If you believe life begins at conception

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you justify abortion?
October 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Because even though this has come to be my personal belief, I would never be so presumptious to say it should be everyone elses...there is no concrete proof of when it begins.
October 27th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Because unelss I'm the one carrying the baby...I have no right to tell another woman how to handle her pregnancy. I can worry about any pregnancy I may have and not abort. But I don't know every woman's circumstances. I don't know if she's in an abusive relationship. I don't know if she has an intolerant boss who will fire her the second he finds out...and that she's the family's breadwinner. I don't know if she was the victim of a rape and will go out of her mind with the memory if she carries the child to term. I don't know if she's doing it to be able to keep feeding the 1, 2 or more children she may already have...

I may not LIKE the choice of abortion...but I have to RESPECT a woman's right to make it.

October 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
How do you justify abortion?[/b]
If I believe life begins at conception? Well, let's start by explaining what life is? Is it becoming a human or it is automatically a person? It doesn't have the ability to live on it's own so is it even life in that sense?

How do I justify abortion? Too many answers to explain why I think it's ok.
October 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Quote:
I don't know if she's in an abusive relationship. I don't know if she has an intolerant boss who will fire her the second he finds out...and that she's the family's breadwinner. I don't know if she was the victim of a rape and will go out of her mind with the memory if she carries the child to term. I don't know if she's doing it to be able to keep feeding the 1, 2 or more children she may already have...[/b]
regardless of the situations she is in if you believe life begins at conception or when ever you think it begins wouldn't having an abortion be taking that life. Why would a intolerant boss or a abusive husband justify taking a life? I'm sure everyone would agree it is not alright to take the child's life for those reasons once it was born so why is it's life worth less when it is inside of you?

Quote:
Well, let's start by explaining what life is? Is it becoming a human or it is automatically a person? It doesn't have the ability to live on it's own so is it even life in that sense?[/b]

I think once a baby has a beating heart it is a life. A baby needs its mother to survive till what is it now 2o or 22 weeks but I still believe it is it's own person regardless of it's need of the mother.

If you don't agree that that it is a life I don't know that you could answer these questions..
October 27th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I don't know if she's in an abusive relationship. I don't know if she has an intolerant boss who will fire her the second he finds out...and that she's the family's breadwinner. I don't know if she was the victim of a rape and will go out of her mind with the memory if she carries the child to term. I don't know if she's doing it to be able to keep feeding the 1, 2 or more children she may already have...[/b]
regardless of the situations she is in if you believe life begins at conception or when ever you think it begins wouldn't ahving an aboprtion be taking that life. Why would a intolerant boss or a abusive husband justify taking a life? I'm sure everyone would agree it is not alright to take the child's life for those reasons once it was born so why is it's life worth less when it is inside of you?

[/b][/quote]
An intolerant boss or abusive husband may be her reasons for not wanting to carry a child. With the abusive husband...she maybe saving her own life or maybe she thinks he'll cause her to miscarry. With the boss scenario, maybe she is the breadwinner and can't afford to lose her job. Those are just a couple reasons for not wanting to be pregnant. It is her body after all, and she has the right not to be pregnant if she can't due to whatever circumstances. And yes I believe life begins at conception...however it takes a while IMO to become a "baby". Again, I personally may not abort my child, but really, how can I prevent other women from doing it if they feel okay with it? To me it is terminating a "potential child".

And I don't know that I think the unborn's life is worth less. But if my life would suddenly become miserable/unhealthy/dangerous from my being pregnant, then honestly, I would do what I needed to to make my life bearable again.

Quote:
[I think once a baby has a beating heart it is a life. A baby needs its mother to survive till what is it now 2o or 22 weeks but I still believe it is it's own person regardless of it's need of the mother.[/b]
I also agree about the beating heart. However it may not make carrying a pregnancy to term the right thing to do for that mother. She has to decide what is best for her life.

October 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I think once a baby has a beating heart it is a life. A baby needs its mother to survive till what is it now 2o or 22 weeks but I still believe it is it's own person regardless of it's need of the mother.

If you don't agree that that it is a life I don't know that you could answer these questions..[/b]
Regardless of the need of the mother? It's not a viable baby because it needs it's mother. It's a developing baby or fetus. Is it a life? Sure it is, but so is the germs of my home. I clean them up too ~ killing them.
October 28th, 2006, 01:57 AM
nlp32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So what if your mother killed you at 8, 10, 12 weeks of gestation because it wasn't convenient for her to carry you. Were you a life?

(You is meant to be in general)

Niki Mommy to three beautiful boys and an angel; April 2001
<div align="center"></div>
October 28th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
So what if your mother killed you at 8, 10, 12 weeks of gestation because it wasn't convenient for her to carry you. Were you a life?[/b]
no not yet.... Yes I was allowed to thrive...with medical intervention however each mother has her reasonings she is not able to immediately give the fetus up and has to stay in her and could cause her danger for the next 6 months.

October 28th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
So what if your mother killed you at 8, 10, 12 weeks of gestation because it wasn't convenient for her to carry you. Were you a life?

(You is meant to be in general)[/b]

Obviously not. A developing life? Yup. An zygote, embryo, fetus? Yup. But not a fully formed human person.

It doesn't matter if it's me, you, the guy down the street, come celeb, the president....
October 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Regardless of the need of the mother? It's not a viable baby because it needs it's mother. It's a developing baby or fetus. Is it a life? Sure it is, but so is the germs of my home. I clean them up too ~ killing them.[/b]
I don't deny that it needs its mother to survive but it is still its own seperate life.
I think it is pretty sad that you can compare someone's future child to the germs in your kitchen.
October 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Regardless of the need of the mother? It's not a viable baby because it needs it's mother. It's a developing baby or fetus. Is it a life? Sure it is, but so is the germs of my home. I clean them up too ~ killing them.[/b]
I don't deny that it needs its mother to survive but it is still its own seperate life.
I think it is pretty sad that you can compare someone's future child to the germs in your kitchen.
[/b][/quote]
I think it's pretty sad how little control women have on their own bodies.. The governments are more worried about fetuses than how to run a country.
October 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Woman have control. They can control wiether they open ther legs or not!

An unborn child is not comparable with the germs in your kitchen sink.
October 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM
germs from your kitchen

fetus at 7 weeks

I see a bit of a difference.
October 28th, 2006, 01:15 PM
mrobinson
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(crunchymama @ Oct 28 2006, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'>germs from your kitchen

fetus at 7 weeks

I see a bit of a difference.[/b][/quote]

actually there is a huge difference ~ the germs can live on their own. The 7 week fetus can't..

Quote:
Woman have control. They can control wiether they open ther legs or not![/b]
Sadly not every woman does have that control because we have little thing called rape.
October 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
^^ I wasn't referring to rapes.

ya know I like you a lot Michelle but you talk about how pro-lifers have to respect pro-choicers by not using "offensive" terms and from the way I see it you don't take anything they say serious but I have seen you minimize pro-lifers feelings on babies and the importancee of their lives quite often. Comparing an unborn child to the germs in your kitchen is just as messed up in my eyes as saying that aborters are killing babies is in your eyes.
October 28th, 2006, 02:41 PM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to pretty_in_a_casket
Quote:

(You is meant to be in general)[/b]
Nope! I was a developing life at that stage. My Mother actually considered abortion, she had me later in life and it was no secret to me that she would definatly have aborted had any of the tests come back to show that I would have any kind of genetic disorder, disability, or disease that would cause me pain throughout my life or cause me to suffer in any way. I commend her for realising that she had a choice, and I thank her for not wanting me to live a life like that. A life where I would have been in and out of hospitals and needed continous medical care and would have been teased and taunted my entire life. So Way To Go for my Mama for thinking of the life that her now daughter may have had had anything been "wrong" with me. I would much rather have been aborted than to have suffered. That's my personal opinnion though.

Quote:
Woman have control. They can control wiether they open ther legs or not!

An unborn child is not comparable with the germs in your kitchen sink.[/b]
Yes, they can control weather they open their legs or not, however they can not control weather their method of birth controll failed. There are a percentage of women who are on birth control that failed that do have abortions. I think alot of people assume they didn't use anything at all but that is often not the case. My SIL just recently found out she was pregnant, she was on BC, took it everyday. I have another friend who got pregnant while on the shot. I know women who have gotten pregnant because the condom broke. They were trying to prevent pregnancy, but the BC failed them and they ended up pregnant.

Also, I saw a big diffrence between my 8 week old fetus and my baby neice. You see a big diffrence between Michelle's fetus germ comparrison. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
October 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
Quote:
I think once a baby has a beating heart it is a life. A baby needs its mother to survive till what is it now 2o or 22 weeks but I still believe it is it's own person regardless of it's need of the mother.[/b]

but when you think of it -- a young child also needs its mother ( technically) so would you say its not alive then too? even though it is capable of functioning on it's own, and also we are STILL not fully developed by 10 or 11.

October 28th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Yes, they can control weather they open their legs or not, however they can not control weather their method of birth controll failed.[/b]
Most people know that birth control isn't 100%.

You are pregnant, you don't see a difference between your unborn child and your household germs?
October 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Veteran
I am very pro choice, having said that i believe that that "choice" needs to be made very quickly. I think that once an unborn baby reachs a stage of gestation where there is even a slightest chance of survival if born it is too late (except for in circumstances of abnormalities/deformites and other problems-which is a whole other debate!!) therefore termination i think MUST be before 12 weeks maybe 14 at the latest!! ideally MOSt people discover pg at around 4 weeks it should be considered and done almost immediatly

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search