Changed Minds?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone's mind has ever been changed by what's been said on this abortion debate. Or the circ debate, for that matter. I guess I'm just curious if there's really any "point" to all our (your, rather) debating.
No meanness intended, just curious.
December 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My overall opinion on abortion hasn't changed. But, I'm definately thinking differently about circumcision! I'm not so sure I would circumcise my son if I am blessed with one someday.
December 29th, 2006, 10:25 PM
irishxrose
I know I will not change my mind on abortion, but I hope to open my mind to how others feel on it.

And I will not change my mind on circ. My son is circ'd, and so will any other sons I have. I hate that board. I have been called numerous names there and on pm's and all they ever do is run in circles. I refuse to engage in childish posts, and they have more than their fair share over there.
December 30th, 2006, 01:51 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'm just wondering if anyone's mind has ever been changed by what's been said on this abortion debate. Or the circ debate, for that matter. I guess I'm just curious if there's really any "point" to all our (your, rather) debating.
No meanness intended, just curious.[/b]
I guess it depends on what you mean by changing one's mind. I am still pro-life...but since you are new - I am assuming you may not realize the wide range of topics that have actually come up here. I have gained some insight & many have shared stories here that are personal & add to one's undertanding of the whole concept. I do not think I have to change my mind, nor do I think anyone else does in order for there to be a "point". I am not here to convert others to my way of thinking & I don't think very many are...at least not from what I have seen. It is in an intellectual exchange of opinions, facts, research, ideas, beliefs, etc. That IS the point IMO.

As far as hte circ debating - can't really say - I tired to venture in a time or two & quickly was annoyed so I left. Ther eis no point in that for ME - if all it does is irritate me.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

December 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Have not changed my abortion views, which are that it's unfortunate and unnecessary in many cases and tragic and difficult (for all parties) in the cases where it does/must occur.

As for circ (cause it was brought up), I have always been pro-intact and if anything, the debates have strenghtened that.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

December 30th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Quote:
No meanness intended, just curious.[/b]
I guess it depends on what you mean by changing one's mind. I am still pro-life...but since you are new - I am assuming you may not realize the wide range of topics that have actually come up here. I have gained some insight & many have shared stories here that are personal & add to one's undertanding of the whole concept. I do not think I have to change my mind, nor do I think anyone else does in order for there to be a "point". I am not here to convert others to my way of thinking & I don't think very many are...at least not from what I have seen. It is in an intellectual exchange of opinions, facts, research, ideas, beliefs, etc. That IS the point IMO.

As far as hte circ debating - can't really say - I tired to venture in a time or two & quickly was annoyed so I left. Ther eis no point in that for ME - if all it does is irritate me.
[/b]
Ditto!
You have articulated my opinion better than I think I ever could! (except, replace pro-life with pro-choice)

The circ debates *shudder*, I stay far away from that board. It only boils down to childish name calling and judgmental BS. I don't see any point in participating in such hateful, childish banter.

December 30th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy
I dont go to circ boards much because I dont like it and many mean things said. but in my real life circumcision debate between my husbands family and my sons condition (immune and blood disorders) it really opened my mind not to do it to him. He may read the law different and do it himself when older.

Abortion I dont know. I feel like my opinion changes daily. between what is written in my faith and my expereinces and stories and I dont know....I would still say I am confusedly prolife.
December 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I dont per take in either debates very often,but I do read them....I am pro-life and that hasnt changed. With Circ...I think if I knew more,things may have been different with my son. Cant really say for sure. It's not something I feel strongly about one way or another.

</div>

</blockquote>
December 30th, 2006, 04:48 PM
texasmomof2
I also don't take part in very many of the debates, but I do read them. I don't know that my opinion has changed, I am still very much pro-life, but I have learned to respect other people's opinions and ideas more.
December 30th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The debate boards have defenetly made it so I am much more let people do what ever they want because in the end it's not my choices. I do not live the consequences of what others do to themself. As long as it doesn't infring on the choices I can make for myself then I really don't care. I do feel certain things are wrong but abortion or circumsition is not in my catigories. My son is not circumsized because of personal feelings and I STRONGLY belive in abortion. When I first came here I was far from how I feel today. I think these debates to matter because you explore who you are as a person. If someone else comes to see it the same way you do great but I don't think that matters as much.

December 30th, 2006, 11:48 PM
chlodoll
I dont think there is anything that could ever make me not prochoice but this board has made my beliefs stronger, but to also understand another side.

Circ boards did change my mind, and I now have a healthy intact boy! Without that board I would have probably circumcised him unwillingly.
December 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Tofu Bacon
Not necessarily from JM (I'm a newbie) but in general, I've learned that the issue is not black & white. While I think I will always lean toward the pro-life camp, I have definitely learned that "pro-choice" does not have to mean "pro-abortion."
January 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
MamaBx3
Quote:
I will always lean toward the pro-life camp, I have definitely learned that "pro-choice" does not have to mean "pro-abortion."[/b]
Ditto .
I was 100% pro-life at first , But I think that now I'm more pro-life for myself , and for all the other women out there , I feel that it is their choice .

As for circ , I was all for it when I was uninformed . Now that I have researched it , If I ever have boys they will be left intact .
January 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
TanyaD
Quote:
Not necessarily from JM (I'm a newbie) but in general, I've learned that the issue is not black & white. While I think I will always lean toward the pro-life camp, I have definitely learned that "pro-choice" does not have to mean "pro-abortion."[/b]

ITA WITH YOUR STATEMENT. JUST BECAUSE I MAY NOT CHOOSE SOMETHING FOR MYSELF DOESNT MEAN IT ISNT RIGHT FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

WITH CIRC...I AM JUST STARING TO RESEARCH IT SINCE I AM NOW PREGNANT AGAIN. I DONT HAVE ENOUGH INFO YET TO MAKE A CHOICE...
January 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I have definitely learned that "pro-choice" does not have to mean "pro-abortion."[/b]

January 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mind hasn't changed on either issue. If anything, having to do research in order to debate has reinforced my ideas. Being able to find responses to the most common and/or stronger of points from "the other side" has showed me that my choices were right for me and my children.
What debates have changed in me is that I'm more open to hearing the ideas of others and more respectful of their POVs even if I disagree. I've realized I'm no one to tell others what to do with their lives, their bodies and their families. I love sharing my ideas and my information, but ultimately each of us makes a choice based on our experiences, ideas and beliefs. And if I just helped make that decision a bit more informed, I'm more than happy.
I've found that being able to accept the choices of others even if they differ from my own has made me more secure of myself.

Sharon
January 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Dayna1
No, haven't changed my mind at all. I'm pro life and against circ.

As other posters have said, if anything it made my anti circ. beliefs stronger.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search