Fetal Psychology

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Veteran
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-640.html

Read the article at the link above, it's several pages, but worth reading. What are your thoughts on it? It addresses abortion in the article and says that the article is not intended to persuade people to become pro-life, because that is a moral and ethical issue. But what do you all think?

Particularly those of you who believe that life begins at birth?
September 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM
mrobinson
I thought that was an awesome article! Thank you for posting it!

Quote:
It addresses abortion in the article and says that the article is not intended to persuade people to become pro-life, because that is a moral and ethical issue. But what do you all think? Particularly those of you who believe that life begins at birth?[/b]
Many of the scientists engaged in studying the fetus, however, remain detached from the abortion controversy, insisting that their work is completely irrelevant to the debate.

"I don't think that fetal research informs the issue at all," contends psychologist Janet DiPietro of Johns Hopkins University. "The essence of the abortion debate is: When does life begin?

Like DiPietro, AIs realizes that "people may use this research as an emotional way to draw people to the pro-life side, but it should not be used by belligerent activists." Instead, she believes, it should be applied to helping mothers have the healthiest pregnancy possible and preparing them to best parent their child. Columbia University psychologist William Fifer agrees. "The research is much more relevant for issues regarding viable fetuses--preemies."

Simply put, say the three, their work is intended to help the babies that live--not to decide whether fetuses should.

I think that the fetus is alive and kicking.. always have.. But it's not a guarentee any baby will live outside the womb.. even at full term. Until it's not in the women, it's the women's choice as it's still her body. This research is developing all the time and I think it's awesome for everyone to know. I loved the part about stress because so many people think it's ok to do certain things (like scream at each other) and it doesn't effect the baby.. They are wrong. Babies stress is from mom's stress. So many points ~ I loved it.
September 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Veteran
I thought it was reallly interesting too. I am taking Child Psychology for school and the professor had us read that article.

I thought it was really interesting that a baby's personality develops while still in the womb! And also that the uterus is larger and the cord is longer in subsequent babies.
September 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
I thought the article was great! I was majoring in psychology before I got pregnant and I really like this article. There were a lot of things I didn't know before!
Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search