before and am pro-choice now. When I think of abortion now I tend to personalize it. I can't help but think of my here and now son. It makes me sad to think if I had aborted him (which was never a question) I couldn't look into his bright smiley blue eyes. But...I still respect a woman's right to choose!

September 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Shannie
I have always been pro-choice and nothing could make me pro-life, pregnancy included. At this point though I don't think I could personally have an abortion but I think women deserve the option - although it really upsets me when you hear about women having multiple abortions because they don't use birth control.
September 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Dayna1
Yes it did. I had always said that if I had an unwanted pregnancy I would have an abortion. Well I had an unwanted pregnancy, and now my four month old baby boy is the love of my life. After feeling him move and falling inlove with him before I met him, I know I couldn't ever have an abortion.
September 22nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
No, it hasn't. I've always been Pro-Choice and I still very much am. I don't see that changing anytime soon either.
September 25th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Not really on a political level...I still believe in a womans right to choose. But it has made me change my mind on a few things...for one, the 20 week cutoff. I had no idea what that was until I myself was 5 months pregnant and could feel my daughter kicking up a storm in there...and there is no doubt in my mind that she is very much a life. I can't even fathom having an abortion at that point and I do think it should be illegal. I think the legal cutoff for an elective abortion (not for severe fetal anomolies or the womans life etc) should be the first trimester.
It did change my mind on having one personally. I did have one before, and it didn't feel real to me...like I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that this "thing" inside of me was a life (I do consider it a life from the moment of conception now, personally) But going through my pregnancy, it just brings me to the realization that abortion is something I personally could never do again, not in a billion years. As a mother I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
September 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Acually it made my views concrete and more prolife. Though I do feel intense unbiased counsling should be provided after the first trimester and with multiple abortions. A mother makes the best posable choose for herself, her family and her child. YES somtimes abortion is best for the child depending on the parent.

September 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
I was very pro-choice before getting pregnant with my daughter, and being pregnant made me even more pro-choice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search