Another Hypothetical situation

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
If you found out that the child you were pregnant with was going to be born and suffer severly and be in pain all the time, would you still be against abortion, or would you let your child be born and suffer daily?[/b]
I would make a decision with my DH on our limits.. we'd make the decision to keep it or terminate it together.

(I would also research as much as possible.)
October 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
She lived for 2 and a half YEARS....

She is smiling in some pics (scroll down and click on the picture links to see all the pictures). Tell me she was better off dead. Tell her mother she was better off dead.[/b]
Well, since the baby is gone telling her mom would be cold wouldn't it? Anencephaly results in 1/1000 live births.. If a family decided it's something they could do, great. Lots of people would consider having an abortion and trying again.
October 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would continue with the pregnancy.

I belive that even just a few moments with that child (even if they are whilst the baby is still in the womb) is better than nothing.
Mummy to 2 boys expecting #3.

October 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:
If you found out that the child you were pregnant with was going to be born and suffer severly and be in pain all the time, would you still be against abortion, or would you let your child be born and suffer daily?[/b]
I would make a decision with my DH on our limits.. we'd make the decision to keep it or terminate it together.

(I would also research as much as possible.)
[/b]
Ditto
October 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
She lived for 2 and a half YEARS....

She is smiling in some pics (scroll down and click on the picture links to see all the pictures). Tell me she was better off dead. Tell her mother she was better off dead.[/b]
Well, since the baby is gone telling her mom would be cold wouldn't it? Anencephaly results in 1/1000 live births.. If a family decided it's something they could do, great. Lots of people would consider having an abortion and trying again.
[/b]

I am sorry, that story is not a miracle. This is going to upset some people but I have to say it:

That story sickens me. That child cannot think, see, hear, feel...that child is not conscious!!!!! And they are dressing her up and parading her picture around. I am sorry, it makes me physically sick to read that site.
October 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I consider that selfish.. Sure a few moments with the child would be good for YOU.. maybe not that child.. If that child was in immense pain for how ever long it lived thats not much of a life now is it? Suffering on a day to day basis isnt a way to live. If my child was in IMMENSE pain daily I would not want to see him in that pain. Like kids with CF.. I know people with children with CF and those kids are miserable, They have to take like a bowl full of pills every day just to eat a piece of toast!, they have to have suction cup like things pumped on their chest so they can cough up a few bowls full of mucous, a few times a day, and they have a hard time breathing. AND the life expectancy is not high. What a way to live? Even if they go to school and get an education they are going to die before they can even have a career or family, They die in their childhood, i dont think ive ever heard of a case of CF where someone has lived passed like 18. So what is the point in THAT case? Your basically waiting to die and suffering while waiting.
I wouldnt want to put my child through that Just so i could love and have time with my child. That would be being selfish.[/b]
So where do you draw the line? Should we just kill all fetuses that will not be perfectly healthy? What next, all the babies that dont have perfect appearences? I understand where your coming from about the babies suffering, but where do you draw the line? Its a slippery slope I would not want to start on....

To answer the question, I cant say for 100% what I would do, but my gut tells me I would have the baby, no matter what.

October 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
edit:

Nevermind, a friend opened it for me. I stand by my post. That child was born with undeveloped forebrain and cerebrum and it was removed later from the outside of her head, hence it is not present. Meaning, that child is not conscious.
October 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Miss.Tee
Quote:
You mean, would you still be against abortion, or not let your child be born and suffer daily?

I don't agree with abortion...plain and simple. This does not change my mind.

I would care for and love that child with all of my heart, and there is always room for error. I've said this time and time again, miracles DO happen.

Take a look at this...

This little girl was born with anecephaly. She lived for 2 and a half YEARS....

She is smiling in some pics (scroll down and click on the picture links to see all the pictures). Tell me she was better off dead. Tell her mother she was better off dead.

http://faithaminah.tripod.com/[/b]
ITA!! NO WAY WOULD I *EVER* HAVE AN ABORTION!! You take care of your children, regardless. Not everybody has a 'perfect' pregnancy and you think just b/c a test shows that something would be wrong with my baby that it just means I shouldnt love it and I should just kill the innocent little thing? NO! There are so many children with disabilities and their families are *SO STRONG* and take care of them and put their needs first b/c that's just what a parent does who loves their child. Babies are babies and they are gifts from God!!

Quote:
I would continue with the pregnancy.

I belive that even just a few moments with that child (even if they are whilst the baby is still in the womb) is better than nothing.[/b]
I dont think you are selfish at all! I agree with you.
October 16th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My definition of respect for the human body and the dignity of life do not include selfishly prolonging the "alive" state of an empty husk and parading it around. Would I want the chjild killed? No, no, not at all. Would I want the child to be given the chance to die with dignity? yes. But I cant help reading that site and thinking about a doll. I can see no dignity for that child. If I was breain dead with my forebrain and ceredrum physically gone and my husband dressed me up and celebrated me and made a webpage about me I would be...well..I wouldnt BE anything, but I hope someone would stop him.
October 16th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All I was trying to say is, where do we draw the line. Who is going to decide what is "suffering". Babies are born everyday that will suffer in one way or another. Who is to say what is "to much" suffering. Like I said, I totally understand what you are saying. All I am saying is that kind of thinking can lead down a dark path.
Does that make sense?

October 16th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe this is a better way to clarify what I mean:

If someone removed your forebrain and grey matter and then proceeded to continue to do what these people did with their baby, what would you want to have happen? Would you want it to be this way?

Why does the fact that it is a baby make it ok for them to do this?

(this post is to no one in general, just trying to clarify why the site posted makes me feel so)
October 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Miss.Tee
Quote:
*Edited to also add that medical care that comes with some of the conditions is VERY expensive and not everyone could afford it. Not everyone can even afford insurance. So say a 16 year old girl gets pregnant with a very ill child and is told this, how would she afford to pay for her terminally ill childs medical care? With that being said her only other option is abortion because as sad as it is, no family wants to adopt a sick child so adoption isnt really an option either.[/b]
I wouldnt care if I had to take loans out & be in debt for the rest of my life, I would find SOME WAY to pay for my child to have the best medical care in the world.
October 16th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, her cerebrum and forebrain were on the outside of her head and removed after birth, so she had no conscious ability (no ability to think, feel, see, hear, speak, etc)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search