Magazine will print names of women

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/ms-ma...S00010000000001

Ms. Magazine Names Women Who Had Abortions
Quote:
Over 5,000 Sign Petition for Cover Article Saying They Are Unashamed of Decision
By DAVID CRARY, AP

AP
Eleanor Smeal says naming individuals was a way to "get women's lives back in the picture."

NEW YORK (Oct. 4) - At a pivotal time in the abortion debate, Ms. magazine is releasing its fall issue next week with a cover story titled "We Had Abortions," accompanied by the names of thousands of women nationwide who signed a petition making that declaration.

The publication coincides with what the abortion-rights movement considers a watershed moment for its cause. Abortion access in many states is being curtailed, activists are uncertain about the stance of the U.S. Supreme Court, and South Dakotans vote Nov. 7 on a measure that would ban virtually all abortions in their state, even in cases of rape and incest.

"All this seems very dire," said Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority Foundation, which publishes Ms.

"We have to get away from what the politicians are saying," she said, "and get women's lives back in the picture."

Even before the issue reaches newsstands Oct. 10, anti-abortion activists have been decrying it. Judie Brown, president of the American Life League, wrote in a commentary that when she saw a Ms. announcement of the project, "the evil practically jumped right off the page."

Ms. executive editor Katherine Spillar said more than 5,000 women have signed the petition so far -- heeding its appeal to declare they are unashamed of the choice they made. The magazine itself had room for only 1,016 names, she said Tuesday, but all of them will be viewable online as Ms. encourages other women to continue adding their signatures.

Ms. says it will send the petition to Congress, the White House and state legislators.

The signatories include Ms. founder Gloria Steinem, comedian Carol Leifer, and actresses Kathy Najimy and Amy Brenneman, but most are not famous names.

Tyffine Jones, 27, of Jackson, Miss., said she had no hesitation about signing -- although she lives in a state where restrictions on abortion are tough and all but one abortion clinic has been closed.

Jones said she got an abortion 10 years ago -- enduring harassment from protesters when she entered the clinic -- in order to finish high school. She went on to become the first member of her family to graduate from college, and hopes at some point to attend law school.

"I wanted to do something bigger with myself -- I didn't want to be stopped by anything," she said in a telephone interview.

Another signatory, Debbie Findling of San Francisco, described her difficult decision last year to have an abortion after tests showed that she would bear a son with Down syndrome.

"I felt it was my right to make the decision, but having that right doesn't make the decision any easier," she said. "It was the hardest decision I've ever made."

Findling, 42, is married, with a 5-year-old daughter, and has been trying to get pregnant again while pursuing her career as a philanthropic foundation executive.

She says too many of her allies in the abortion-rights movement tend to minimize, at least publicly, the psychological impact of abortion.

"It's emotionally devastating," she said in a phone interview. "I don't regret my decision -- but I regret having been put in the position to have to make that choice. It's something I'll live with for the rest of my life."

Findling strongly supports the Ms. petition, and believes women who have had abortions need to be more open about their decisions. She has written an essay about her own experience, and plans to include it in an anthology she hopes to publish next year.

Ms. mounted this kind of petition drive when it was first published. Its debut issue in 1972 included a manifesto signed by 53 women -- many of them well-known -- declaring that they had undergone abortions despite state laws outlawing the procedure.

The next year, the Supreme Court issued its Roe v. Wade decision establishing abortion rights nationwide. Some abortion-rights activists are concerned that Roe could be overturned, either by the current court or if President Bush has the opportunity to appoint one more justice.

Smeal said Ms. staffers called the women who signed the petition to verify their information and be sure they were willing to have their names in print.

"The women thanked us for doing this," Smeal said. "They wanted to tell their stories."[/b]

October 4th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Desperate times...

Unorthodox action is sometimes the only way.
October 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
kadydid
Good for them! I think they are right and I think they are brave.
October 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
DiamondsGlow
So does that mean Amy Brenneman had an abortion???????If so I love Judging Amy but I swear im never watching it again.

What exucse could someone who is famous have for an abortion? They have all this money where they can hire a darn nanny 24/7 to take care of the baby.

I loved Jennifer Lopez excuse, She said she did not want mixed babies and her career was just kicking off , girls a bloody moron.
October 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Good for them! I think they are right and I think they are brave. [/b]
ITA!!

Quote:
So does that mean Amy Brenneman had an abortion???????If so I love Judging Amy but I swear im never watching it again.[/b]
Well, that will show her!!

Quote:
What exucse could someone who is famous have for an abortion?[/b]
What business is it of yours?

Quote:
They have all this money where they can hire a darn nanny 24/7 to take care of the baby.[/b]
yes, childcare...that is the ONLY reason holding people back from carrying out unwanted pregnancies!

October 4th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Super Mommy
When I first saw the topic, I thought it meant they were doing it without permission from the women.

I think that if they want to get their stories out, that's good they can do that. They are very brave to let it out. I don't know all their circumstances, nor do I care to know. It's not my place to judge them. But, whatever their reasons behind getting an abortion, I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice and I'm sure a lot of them had a hard time dealing with it. I think for those who did struggle and had a hard time, maybe it will help them in their healing process.

October 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:
So does that mean Amy Brenneman had an abortion???????If so I love Judging Amy but I swear im never watching it again.

What exucse could someone who is famous have for an abortion? They have all this money where they can hire a darn nanny 24/7 to take care of the baby.

I loved Jennifer Lopez excuse, She said she did not want mixed babies and her career was just kicking off , girls a bloody moron.[/b]

So what if Amy had an abortion. You will never watch her show again? Good she doesnt need support from you anyways your too judgemental.

What excuse could someone who is famous have for an abortion? Hmmm maybe the same as any other woman.

So lets have a baby so our nannies can watch them.... real good

So because Jennifers excuse isnt good enough for you shes a bloody moron? Good thing you never had to be challenged and had to go through what tons of women do, because you're perfect
[/b]
BB you are a mind reader!
October 5th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I loved Jennifer Lopez excuse, She said she did not want mixed babies and her career was just kicking off , girls a bloody moron.[/b]
Oy vey.

Anyways, I think it is great! More power to them, if I had been given the petition I would have signed it in a second. Not because I'm proud, but because I'm not ashamed.
October 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM
irishxrose
Quote:

What are you freaking out about? It wasn't YOUR body, YOUR money, or YOUR mind that was being affected. It's their choice... not yours.
October 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
She said she did not want mixed babies and her career was just kicking off[/b]
I have to agree here with DiamondsGlow on this one...(IF it is true, which I DO NOT know....)...

But, an abortion because of a mixed child??? Mixed children are BEAUTIFUL, and DO NOT deserve to die because they are mixed.... How ignorant can someone be? (Again, I DO NOT know if this is true or not, but I am replying as if it were true).
[/b][/quote]

it doesnt sound very true. even if she felt that way i dont think she would tell the media that. it must have been one of her "close personal friends"
October 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I have to agree here with DiamondsGlow on this one...[/b]
Would you then consider responding to some of the questions directed at DiamondsGlow?

Quote:
it doesnt sound very true. even if she felt that way i dont think she would tell the media that. it must have been one of her "close personal friends"[/b]
I've notices she knows many people who have very extreme ways of handling life...
October 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree here with DiamondsGlow on this one...(IF it is true, which I DO NOT know....)...

But, an abortion because of a mixed child??? Mixed children are BEAUTIFUL, and DO NOT deserve to die because they are mixed.... How ignorant can someone be? (Again, I DO NOT know if this is true or not, but I am replying as if it were true).
[/b][/quote]

OK, I'm pretty sure this is just a rumor (a very hurtful and viscous rumor at that) I highly doubt that Jennifer Lopez or any celebrity for that matter would even admit to having an abortion in the first place, especially for such reasons. Seeing as we live in such a judgemental society, it's safe to say that would be a career ender. I'm no J-Lo fan but she is a business savvy woman. Unlike DiamondsGlow I don't believe everything I read in Star Magazine or what my cousins uncles brothers half neice told me to be the absolute truth.
October 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
So does that mean Amy Brenneman had an abortion???????If so I love Judging Amy but I swear im never watching it again.[/b]

1 out of every 2.5 women will have had an abortion by the time theirr in their 40's so if you dont want to associate with those who had them your probably best to keep to yourself!
October 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
Good for them!! If they wanna tell their stories, let them tell their stories!

Quote:

Ok whatever you want to do..if the fact that she has had an abortion and isn't ashamed of that takes the entertainment value out of her show for you, so be it. I'm sure she don't want you watching if that's how you feel anyway.
Your thinking about why people should keep children is very distorted and a little sickening. Why would I have a child just so I can pawn it off on a nanny 24/7? Do you wish that you had the ability to do this because I mean you bring it up alot?! It's like your recuring theme as to why women shouldn't have abortions, because they have the money for a 24 hour nanny. Which, IMHO, is stupid.
Jennifer Lopez, huh? Where did she come up? And what exactly is that an excuse for? Do you even know?

Quote:
Quote:

[/b][/quote]

By the way she put the J.Lo quote, I'm thinking it was something along the lines of a question about when she will have children or when she will want children, if she even said it. Let us remember this is a woman who has been married to and dated men of alot of diffrent races, so I realy don't see her as being opposed to mixed babies, ya know? I have heard that she has said she wants a family, and if she didn't want a mixed family I doubt she would've been engaged to black or white men, being as she is peurto rican. I don't think she said "I had an abortion because I didn't want mixed babies" that would be ignorant and not to mention a PR disaster for her.
October 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Quote:
I am really curious as to where this "quote" (and I use the term loosely) came from? I cannot find any such information of Jennifer Lopez ever saying such a thing.

October 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
Quote:
Quote:

I am really curious as to where this "quote" (and I use the term loosely) came from? I cannot find any such information of Jennifer Lopez ever saying such a thing.
[/b]
Oh let's just face it Jennifer Lopez is a closet racist and aborts all the mixed babies that she's concieved with Diddy and Ben Afleck, I heard she's had 15 all together.

IF she was quoted as saying that, I'm sure it was a very questionable source..like oh say a tabloid that Diamonds Glow saw at the Piggly Wiggly in the check out line. I bet it was in the one that reported something like "Paris Hilton and Michael Jackson have lobster baby love child"
October 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Oh let's just face it Jennifer Lopez is a closet racist and aborts all the mixed babies that she's concieved with Diddy and Ben Afleck, I heard she's had 15 all together.

IF she was quoted as saying that, I'm sure it was a very questionable source..like oh say a tabloid that Diamonds Glow saw at the Piggly Wiggly in the check out line. I bet it was in the one that reported something like "Paris Hilton and Michael Jackson have lobster baby love child"
[/b]
You mean that's not true!? But the Bat Boy is my baby daddies cousins sisters neice in law!!!! And I was chilling with Elvis last night!!!!

Oh man....this thread has taken a turn huh?
October 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondsGlow @ Oct 4 2006, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

You mean that's not true!? But the Bat Boy is my baby daddies cousins sisters neice in law!!!! And I was chilling with Elvis last night!!!!

Oh man....this thread has taken a turn huh?
[/b][/quote]
That bat boy is really nice, I met him once!
Oh yeah, and I just sent out this email and now Bill Gates is going to give me a million dollars just for forwarding it on!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search