arguing the other side

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My whole family is pro-choice.... Some to the extent I am others just to the first 2 months. A couple of months ago my sister had a semi-planned pregnancy. It was clear to me that she was scared and he was scared but they were both not comunicating. Instead they were talking to me. NOT the best to talk to on the subject. Neather of them wanted an abortion and I'm sure it would have ended there relationship but both where being stuburn babies about the issue. All they wanted to here was "IT'LL be okay" from each other. So I ended up taking the "pro-life" route and telling them blatenly that they want there baby and if they had an abortion there relationship would be over. In a little harsher words. They were still stuborn but in the end (at the clinic) they finally feat up that they both wanted the child.

Unfourtionatly this has happend to me more then once (being the voice of reasion in a siblings relationship) Do you think it's right to take the opisite stand to help the people?

October 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Do you think it's right to take the opisite stand to help the people?[/b]
Yes.. I wouldn't ever convince a woman to have an abortion. If a woman has a clear religious conviction I would steer her away from an abortion..
October 20th, 2006, 10:35 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Do you think it's right to take the opisite stand to help the people?[/b]
Quote:
Yes.. I wouldn't ever convince a woman to have an abortion. If a woman has a clear religious conviction I would steer her away from an abortion..[/b]

JKJKJKJKJK

If I am wrong...forgive me!!

I am assuming that by your "yes" to the question about it being right to take the opposite stance in order to help the person, that the example following the "yes" is an example of a prochoicer (since you are prochoice), taking a prolifer's stance in order to help someone.

Why is "not convincing a woman to have an abortion" considered as "taking the other side", if prochoice isn't pro-abortion? Why isn't it still prochoice?

If prochoice isn't considered to be pro-abortion, then why is it that you were taking the "prolife stance"?
[/b][/quote]
Let me attempt to see if I understand your question. Your question is: why aren't I trying to convince someone to have an abortion who is pro-life, right?
October 21st, 2006, 06:56 AM
Super Mommy
This is where I think the word "prochoice" is confused. Just because someone is prochoice doesn't mean they will try to talk everyone into abortion or agree with their decision for it. I don't think you necessarily took the opposite stand unless maybe you called yourself "proabortion" meaning you thought abortion was the only way to go. To me, prochoice means you support the right to choose. You don't have to necessarily 100% support abortion to be prochoice.

I'll give an example just to try to make myself a little more clear.....

As Michelle said:
Quote:
I wouldn't ever convince a woman to have an abortion. If a woman has a clear religious conviction I would steer her away from an abortion..[/b]
We all know Michelle is prochoice. She has very clearly stated her stance many times. But, she wouldn't push abortion on anyone or try to convince them that that is the only thing to do. She supports the right to choose, not abortion itself. In the case having an abortion would cause more harm (due to religious conviction) she would try to steer them to other alternatives. She's not taking the opposite stand because she's still prochoice, and just because she's prochoice doesn't mean she doesn't value life of the born or the unborn. Does that make any sense?

October 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
mrobinson
Why is it so hard to understand? As a person who supports the right to choose I would have no problem with speaking openly about abortion. If someone is in a position of needing help, they need support not a lecture, or liberation on her moral stance ~ on why abortion is an option. So you work with what you have left, keeping it or adoption. The only difference between helping someone who is pro-choice or pro-life is you have two options instead of three.
October 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No I'm sorry I guess the question is better stated if your Pro-choice would you ever talk someone out of having an abortion because you know that's not what they really want? If your pro-life would you talk someone that was clearly unfit and would not give the child up for adoption about the choice abortion?

October 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
...if your Pro-choice would you ever talk someone out of having an abortion because you know that's not what they really want?[/b]
Yeppers!
October 22nd, 2006, 07:03 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I was just saying since it isn't proabortion...then why is it considered taking the opposite stance?[/b]
This is why it seems so futile to me to try to explain this.. The concept of someone who labels herself as pro-choice is about having abortion as a choice not the only choice as a term like pro-abortion suggests.

to get back to the original question, Cece as a pro-lifer, would you argue the pro-choice stance to a girl? Right now you would at least two options ~ adoption and keeping it. Understand any circumstances would you help a girl considering abortion?
October 22nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
n/m
October 22nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Yes Theresa, I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying...in fact that is what I was saying.

My thing was...since that is being prochoice, how was she taking the opposite stance (prolife)...that is what I was saying...I thought she was saying that she was indeed taking the prolife stance in this scenario.[/b]

haha, I went back and read what you wrote better, and I pretty much just copied what you said just different words. Mine was aimed at the op, but I guess it tied into your post too. Sorry, pregnant brain. Sometimes I have to read and reread things to realize that someone else already said what I was thinking.

October 23rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
I don't think you were wrong, especially if it was obvious that neither one of them wanted the abortion. I would never try to talk someone into getting an abortion if I knew that they didn't want one. I just don't see the point in doing that I guess. As a pro-choicer, I don't go around hoping that people get abortions and trying to get them to, if that were the case I wouldn't be 30 weeks pregnant right now because I would've had an abortion. I think MiguelsMommy did the right thing for the situation. Now, if someone wasn't opposed to abortion and they were asking for my help I would discuss ALL the options with them, abortion being included in the options of course, but ultimatly it would be their decission to make not mine. I would just be acting in more of a 'advisory' manor I guess you could say, as I would be advising them of all the options avaliable to them.
CeCe, I actualy think I get where you're coming from with your question. I doubt I could put it any more clearly than you did though because I'm not realy one of those people that are good with words like Michelle or Becky. I often confuse myself and get confused when debating, which is why I tend to not do it so much since my opinnions get all jumbled in my head and when I'm writing them out. I 'think' what you were trying to say is more like Why would she consider it taking the pro-life stance when pro-choice is all about having the choice to abort or not to abort. Which, I don't think she took the pro-life stance because she advised them to not abort because neither of them wanted to abort, which is part of their choice. To take the pro-life stance she would've had to advised them not to abort because abortion is wrong or something to that effect, which I don't think she did. Holy Cow! Did I even make sense?!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search