Nicaragua Outlaws All Abortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
mrobinson
Source

Nicaragua Outlaws All Abortion

The Nicaraguan legislature voted yesterday to outlaw all abortions, making it the third country in the Western Hemisphere to outlaw abortion without exception. The legislation was approved 52-0, with nine abstentions and 29 legislators not voting. The legislation must still be signed by Nicaraguan president Enrique Bolanos, who is strongly against abortion rights and favors increasing penalties for illegal abortions; without his veto, the ban will take effect in 30 days. Nicaragua currently allows abortion if a woman's life is in danger or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.

Legislators may have feared opposing the bill so close to the upcoming election on November 5 because of the strong influence of the Roman Catholic Church, which pushed heavily for the passage of the legislation, according to Reuters. While church leaders were able to sit in on the vote, women’s rights activists were physically barred from entering. Hundreds of protestors gathered outside the National Assembly the day of the vote, and legislators were asked by the international community to consider the ramifications for women’s human rights.

"We are outraged that leaders who claim to stand for the poor and marginalized would vote in favor a law that condemns women to die like this. Women's live[s] are worth more," said Marta María Blandón, director of Ipas Central America, an organization working to end unsafe abortion practices around the world. It is estimated 32,000 women undergo illegal abortion every year in Nicaragua, most unsafe, according to the New York Times. According to Ipas, the Nicaraguan Women’s Autonomous Movement plan to file a suit challenging the constitutionality of the extreme ban.
October 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to Central America

Ok, get ready....here comes the rant...

*(&$(*&#$(#^@&*@!!!!!! Friggin theocracies and their ridiculous laws. The politicians in central america don't go to outside the big cities, they don't SEE the poverty and death and miseducation and lacking education and sadness...ugh...I can't even figure out a suiting punishment.

Oh wait...

HOw about their own children have to spend their life in a tin house or how about their "childrens' homes" where babies lie there crying and crying waiting their turn to be held. They grow up and spend their lives begging in the streets or living in houses not fit for rats with no plumbing and dirty water...

But what the f*ck do they care? Because people in the government live in the city and have mansions and servants and god knows what else. Rare birds for peets sake...friggin 10k birds on their porches, "it's a tradition". I'm not kidding, it's a joke. No, it's beyond a joke, it's a travesty.

And now they are going to condemn more children, in the name of Christ.

And don't even get me started on the birth control laws!!!!

And that's not even getting into illegal abortions.
October 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
kadydid
I actually just had tears well up thinking about what this could mean.

I guess babies and children suffering is a thought I should just get used to.
October 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I actually just had tears well up thinking about what this could mean.

I guess babies and children suffering is a thought I should just get used to.[/b]
I am glad to know I'm not alone in having my eyes well up.

How many more mother's have to die like this?
October 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Central and South America are full of grim realities that many would rather pretend do not exist.

Some articles to read:

An Overview of Clandestine Abortion in Latin America

Illegal abortions 'killing South American women'

The Incidence of Abortion Worldwide (not just on S and C America but they are in there)

Abortion lessons from Latin America

I have a lot more if anyone is interested in them.
October 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Another:

Illegal Abortions Rampant in Latin America

I would post quotes from these of women giving their horror stories of illegal abortions but I fear they would really upset a lot of people, so I will say read these articles only if you can stomach the stories.
October 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to wonder where are all the prolifers? I mean, is this not the goal of some of the prolife movement? To have abortion banned?
October 30th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
The Nicaraguan legislature voted yesterday to outlaw all abortions, making it the third country in the Western Hemisphere to outlaw abortion without exception[/b]
Quote:
Nicaragua currently allows abortion if a woman's life is in danger or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.[/b]
I can not imagine not having the choice to abort if it was the only option to save my life! Can you imagine being forced to continue with your pregnancy even though it would kill you? You would leave your other kids (assuming you had some) motherless
October 30th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not to mention the process for "proving" your rape incest, or life danger is basically impossible. In Panama, you would be likely to be past the time they will abort before they "approve" your request
October 30th, 2006, 09:17 AM
mrobinson
October 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We are outraged that leaders who claim to stand for the poor and marginalized would vote in favor a law that condemns women to die like this. Women's live[s] are worth more," said Marta María Blandón, director of Ipas Central America, an organization working to end unsafe abortion practices around the world. It is estimated 32,000 women undergo illegal abortion every year in Nicaragua, most unsafe, according to the New York Times. According to Ipas, the Nicaraguan Women’s Autonomous Movement plan to file a suit challenging the constitutionality of the extreme ban.[/b]
How is banning abortion putting their lives in danger? They are putting their lives in danger by having a back alley abortion noone is forcing them to have that abortion

I'd like to hear more about the birth control laws.

I am pro-life and would love to see abortion banned but I think that is an unrealistic thought. I think a better way of reducing abortions is to provide better health care to the poor specifically BC, make jobs more available so that woman can afford feed and cloth the children they are pregnant with, ect, ect. Just saying no more abortions isn't gonna work I would rather see limitiations put on it and see the things that cause woman to have abortions fixed.
October 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How is banning abortion putting their lives in danger? They are putting their lives in danger by having a back alley abortion noone is forcing them to have that abortion[/b]
Many many reasons. First, the government fails to realize that these people who perform these abortions (who sometimes even mask themselves as doctors) are not going to stop. So they willing ban legal abortions knowing that the illegal abortions will continue but do nothing to stop them (and even if they did, they couldn't). Then they prosecute women who are injured during these abortions who come to hospitals to be fixed up. This prosecution leads women to feel that they need to be even more secretive or they will be put in jail. Then you have society, which is in most cases staunchly catholic, berrating them for having children outside of ideal situations,= leading to more want for abortion. Then you have expensive, unavailable, unfunded (catholic health care remember) BC, which is ALSO stigmatized...

It's one big huge death ridden mess.
October 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There's also the opverty issue. Your choices: Watch your child slowly starve. Give them to an orphanage where they have about a .000001 chance of being adopted since there is a huge surplus created by strict abortion laws. Seek an illegal abortion.
October 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
"I remember the nurses telling me that if I didn't give them the name of the doctor who gave me the abortion, they would let me bleed to death," Maureira says.[/b]
Quote:
Alonso says another problem is that most of the family planning has been geared towards women and attitudes toward sexual behavior can't change without including men, who often impose sex on women.

"Much of the education is expecting women to take control of their bodies," says Alonso. "But this is a country where women don't have cultural control over their bodies. So how are they expected to make a decision over whether or not they get pregnant?"[/b]
Quote:
Providing limited exceptions to an abortion ban does little to improve access to safe abortions.

In reality very few, if any, women get such "non-punishable" abortions because there are no clear procedures. Fearing that they'd be charged with a crime, many of the women I interviewed who might have qualified for a legal abortion because they had been raped or because their health was endangered by the pregnancy did not dare to out themselves as potential abortion candidates. They went straight for the illegal and mostly unsafe back-alley abortions. A large proportion of maternal mortality in Latin America is caused directly by the consequences of such unsafe abortions.[/b]

Quote:
"It is the first to the third cause of maternal death in different countries in Latin America," the chair of the conference, Maria Consuelo Mejilla - director of Catholics For The Right To Decide, a Mexican pressure group - told BBC World Service's Outlook programme.

"It is affecting mostly poor women.

"Unsafe and illegal abortion in Latin America is a social justice problem. Women who have no resources die."[/b]
from articles above
October 30th, 2006, 03:15 PM
irishxrose
How horrible.
October 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to say that's just plain stupid. And they really think that will stop abortion? Please... I can just see all these girls going to the local witch doctor to get an abortion with a hanger or some weird herbal mixture.
Too bad they cannot see that the world- even the abortion issue- is filled with shades of grey and it's not all black and white. Sometimes an abortion is needed to save a woman's life. What will these women do? Either find a very dangerous way to abort or die. Gee... great choices.
Some people cannot see past their petty noses

Sharon
October 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
myonlysunshine
Banning abortion isn't going to fix the problems that bring women into the situation of needing to have an abortion. A ban on abortion isn't going to magically make contraception more effective, nor is it going to reduce the number of rapes or suddenly make a family able to afford another mouth to feed. As pro-life as I like to think I am, I'd rather see goverments working on the issues that lead to abortion (like teaching women how to monitor their fertility, so they aren't just relying on the success of their contraception).
October 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Banning abortion isn't going to fix the problems that bring women into the situation of needing to have an abortion. A ban on abortion isn't going to magically make contraception more effective, nor is it going to reduce the number of rapes or suddenly make a family able to afford another mouth to feed. As pro-life as I like to think I am, I'd rather see goverments working on the issues that lead to abortion (like teaching women how to monitor their fertility, so they aren't just relying on the success of their contraception).[/b]
ITA - and in cases "where women aren't culturally in control of their bodies" - to work on solving that as well.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Banning abortion isn't going to fix the problems that bring women into the situation of needing to have an abortion. A ban on abortion isn't going to magically make contraception more effective, nor is it going to reduce the number of rapes or suddenly make a family able to afford another mouth to feed. As pro-life as I like to think I am, I'd rather see goverments working on the issues that lead to abortion (like teaching women how to monitor their fertility, so they aren't just relying on the success of their contraception).[/b]
Yeah, that!

Sharon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search