How do you justify the lack of empathy?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM
mrobinson
I understand that people feel the fetus's life is more important than the mothers.. So how do you justify the pain and tramua families go through because of an abortion, as a reason to judge them further?
October 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the mothers life is more important than the unborn childs. I would never support an abortion ban unless there was a clause that gave a mother a right to save her life.

Quote:
So how do you justify the pain and tramua families go through because of an abortion, as a reason to judge them further?[/b]
I don't see it as a reason to judge them further. I see it as just another reason that abortion is wrong. If it was right then so many familiies wouldn't feel so bad about the choice they made.
October 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
If it was right then so many familiies wouldn't feel so bad about the choice they made.[/b]
There are lots of women who dont feel badly for their abortions. But some people are weaker in character and others make them feel bad for it
October 30th, 2006, 09:52 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
If it was right then so many familiies wouldn't feel so bad about the choice they made.[/b]
There are lots of women who dont feel badly for their abortions. But some people are weaker in character and others make them feel bad for it
[/b]
I would love to meet a person with zero regrets in their life.. Then to pour salt on it?
October 30th, 2006, 09:53 AM
yeah and some people just realize that they made a wrong choice and it lost them their child. That doesn't make them weak in character Admitting a bad choice makes you strong in character.
October 30th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
An empathy question...

What do you feel for the women of central and south america on this issue? (read the Nicaragua thread).

Is what is happening to them worthy of empathy?

Is banning abortion or making it nearly impossible to get (or contingent upon things like 'proving you were raped') the right thing to do?
October 30th, 2006, 12:15 PM
I don't think putting limitations on abortion is a bad thing. I don't know a lot about Nicaragua but I believe it is a very poor country. How do woman there afford abortions? Are they gvt funded? If the country is gonna ban abortion I think they should be helping these woman with BC but that justs seems unrealistic if it is a poor country.
October 30th, 2006, 12:23 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
How do woman there afford abortions?[/b]
Crunchy if there is one concept I'd like to expand on..

One of the reasons I don't like the way abortions are conducted in the USA is because the health care as a whole is based on profit.. I don't understand how it's not an ethical issue as it is. Here in Canada, health care isn't based on profit. So when I see abortion as a health issue between a doctor and a patient, it's because I don't have those profit ideas that the USA has for their health care system as a whole. I think for you too, if you seen issue of abortion without money being attached to it, you might be able to see it with a different perspective. I hope that helps too.
October 30th, 2006, 12:49 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why you think that "people feel the fetus's life is more important than the mother's". Who has ever said that? I sure don't believe that.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

October 30th, 2006, 01:01 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why you think that "people feel the fetus's life is more important than the mother's". Who has ever said that? I sure don't believe that.[/b]
Oh because of the threads within the debate boards have suggested so.

If it isn't the case, then why are fetus's given more rights than the mother by complete bans on abortion.. It's a ban on her own body.

An abortion is about a mother and a doctor's decision ~ not about the judgement of others and courts involvement.
October 30th, 2006, 01:01 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I don't know if I would be for a complete ban on abortion. I think in most cases, an abortion can be prevented, but if the mother is going to die, I would never be the one to say she couldn't have one. Are there really that many women who would die if they didn't have an abortion? (I'm not trying to be snotty here.....this is an honest question).

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

October 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM
mrobinson
An abortion is about a mother and a doctor's decision ~ not about the judgement of others and courts involvement.
October 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Quote:
An abortion is about a mother and a doctor's decision ~ not about the judgement of others and courts involvement.[/b]
that is where pro-choicers and pro-lifers differ we see a third person who is involved and is completely innocent and has no say in something that means life or death to them.
October 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
An abortion is about a mother and a doctor's decision ~ not about the judgement of others and courts involvement.[/b]
that is where pro-choicers and pro-lifers differ we see a third person who is involved and is completely innocent and has no say in something that means life or death to them.
[/b][/quote]
I disagree. I see some pro-lifers as believing that third "person" is more important than the mother.. hence why they can justify the lack of empathy to the mother.
October 30th, 2006, 01:25 PM
mrobinson
And that exactly shows the lack of empathy to the situation, the profession (doctor) and the mother.

That is what abortion is about.

How would you feel about a law, say limiting the amount of children you can have?
October 30th, 2006, 02:01 PM
mrobinson
I see you got your eye roll in but could you answer the rest of my post?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search