Oh my flippin #$%^%

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My staff supervisor yesterday at the Distress Centre asked me the same thing!
more here[/b]

It sounds a lot like a mixture of depression and PTSD to me. It's like they looked in the DSM and took the diagnostic criteria for both right out of there. Did that organization create that list? I happened to notice it was a Christian organization.
[/b]
You're exactly right ~ it's a huge mixture of things... There are lots of (abortion, yet not actual mental health affliated) organizations that agree on this...

This website contains information, help and resources for women dealing with Post Abortion Stress Syndrome, also referred to as "PASS". We provide neutral, non-judgmental, non-religion based, non-political online support, information, help and healing for women who've had an abortion. This site was created by "jilly", a woman who has recovered from her own struggles with PASS. Source

PAS stands for Post-Abortion Syndrome. It is a medical term that describes the pooling and clotting of blood in the uterus after an abortion. Unfortunately, the acronym "PAS" has been reincarnated by the anti-choice, and now suggests a causal link between abortion and mental illness. PAS is described as being very similar to post-traumatic stress disorder, and is promoted as being epidemic in proportion. source
[/b]
It does sound orchestrated by the anti-choice movement. Not that I doubt a bit that women may or may not experience these symptoms after they've made a choice to terminate a pregnancy. It can be an extremely difficult and devastating choice for a woman to make thus resulting in depression and PTSD. There are numerous life circumstances that may lead to the exact list of those symptoms.
November 9th, 2006, 07:06 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
It does sound orchestrated by the anti-choice movement. Not that I doubt a bit that women may or may not experience these symptoms after they've made a choice to terminate a pregnancy. It can be an extremely difficult and devastating choice for a woman to make thus resulting in depression and PTSD. There are numerous life circumstances that may lead to the exact list of those symptoms.[/b]
Which is exactly the problem of abortion.. The lifestyle and influences are so key about this issue.. So many reasons combined to end in this result..

I'm not saying every single female who has had an abortion gets PASS but I know there are girls here on JM that feel those symptoms.. I fought to get an abortion support forum here, was rejected but it eventually became a reality (thankfully!) Honestly, by just simply de-demonizing abortion and helping females have an open place to talk, these symptoms can help some of the girls who do suffer. I feel if they didn't have certain concepts (cultural it seems) then they wouldn't have to suffer with this at all. Lots of women can have an abortion and not be effected at this level because of these cultural differences.
November 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
It does sound orchestrated by the anti-choice movement. Not that I doubt a bit that women may or may not experience these symptoms after they've made a choice to terminate a pregnancy. It can be an extremely difficult and devastating choice for a woman to make thus resulting in depression and PTSD. There are numerous life circumstances that may lead to the exact list of those symptoms.[/b]
Which is exactly the problem of abortion.. The lifestyle and influences are so key about this issue.. So many reasons combined to end in this result..

I'm not saying every single female who has had an abortion gets PASS but I know there are girls here on JM that feel those symptoms.. I fought to get an abortion support forum here, was rejected but it eventually became a reality (thankfully!) Honestly, by just simply de-demonizing abortion and helping females have an open place to talk, these symptoms can help some of the girls who do suffer. I feel if they didn't have certain concepts (cultural it seems) then they wouldn't have to suffer with this at all. Lots of women can have an abortion and not be effected at this level because of these cultural differences.
[/b]

I know this wasn't what this original post was about. And I just might be the only who is annoyed by this PASS/PTSS thing. I am just curious on where these "terms" originated from. Because if it truly was something made up by a right-winged, anti-abortion group, I see it the opposite way. I see a fear tactic and a way that might further harm a woman who has chose to have an abortion. By taking already existing, quite common medical diagnoses and making their symptoms seem unique to having an abortion, I believe this could further harm a woman psychologically by making her feel "odd" or like she made a bad decision and now she has this disorder that was directly caused from her abortion. I would rather they explain that women who have aboritions might experieince symptoms of depression and PTSD and then list the symptoms, that normalizes their experiences and uses common terms that don't seem as dramatic and odd.
November 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
mrobinson
This thread here might help explain it better.. I think there are lots of women who are conditioned to feel guilt that end up like that.. but I know it's bigger than that, with their enviornment being a huge reason why too.. I used to feel like you but I whether or not it's right, women are feeling this.
November 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
This thread here might help explain it better.. I think there are lots of women who are conditioned to feel guilt that end up like that.. but I know it's bigger than that, with their enviornment being a huge reason why too.. I used to feel like you but I whether or not it's right, women are feeling this. [/b]

I don't know if I am making myself clear because I think we feel the same way here. As I said in my first post, I know women feel that way after a decision like that has been made. I am not arguing that point at all. Women are very likely to get symptoms of depression and PTSD after something like that. It's very real and very traumatic to them. I guess I might look at it differently because I am a psychotherapist who diagnoses people with these conditions and I'm just picturing some already traumitized woman waltzing in to my office and saying she's got PTSS or PASS, which is NOT a real condition.. It's totally made up! Their depression and PTSD symptoms are what is real and I just can't imagine some poor woman being told that she has a condition specifically because she had an abortion. To me, it's like kicking her when she's down. You mentioned in your above post "conditioned to feel guilt" and I think that telling someone they have these PTSS or PASS disorders would be part of that conditioning of guilt or a woman who happens to be doing research on having an abortion would come across this PTSS/PASS information and think it's some weird and unusual thing specifically related to abortion. That might sway her decisoin against it, which would be exactly what anti-choice people would like.
November 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
mrobinson
I think we totally agree.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search