Forms of birth control

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2006, 03:39 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I guess not really meant as a debate.

What's a form of birth control that won't kill an already fertilized egg? I.E. the "pill" makes the uterus an unsavory environment, so if an egg WERE to be fertilized, the baby would not be able to survive.

Having a rough time picking out a form of BC that I'm (in a leaning to pro-life but sort of pro-choice stance) comfortable with.
November 11th, 2006, 03:15 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well condoms of course, Depo - as you don't even have a period (but you do have to watch taking anti-biotics, etc as it is chemical), the diaphragm, and I myself used the rhythm method successfully for over 7 yrs.

There may be more - but that is all I can think of right now.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 11th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Please don't use the depo.I had one shot and bled for 6 mths.

It is being took of the market here IIRC because it is so bad,it is known to cause fertilitly problems,it can take up to three years after the shot before you are fertile again.It can make you put on a lot of weight,more than the pill does.Ive known so many people to take it and end up with some serious problems.My Drs surgery will not allow anyone to get it and like I said I think it either has been took off the market here or people are trying to get it took off.

Im going to use the mirena IUD.

Here are some links on the depo that I thought were intreasting.

http://www.abcinternetmarketing.com/depo-provera/

What is the 3-month Depo-Provera shot?

Depo Provera is a hormone injection that lasts for 3 months to prevent pregnancy. The injection contains synthetic progesterone and no estrogen. It is usually given in the arm or rear, delivering a high level of progesterone into the body. Depo Provera stops the ovaries from releasing eggs. Depo Provera causes the cervical mucus to thicken and changes the uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to enter or survive in the uterus. These changes prevent fertilization. Depo Provera is a very private form of birth control because it cannot be seen on the body and requires no home supplies. It does, however, require a clinic appointment every 3 months. Depo Provera is 97-99.7% effective as birth control. It does not protect against reproductive tract infections, including HIV/AIDS. There are some serious health risks with Depo Provera, so be sure to get all the facts in advance.

Use • Depo and Your Health • Risks • Drug Interactions
Future Fertility • Going Off Depo • Advantages • Disadvantages
Prevent Coercion • Further References • PDF Version

Use

The first shot of Depo Provera is usually given during or a few days after the start of a menstrual period. After 24 hours, the shot is effective birth control for the next 13 weeks. Many women find it useful to schedule their next shot slightly earlier than necessary; if something prevents them from making their appointment, there will be a window of opportunity to receive their next shot.

If you are more than a week late for your shot, use a backup method of birth control for the next two weeks. If you are more than a week late and you have had unprotected sex since your last shot, consider taking a pregnancy test before receiving the next dose.
Your Health

Due to the risk of serious health problems, women with the following conditions should not use Depo Provera.

* Unexplained vaginal bleeding
* Known or suspected pregnancy

Depo Provera may not be recommended for women who are planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, are concerned about weight gain, have liver disease, gallbladder disease, or a history of depression. Study the risks and talk with your health care practitioner.

Health Risks:

Studies released in 2004 show that Depo Provera is associated with a loss of bone density resulting in an increased risk of osteoporosis. The bone loss appears not to be reversed when the woman goes off Depo Provera. Depo is not recommended for long term use and especially not recommended when the young woman is still growing her bones. Women on Depo are advised to exercise and take in plenty of calcium. If you have taken Depo Provera for more than two years, you might want to get a bone density test. (see article on Building Healthy Bones and factsheet on calcium-containing foods )

Some women have allergic reactions to Depo Provera.

If a woman becomes pregnant while using Depo Provera, and continues her pregnancy, there may be an increased risk of premature birth.

The effects of Depo Provera on breast cancer are still unknown.
http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm
November 11th, 2006, 05:20 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
For the moment, we use just condoms and I chart my cycles - and that's it...until I can find a form of more protective BC.

I'm hesitant to use the Depo shot because I've heard soooo many bad things about it, reinforced by what you posted, Samu.

The only one that I've researched that sounds plausible and goes with my moral believes is the Nuvaring...though it sounds pretty inconvenient to have to put in for 8+ hours before and/or after you have sex.

I'm too paranoid to have an IUD, read too many things about infertility and other problems...and I can tell you definately that one way or another, we want to have another child (might it be with IVF to avoid Netherton's syndrome again, or just crossing our fingers that the 1 in 4 shot won't apply to us if it's an Oops pregnancy).
November 11th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
The only one that I've researched that sounds plausible and goes with my moral believes is the Nuvaring...though it sounds pretty inconvenient to have to put in for 8+ hours before and/or after you have sex.[/b]
No honey, you don't have to put it in and out like that (I am on the NuvaRing). You insert it for 3 weeks, and on the fourth week (period week) you simply take it out, and after your period is done, you insert another one.

Basically like that patch, but it goes inside you, not on your skin.

I have to insert the ring 3 days into my cycle though (tmi), because I have had history of BC fail me, and my doctor told me for extra precaution...to insert it a few days before I finish my cycle.
[/b][/quote]

Can you give me some more info on this please? Is it comfy? does it affect sex? how does it work etc etc.I could research it but I always prefer to hear someone elses experiences with it.
November 11th, 2006, 07:35 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I am on my first month of NuvaRing and I don't particularly like it. Warning TMI ahead lol. Well, the way it looks, I would think it would fit like a ring, like horizontally in your vagina, but maybe I am built a little too small, becuase it won't stay as I would think it would, like a diaphragm fits. Mine is constantly sliding down because it won't stay in a ring-shape. Plus I've been really nauseous and I think I may be getting a UTI from it. GRR I hate birth control! I think after I take this one out we will just stick with condoms and I'll just have to deal with irregular periods
November 11th, 2006, 08:43 AM
koakoba's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, never post here, but wanted to add about the ring...
My SIL uses it and LOVES it, but be careful, it has a high rate of "falure" due to being worn wrong. I don't know much about it, or how it's supposed to go in, but if you go that route, you should have your OB check that you are inserting it properly. I know a lot of pregnant women who were using the ring. Don't mean to freak out anyone using the ring, because it is very effective when worn properly, just have to make sure it is

</div>
November 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we are preventing, we just use a spermicide. I know that it isn't as effective as some other things when used alone, but when we were preventing, it wouldn't have been that bad if we had an oops. You really should use a condom with the spermicide to make it more effective. We just don't like them. That being said, we went 2 years only using the spermicide and never had an oops. I won't use anything with hormones, so the pill is out and the IUD with hormones. I would never use depo--too many horror stories. The IUD without hormones creates an unsavory environment for a fertilized egg and I'm against that too (for myself). Once we are finished having children, we will get "fixed" so we don't have to worry about it anymore.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sooo many people fall pregnant when there husbands have the snip it seems.Ive heard a lot of that recently and it scares me because it is something SO is considering a year after the baby is born.We want to make sure we don't anymore first though.

I did read something intreasting,apparently the mirena IUD has a higher sucsess rate then being fixed,I can't find the link as it was posted elsewhere and the website is down for a day or two but I will post it when it re opens.If anyone else can find some good stats on BC and failure rates id be grateful,my research skills are not the best.
November 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
This chart is from the FDA on birth control B/C chart

</div>
November 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
Quote:
I guess not really meant as a debate.

What's a form of birth control that won't kill an already fertilized egg? I.E. the "pill" makes the uterus an unsavory environment, so if an egg WERE to be fertilized, the baby would not be able to survive.

Having a rough time picking out a form of BC that I'm (in a leaning to pro-life but sort of pro-choice stance) comfortable with.[/b]
A fertilized egg can definitely survive if the mother is taking the Pill. I was a birth control baby, my brother was a birth control baby, as was my cousin, etc. Using the Pill will not cause a miscarriage.

November 11th, 2006, 12:38 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay - after reading this I have a couple more things to add. I knwo 2 people VERY close to me that have the IUD with hormones. One chose it becasue it isn't suppose to interfere with Milk supply & hte ohter for "convenience". Both hate it...and were in pain for a long time after insertion. My cousin just had hers put in about a month ago & they perforated her uterus somehow. They were done at different hospitals, the ladies don't knwo eachoether & yet hte 2 people I knwo that got it fone would not recommend ti to anyone & both would have it removed, but had so much pain with insertion are nervous when it coems time to ake it out. I would research that extensively before trying. My best friend actually passed out after ehr procedure & had to stay at the office for 2 hrs because her BP went all crazy & the Dr claimed it was so odd - but yet now I know 2 that had a really hard time.

As far as the ring....I have known people who have liked it & some didn't. One in particular said it made her sex drive go crazy. LOL Maybe some would like that side effect - she didn't. And it is still homronal birth control, so it has same risks & warnings as the pill & works in very similar ways.

As far as not liking condoms, I don't either - but we have tried "natural" condoms, they don't prevent disease, but are just as effective at preventing pg & they are more comfortable & better for each of us - if you are at all interested in checking those out. I also never had one of those kind break.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
but be careful, it has a high rate of "falure" due to being worn wrong.[/b]
Anyways....I never knew that it had a high failure rate!! AHHHH!!!!
[/b][/quote]
ONLY if worn wrong!! Worn right, it's one of the highest success rates!!

</div>
November 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
chlodoll
The Nuvaring is really the same as the pill with making your uterus an "unfavourable" enviroment. Anything that is hormonal does that.

And IUD's are alot better then they used to be but 15% of women who get them get them removed with in the first few months due to pain.
November 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
I had my IUD inserted on the 26th, and so far so good. The only real complaint I have is that I've been bleeding (lightly, however) for almost two weeks. I did have some painful cramps after it was inserted, but Ibuprofen helped a lot. The insertion only took 5 minutes and was just a bit uncomfortable, but that was it. Like I said - the bleeding is a bit annoying, but I'd rather bleed lightly for two weeks than have another baby that we're not ready for.

November 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I beg to differ with you. The pill CAN make and unfavorable uterus and cause a fertilized egg not to implant. I did quite a bit of research on this on the internet because it is very important to me. Sure, people can obviously get pregnant while on the pill, but that just means that all the preventative measures failed (didn't prevent the egg and sperm from joining, didn't prevent the fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus). With the lower and lower does of hormones that are coming out in the new pills, the second preventative measure is what happens more and more.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

November 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
irishxrose
I'm on Depo, and it is fine for me. I have heard that if you use it for less than two years, it will not permantly damage your body. I have not had any weight gain, I have not had a period, and I have found that I am far less moody on Depo than I was on the pill (besides the pill gave me two periods a month!). Depo works differently for everyone.

Also Depo is not being taken off the market... so I don't know where you (samu) is getting that information. Could you give me some sources? Cause if that's true I have to find a new birth control....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search