Do you consider.....

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
kadydid
YES I think they are hypocrites. I think people who even consider their options a hypocrite. I once was a hypocrite. I learned the moment I considered my options that I just used my right to choose. I was not pregnant so I did not have to go through with my choice. Just knowing that I had a choice, and considering it, is a choice, from that moment on I was pro choice.
October 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I guess it depends on the individual. Maybe she had an abortion and it negatively affected her life. maybe she's had a hard time overcoming it mentally and emotionally. Maybe that turned her against abortions and she is now pro-life? I don't know...I think if she is out having multiple abortions but preaching how bad they are...then yes that is hypocritical. Otherwise...we don't know her reasons. Maybe her abortions made her pro-life.

October 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
kadydid
"The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion"
October 2nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Nah, I don't think that they are hypocrites. Situations changes our opinions everyday....so, then we ALL must be hypocrites in some ways? I think that time and experience helps mold our views, and I think that that has happened to every single person on this earth, so then therefore, we must all be terribly hypocritical....I don't think it is a bad or unusual thing to have experience and the passing of time mold our views...lol, but maybe that is just me.

Now if the situation was like abortion after abortion after abortion....I dunno...tough one to answer there.[/b]
So if a woman is pro life and has an abortion and continues to be pro life she is not a hypocrite??

And IMO the women that were pro choice before hand had an abortion and then later on became anti choice forgot what it was like for women faced with difficult decisions.
October 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
"I used this service and now I am going to fight to make sure no one else can use it"

Yep, hypocrite.

Doesn't mean they can't go ahead and fight for what they want, but, as per the definition of the word, you are now a "do as I say not as I do"er.
October 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
kadydid
Quote:
"I used this service and now I am going to fight to make sure no one else can use it"

Yep, hypocrite.

Doesn't mean they can't go ahead and fight for what they want, but, as per the definition of the word, you are now a "do as I say not as I do"er.[/b]
Exactly
October 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We may all be hypocrites in some ways, but when you look specifically at the abortion debate, a woman who uses teh service and then turns around and fights to make it so that other women cannot use the service is a hypocrite.

That doesn't mean we can't debate with that person. It logically doesn't even diminish their argument (ad hominem attacks are a fallacy- so it's not like you can attack her person- tu quoque is also a fallacy, which is accusing the debater of being guilty themself).

It does, however, lead to questions about "experiences" and understanding where other women are coming from.
October 3rd, 2006, 04:32 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I will agree with one thing Mommieof3 has said here - hindsight is 20/20. Definately. No one is infallible.

I read the link katydid posted, and all I can say is, there are an equal number if not more of pro-lifers (or anti-choicers, as that link wanted to call it) who have never had abortions. And there are probably a number of pro-choicers who had an abortion and turned pro-life. Does that make them hypocrites, too? There are always extremists, and hypocrites, and people who have fickle opinions.

As to the O/P:
Do you consider a woman who has had an abortion(s) but is pro-life a hypocrite? Someone who has had abortion(s) but is now pro-life because they've "seen the light". Or someone who was pro-life to begin with and had an abortion due to any reason and is still pro-life. Your thoughts.....

First question - it depends on the situation. If a 14 year old had an abortion, regretted it, and turned pro-life at 21 years of age...no. That's the hindsight's 20/20 part.

Second question - same answer as the first, minus "it...situation".

Third question - I don't know. But yeah, probably a hypocrite. Your aborted fetus cannot be different than anyone else's murdered baby, just because it's you under-going the procedure.
October 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Do you consider a woman who has had an abortion(s) but is pro-life a hypocrite? Someone who has had abortion(s) but is now pro-life because they've "seen the light". Or someone who was pro-life to begin with and had an abortion due to any reason and is still pro-life. Your thoughts.....[/b]
I would love to just say yes they are hypocrites but I can't. (I will explain)

"We too have seen our share of anti-choice women, ones the counselors usually grit their teeth over. Just last week a woman announced loudly enough for all to hear in the recovery room, that she thought abortion should be illegal. Amazingly, this was her second abortion within the last few months, having gotten pregnant again within a month of the first abortion. The nurse handled it by talking about all the carnage that went on before abortion was legalized and how fortunate she was to be receiving safe, professional care. However, this young woman continued to insist it was wrong and should be made illegal. Finally the nurse said, 'Well, I guess we won't be seeing you here again, not that you're not welcome.' Later on, another patient who had overheard this exchange thanked the nurse for her remarks." (Clinic Administrator, Alberta)
That's my stomping grounds...

Quote:
There are always extremists, and hypocrites, and people who have fickle opinions.[/b]
This statement is what I mean.. There are so many factors to why people do what they do.
October 7th, 2006, 02:28 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I would need a more specific example. I would think there are hypocrytical cases of this & cases that are not hypocritical. I smoked at 18, but I would really like to see that age lifted to 21 like drinking...does that make me a hypocrite? I drank underage & would like to see better parental involvement to curtail that...there are a MILLION things I have done & don't want others to follow in my footsteps. If a woman turned pro-life after an abortion - I would think most often it would fall into that type of category - not that she excercised some right & then wants to deprive others of it - but that she experienced something terrible & wants to save others from it - why else would someone have an abortion & then want to try & make it illegal. If she felt it truly helped her in some way - I am certian she would be the last one to push the pro-life mesage. IN the same way I would think someone that feels they have benefitted from abortion to be a particularly strong advocate for it. Anyway - I guess that sums it up - I don't think on the face of it - it's necessarily hypocritical, but it would depend on the situation obviously.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM
SugarNSpice's Avatar VBAC Mommy!!!
Send a message via MSN to SugarNSpice Send a message via Yahoo to SugarNSpice
I think ppl who have had/do have abortions are NOT pro-life. And if they claim to be...they are lying. You can't be both and you can't be on the fence. You either are or you aren't.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search