A hypothetical

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you had the ability to outlaw abortions here and now and, in the same sweep of your magic wand, make illegal abortions nonexistant, would you exercise that power?

Why or Why not?

(feel free to make rape, incest, mothers health allowed- but still answer the same question)

Edit: this wand cannot change other conditions. I Just kinda used that to get away from the "coat hanger" abortion thing. I put forth this hypotheical because it is legally possible to outlaw like this, and I'm just giving the added benefit of no illegal abortions.
October 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
If you had the ability to outlaw abortions here and now and, in the same sweep of your magic wand, make illegal abortions nonexistant, would you exercise that power?

Why or Why not?

(feel free to make rape, incest, mothers health allowed- but still answer the same question)[/b]
((Actually your question just made me realize that if there is a God, was the same decision made? Hmm. Something new to ponder in my thoughts.))

Absolutely not... I personally feel that the urge to have abortions and carry through with them is completely natural. We, as mothers, know if we can care for a child or not. I think females have it bioligically telling us to make the "best" decision possible. How else could we take care of those children?
October 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, let's assume that your magic powers stop with this power. I just used that to take away the "well, then women would die of illegal coat hanger abortions" idea and focus more on the result.
October 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
It still would stop the massive amounts of "baby death" per year.[/b]
I think dumpster babies would dramatically rise and babies starving to death would be the norm.
October 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If that same magic wand made it so that no children were abandoned, starved, neglected or abused by people who had no right becoming parents, yes I would.
October 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
chlodoll
No thanks. I dont agree with the statement abortion is a neccsary evil. I dont think it is evil. I think its one of a womans most important right. i dont think its murder or killing dont think the women who have them are murders. If I could do anything with that magic wand I would help the women who society has guilted them into feeling bad for exercising their right to choose. They shouldnt feel guilty for making the right choice for themselves.
October 16th, 2006, 11:57 AM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:

Why or Why not?

(feel free to make rape, incest, mothers health allowed- but still answer the same question)[/b]
((Actually your question just made me realize that if there is a God, was the same decision made? Hmm. Something new to ponder in my thoughts.))

[/b]
If there is a god and he could change all this bad stuff, then why doesn't he wave his little wand. Either he doesn't want to, or he can't or he doesn't exist. And the first two IMO do not make much of a god.

I would not change the current laws, but I would provide free BC and MAP for everyone.

I agree with Michelle without abortion, infantcide would go up. Right now, that is what we have to help society, it may not be perfect, but IMO it's better than the alternative.
October 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Super Mommy
As hard as it is for me to believe I'm going to say this......no, I wouldn't outlaw it. Even if I could make the illegal abortions nonexistant. Not just because of the whole "it's her body her choice" idea, but because of what Michelle said.

Quote:
I think dumpster babies would dramatically rise and babies starving to death would be the norm.[/b]
That's the thing that gets me. That and all the children who are here and suffering and dying from abuse and neglect.

My husband has the oh so glamorous job of being a trashman (OT---- PLEASE respect your trashman!!) and he's scared to death that one of these days he will find a baby. It was hard enough for him to deal with finding a box that had kittens wrapped in 3 plastic bags and thrown in the dumpster left to die (they were still alive, barely).

October 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Veteran
I don't think the existing structures in our societies could support so many abandonned children. Last stats i saw for Quebec, we had something like 13 000 children in foster homes or taken care of by CPS, adoption was almost non-existant and those children ended up beeing moved from one foster home to another, up to 10-15 times (or spending most of their youth in prison-like institution until we figured out what to do with them). I can only imagine how it would be if abortion was illegal and all those babies ended up in the same situation.

So no, i wouldn't take the choice away from women. I don't think we could deal with the consequences.
October 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
No thanks. I dont agree with the statement abortion is a neccsary evil. I dont think it is evil. I think its one of a womans most important right. i dont think its murder or killing dont think the women who have them are murders. If I could do anything with that magic wand I would help the women who society has guilted them into feeling bad for exercising their right to choose. They shouldnt feel guilty for making the right choice for themselves.[/b]

Quote:
My husband has the oh so glamorous job of being a trashman (OT---- PLEASE respect your trashman!!) and he's scared to death that one of these days he will find a baby. It was hard enough for him to deal with finding a box that had kittens wrapped in 3 plastic bags and thrown in the dumpster left to die (they were still alive, barely).[/b]
I think being a trashman is one of the most needed professions out there! It's an honourable paycheck too. Hug him for me ok?

Wow. I agree that is not a nice part of the job. I hope he never finds that and I wish he didn't find someone's kittens. For God's sake, how bloody hard is it to drop off new kittens at shelter/vet/emergency hospital?

Quote:
I don't think the existing structures in our societies could support so many abandonned children. Last stats i saw for Quebec, we had something like 13 000 children in foster homes or taken care of by CPS, adoption was almost non-existant and those children ended up beeing moved from one foster home to another, up to 10-15 times (or spending most of their youth in prison-like institution until we figured out what to do with them). I can only imagine how it would be if abortion was illegal and all those babies ended up in the same situation.

So no, i wouldn't take the choice away from women. I don't think we could deal with the consequences.[/b]
I think we end up in a society where families would be forced to raise like four-six adopted babies and never have the opportunity to pro-create themselves..
October 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM
kadydid
Quote:
As hard as it is for me to believe I'm going to say this......no, I wouldn't outlaw it. Even if I could make the illegal abortions nonexistant. Not just because of the whole "it's her body her choice" idea, but because of what Michelle said.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I think dumpster babies would dramatically rise and babies starving to death would be the norm.[/b]
That's the thing that gets me. That and all the children who are here and suffering and dying from abuse and neglect.

My husband has the oh so glamorous job of being a trashman (OT---- PLEASE respect your trashman!!) and he's scared to death that one of these days he will find a baby. It was hard enough for him to deal with finding a box that had kittens wrapped in 3 plastic bags and thrown in the dumpster left to die (they were still alive, barely).
[/b][/quote]
UGH!
October 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
No thanks. I dont agree with the statement abortion is a neccsary evil. I dont think it is evil. I think its one of a womans most important right. i dont think its murder or killing dont think the women who have them are murders. If I could do anything with that magic wand I would help the women who society has guilted them into feeling bad for exercising their right to choose. They shouldnt feel guilty for making the right choice for themselves.[/b]
I agree

What about the pregnant women who are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends because those "men" don't want to be fathers?

October 16th, 2006, 03:14 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
What about the pregnant women who are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends because those "men" don't want to be fathers?[/b]
It's exactly why I wish girls in abusive situations would really think about bringing another child into the situation. Even if the mom and child live, why subject your child to an environment unsafe?
October 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Veteran
No, I would not. I am pro-life and extremely so, but I wouldn't make it illegal, because this thing we have in America called 'freedom'---I'd like it to stick around.
October 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Veteran
Erm..... I do not support abortions. I do not want them to be legal. I do not want people to have the choice---but... I feel it is necessary as I feel that our rights and freedoms are slowly being taken away.

Well, I dunno I kind of do feel it should be illegal, I used to. Who knows what I think?? It's past my bedtime..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search