"Prolife"- can or does it apply elsewhere?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is "Prolife" a term that can only be applied to the abortion debate?

Do you feel any of the following should be included in "prolife":

pacifism
vegetarianism
against right to die
against death penalty
against foreign policy intiatives that take lives (sanctions that affect a popluations ability to live, for example)

If prolife is not just a term for the abortion debate, is it hypocritical not to believe in the sanctitiy of life in these other situations?

How do you deal with this idea?
October 22nd, 2006, 09:47 PM
chlodoll
I dont really see pro-life being used out of the abortion debate. I just sense that the majority of people pro-life arent vegetarians lol
October 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The question came to me because my husband said to me tonight "I am prolife. I believe in respecting human life, which is why I am against war, a lot of US foreign policy, and the death penalty." He went to talk about how he isn't "prolife" in teh abortion debate because he doesn't see the fetus as being a full human person yet, but he respects human life as noted in these other areas.
October 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
chlodoll
I see how it can be used in other places, I just feel that its so strongly connected to abortion I dont see it able to be used in other ways.

I read a quote the other night about the term pro-life regarding abortion only lasts the 9 months of gestation, once the baby is here quality of life is thrown out the window. So I dont feel that alot of people who are prolife genuinely are, thats why I prefer anti-choice.
October 22nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
Veteran
Hmmm. I do agree with many of those you listed and I am vegetarian---but I don't think the term is interchangeable.

Because abortions deal with someone who cannot decide for themself---'right to die' does not.
October 23rd, 2006, 07:06 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Because abortions deal with someone who cannot decide for themself---'right to die' does not.[/b]
Yet invading a country is ok and is someone who can decide for themself?
October 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Veteran
^What?? I didn't say that.
October 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Because abortions deal with someone who cannot decide for themself---'right to die' does not.[/b]
Yet invading a country is ok and is someone who can decide for themself?
[/b]
I think she specifically stated "right to die" - which isn't war/invasion...but rather maybe a few too many Xanax to speed up the process. Maybe I misunderstood her - but I don't think so.

Quote:

pacifism
vegetarianism
against right to die
against death penalty
against foreign policy intiatives that take lives (sanctions that affect a popluations ability to live, for example)

If prolife is not just a term for the abortion debate, is it hypocritical not to believe in the sanctitiy of life in these other situations?

How do you deal with this idea?[/b]
Well I don't see how being a vegetarian has anything to do with it - afterall - it is generally thought of to be at least a "human" issue - not a "life" issue - unless we are willing to do away with Lysol & antibiotics that also kill microbes & germs. I guess it depends how far one wants to take it.

As far as the rest - I believe a person has the right to die - it is up to them. I don't advocate suicide among the physically well - but for terminal patients, I cannot fault or want to control their destiny for them. Assuming one is of basically sound mind - I feel that is their right. The rest - I don't believe in - because I think taking the life of another is wrong.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 23rd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

pacifism
vegetarianism
against right to die
against death penalty

How do you deal with this idea?[/b]
Actually, even if I'm what most people will call "pro-life", it isn't a term I feel comfortable with. It implies that the opposite side is "anti-life", KWIM? And it's very unfair. It doesn't matter how strongly I feel abortion is wrong, that doesn't mean that the people who don't agree with me have less respect for life.
I understand the need to find a "pro" term to call one's position, using the prefix pro makes the position sound positive, while being "anti" something is considered intolerant. But we're all "anti" something. Aren't we all (or most of us ) "anti" murder and rape? Does that makes us intolerant? Does it make a person intolerant to be against domestic violence? Why is it intolerant to be against abortion? So I call myself anti-abortion. I'm against that action but I don't wish to pass judgment on the people who don't believe that action is wrong. And I think the term "pro-life" does just that.

Now, I believe in the sanctity of life. However, I'm not exactly against the death penalty (although I do believe it's usually misused) and I know that sometimes war is a necessary evil. That doesn't mean it isn't sad when those lives are lost, but this is an issue of responsibility. If you live in an area where there's the death penalty and you commit a crime that's punishable by death, you're responsible for your actions. The same if you apply to the Army. No one's forcing you, but if you make the choice to be there to defend your country, then you're responsible for that choice.
An unborn baby isn't responsible for its mother's actions. When abortion is done because a baby will inconvinience the mother, then you're making the baby pay with its life the mistakes of the mother. IMO, that's not fair. Now, bear in mind that I'm talking about abortion used as a contraceptive method, which, I believe is just plain wrong. I'm not talking about more "grey" cases such as severe malformation or mental problems. Although I still believe those children deserve a chance at life, I can understand why a woman would choose an abortion if faced with such a circumstance.
So being "pro-life", IMO, is not as simple as that. Each situation is different and should be treated differently. That doesn't say anything about the person's overall respect for life.

Sharon
October 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
mrobinson
((great post Sharon!))

Quote:
Actually, even if I'm what most people will call "pro-life", it isn't a term I feel comfortable with. It implies that the opposite side is "anti-life", KWIM? And it's very unfair. It doesn't matter how strongly I feel abortion is wrong, that doesn't mean that the people who don't agree with me have less respect for life.
I understand the need to find a "pro" term to call one's position, using the prefix pro makes the position sound positive, while being "anti" something is considered intolerant. But we're all "anti" something. Aren't we all (or most of us ) "anti" murder and rape? Does that makes us intolerant? Does it make a person intolerant to be against domestic violence? Why is it intolerant to be against abortion? So I call myself anti-abortion. I'm against that action but I don't wish to pass judgment on the people who don't believe that action is wrong. And I think the term "pro-life" does just that.[/b]
I do agree with the terms here.. pro-life, pro-choice, pro-abortion, anti-life, etc. etc..
October 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pro-choice but anti-tourchure so here is how I feel about the issue
Quote:
pacifism[/b]
I think this is the best way to learn and understand to get a solution
Quote:
vegetarianism[/b]
I only eat white meat. I feel the way animals are prosessed is torcerus (honestly I wouldn't even eat white meat if I didn't have too)
Quote:
against right to die[/b]
Why make people suffer that don't want to
Quote:
against death penalty[/b]
I'm all for the death pentalty If the appeals are handled fast and after all apeals person dies the next day. I feel it's tourchure to wait in a small cell until you die. I'm also against life in prison
Quote:
against foreign policy intiatives that take lives (sanctions that affect a popluations ability to live, for example)[/b]
I find this wrong because it's tourchure to die starving

October 24th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I do agree with the terms here.. pro-life, pro-choice, pro-abortion, anti-life, etc. etc..[/b]
Terms are just words, really. Is the intention we put behind them that makes them positive or negative. On another thread someone referred to pro-lifers as "anti-choice", for example. I think the intention behind that is a negative one. It's a way of portraying that side as intolerant or imposing. Maybe some are, but that's no reason to demean the entire position by using an obviously judgmental term.
I use the term "pro-life" as long as it's understood that it's not an implication that the other side is against life (honestly, who is?) and I also use the term "pro-choice" as long as it's not implied that the other side is against choice.
October 24th, 2006, 11:38 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I use the term "pro-life" as long as it's understood that it's not an implication that the other side is against life (honestly, who is?) and I also use the term "pro-choice" as long as it's not implied that the other side is against choice.[/b]
I agree! I *try* to not use negative implications but I know I can get carried away from time to time.. I understand why the terms have become offensive. Honestly, JM is a support board so I would like to see people trying to discuss abortion without forgetting there is respect behind the terms of pro-choice and pro-life.
October 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that pro-life applies to abortion and the death penalty because both can be interpreted as "playing God" if you will. I think being pro-life and pro-death penalty is very hypocritical and makes no sense to me...
October 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Veteran
^I'm against the death penalty, but for the reason that I believe sitting in solitary confinement for the rest of your life reflecting on what you have done is a far better punishment.
October 26th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Super Mommy
I can see the argument here from the op. However, I agree with the pp that Pro-Life does imply human life, although I'm also against torturing and killing pets (except snakes )

I'm also against the death penalty, but not because I believe in the sanctity of THAT life, just because it costs less money to jail them for life! (Yes, it really does come down to taxes for me)

As for war, well I think there are reasons sometimes, and I'm not a pacifist. I can't say this is a reason for going to war and that isn't, I just know it when I see it.

As for assisted suicide. I'm really unsure of my position on it. On one hand I believe God does everything for a reason, on the other I don't like the thought of a person suffering. I can only hope I never need to face that decision.

E

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search