Human Life

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What makes a human human? Many people believe human life begins at the moment of conception. Why do you feel this?

Why does the cell at the moment on conception deserve the same right to life as a living child? as the mother?

If the cell at conception DOES have the right to life, how do we go about giving that life due process? For example, if the cell at the time of conception deserves the right to life and then implants in the tube, does the criteria for right to life then become "if something will not survive it does not have the right to life?"

If a human has the right to life and the cell/cells of the fertilzed egg have the right to life, why does that change when the cells create danger for the mother?
September 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
What makes a human human?[/b]
That's easy....2 pairs of chromosones from each parent , (some abnormalities occur, and yes, of course they are still human).
[/b][/quote]

Easy? That's strange, if it is so simple why hasn't science, or society come to an agreement on the conclusion?
It is your opinion, not fact, and I still don't think you answered the question in the OP.
Quote:
Why does the cell at the moment on conception deserve the same right to life as a living child? as the mother?

If the cell at conception DOES have the right to life, how do we go about giving that life due process? For example, if the cell at the time of conception deserves the right to life and then implants in the tube, does the criteria for right to life then become "if something will not survive it does not have the right to life?"

If a human has the right to life and the cell/cells of the fertilzed egg have the right to life, why does that change when the cells create danger for the mother?[/b]

September 20th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What makes a human human?[/b]
The ability to think more then an animal

September 21st, 2006, 05:30 AM
Regular
Ok, I had a preemie. Granted, she was 34 weeker, but when I was in the NICU there were babies in there that were young enough to have been aborted. So, here is my question. Many of those babies eventaully made it. Can you tell those moms and dads who were in there every day crying and begging for their babies to be OK that that baby did not have life? I think it is pretty sad to define a baby as having life just when the mom wants the baby. If the baby is wanted during pregnancy, it's a baby. If it is not wanted, it is a fetus.

I have a friend whose amnio came back positive for down's. THe doctor recommended she terminate. She could already feel the baby kicking and refused. The girl was born perfectly normal.

Life begins at conception. Whether or not it can survive outside hte womb does not dictate life. if the baby implants in the tube, then that is the same as a stillbirth. Would you say the stillborn baby was not a baby? If so, why do moms have to have a funeral if they miscarry after three months?
September 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When we give humans rights, we have a process by which we remove those rights, known as "due process" (in the USA)

If these cells are human, how do we go about giving them due process?

Or are they a different kind of human? Is that even possible? What does our law say about this?
September 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
If the baby is wanted during pregnancy, it's a baby. If it is not wanted, it is a fetus.[/b]
A fetus is something that isn't living outside the womb. A baby is. What really is wrong here is where we don't give the term fetus it's credit. A fetus is a developing baby. I accept that fact. I may lose my fetus but that doesn't mean I give it any less meaning than saying I lost my baby...
September 21st, 2006, 10:45 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Just kinda doesn't sound right....sounds like an animal to me than a baby....[/b]
That's because the pro-life camp has devalued the meaning of fetus. Not to mention, there are tons of people that don't value animals so what you said could be an insult to some but certainly a huge loss to me.
September 21st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This sparks an interesting question on animals- I put it in the heated debates area
September 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I would CERTAINLY be more distraught over my child dying, than my pet. kwim?[/b]
I don't understand.. I highly value humans and animals. I've read so many people here say the same thing as you so I know you are not alone.
September 21st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I saw a review for this book about how to parent a pet....I'm not sure if that is how they worded it, but the book was about the difference in owners whose pets are really, truly part of the family and those that don't exactly follow that. For the life of me I can't remember the title, but it seemed interesting.
September 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I saw a review for this book about how to parent a pet....I'm not sure if that is how they worded it, but the book was about the difference in owners whose pets are really, truly part of the family and those that don't exactly follow that. For the life of me I can't remember the title, but it seemed interesting.[/b]
I think I'm going to try to find it!
September 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It came out in the past year and was reviewed on CNN (saw the story at the airport tvs)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search