Pro-choice Movement?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
chlodoll
Why do people act like abortion is something new?

Women have been have abortions since women have been becoming pregnant. Abortion is just as old as birth.
January 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
mrobinson
January 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Are you referring to the term "pro-choice movement"?

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

January 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I don't follow either. Is it because people don't "like " it you ask? Is it laws? Prostitution has been around jsut as long & as far as I can see is just as controversial - probably more-so. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
chlodoll
I just dont think its a movement. Its always been around and always will be. What is different now is its safe, and people still want to take that away.
January 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Quote:
I just dont think its a movement. Its always been around and always will be. What is different now is its safe, and people still want to take that away.[/b]
I definitely think "pro-choice" is a movement. Why? Because while abortion may have been around for years and years, people are becoming more educated and more and more, women are having access to that choice. Remember when abortion clinics were "hidden" and not advertised?

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

January 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I just dont think its a movement. Its always been around and always will be. What is different now is its safe, and people still want to take that away.[/b]
Abortion isn't new, but I think the pro-choice movement is. It's more open now, more people are starting to accept it as an option as others are more outspoken about the right to have an abortion.

Sharon
January 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
chlodoll
Cave women had abortions! They didnt goto back alley clinics. They aborted their babies themselves through different methods, herbs, extreme physcial activity etc all in hope to miscarry. Women have always had abortions long before surgical ones.

And not that many women have access to abortion. There are no abortion clinics in like 80% of the US. People are taking that access away. We are moving backwards and its ridiculous to me. I once read that 70% of the US says they are pro-choice, but it sure doesnt seem like it.
January 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Cave women had abortions! They didnt goto back alley clinics. They aborted their babies themselves through different methods, herbs, extreme physcial activity etc all in hope to miscarry. Women have always had abortions long before surgical ones.

And not that many women have access to abortion. There are no abortion clinics in like 80% of the US. People are taking that access away. We are moving backwards and its ridiculous to me. I once read that 70% of the US says they are pro-choice, but it sure doesnt seem like it.[/b]
I am not sure I understand that stat - within what radius do you mean? In that exact town, within 20 miles, 60 miles, etc?

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
chlodoll
I'll find the statistics later tonight, i have a bowling injury preventing me right now lol
January 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Super Mommy
88% of the counties in the USA do not have an abortion provider (these are 2004 numbers from guttmacher)

In Finer LB, Henshaw SK. Abortion incidence and services in the United States in 2000. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2003, 35(1):6-15 the number is 87% of counties in the USA do not have an abortion provider.
January 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Not every county even has a hospital though...just because you don't have a clinic in your county doesn't equate to not having access. I live in one county & work in another - so I travel to a different county every single day. Not having a clinic in one's county doesn't equate to lacking access IMO. I guess I would have to say more than 2 hr drive might begin to limit access - otherwise isn't it simply an issue of supply & demand? Some places do not allow clinics - I get that - but many just simply do not have enough call for a clinic I'm sure.

January 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
mrobinson
..nor the society that accepts it in the first place...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search