pro-choice/ pro-abortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Super Mommy
I have seen people say that prochoice does not mean proabortion. But if someone actively wants to keep the choice there isnt that- maybe grudgingly- in some way agreeing with the procedure. But i could see that logically just because you allow something to be there doesn't mean you are "pro" that thing. it isn't so black and white.

what are your thoughts on this?
January 7th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I HATE the thought of abortions,I wish no one ever needed them.I am agaisnt them for myself,especially as I faced with that decision just 9 mths ago. I am not pro abortion,I do not agree with the procedure either.

I am pro choice though because A) If we make it illegal we are just going to get more back street abortions and B ) not matter how *I* feel about abortion I respect others view it differently and it should be illegal because some people class it as murder.

I can see what you are trying to say but I am in no way pro abortion and have yet to meet a pro choicer who is. The difference between a pro lifer and a pro choicer is that pro choicers do not want the choice taken away because we respect that life is not black and white,we respect the fact that a women should have that choice.
January 7th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Interestingly, I used to think the same thing (i.e., that pro-choice meant pro-abortion). Coming here has actually helped me see past this. Just as I used to be 100% pro-life, I am now "pro-life, but not anti-choice." I can't see things in terms of absolutes anymore. I don't agree with abortion in most cases, but I also cannot agree with a woman having no control over her life and her situation. It's weird that it took having a baby for me to see things this way, but that's what happened.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

January 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
paganempath
I'm one who is not only pro-choice; I'm also pro-abortion. I do think that proper precautions should be taken to avoid pregnancy if one doesn't want to raise a child. However, I believe that when that fails-- for whatever reason-- most of the time, abortion is the best solution. I have no problem with the procedure; I've had one myself. And I don't believe in a stigma being attached to women who've had abortions.

I know most people think that adoption is a better alternative, but I think that works only in a perfect world. Some say that it's easy to find families for all of these children that the parents don't want to keep. Tell that to all the kids who never get a permanent family and grow to adulthood with no place to call home. Where do they go back to when everyone else is going home for the holidays? I feel very bad for them.

In addition, I have a serious problem with children who are subjected to abuse and neglect by parents who didn't want them or are unable to care for them properly. You can't tell me that being aborted as an 8-week-old fetus is worse than being thrown against a wall and then kicked to death at the age of 2.

So all in all, abortion is a much preferable alternative to me than living a life of pain and loneliness. I was a mistake baby and there are many, many times that I wish my mom had gotten an abortion.
January 8th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Veteran
Yes i think that you can be prochoice and not necessarily support the idea of abortions.
I think that it needs to be kept as a valid last choice option. IMO every other avenue should be considered and abortion should not be taken lightly but however it still should be an option for those who feel they cannot or couldnt happily and safely carry and/or raise a baby.
I believe you can be prochoice and still have consideration for the depth and seriousness of the procedure and its effect on the potential life and its mother.
January 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I was a mistake baby and there are many, many times that I wish my mom had gotten an abortion.[/b]
That makes me very sad. I was a mistake baby as well & was never made to feel anything other than loved & wanted. I am sorry that wasn't the same for you.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
chlodoll
I just dont like the term pro-abortion but I guess technically I am. I dont consider abortion what some people would say as a nessecary evil. I think its just a part of life and always has been.

The term pro-abortion sounds like I am yelling out "ABORTIONS FOR ALL!" to me!
January 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know, it' s funny because I usually don't like to refer as myself as "pro-life" because it implies that theother side is against life and I find that ridiculous. I think trying to find a term to describe a large group of people is very hard because we're individuals and we have different beliefs and POVs so it's unfair to group us all into one big chunk with a label on it.
Personally, I'd never consider abortion as an option for me. I also believe that there are other options a person can consider before abortion. But if a woman decides it's better for her to have an abortion, then I'm in no position to judge her decision because I'm not in her shoes. I also don't believe abortion should be illegal. So does that make me anti-abortion? or pro-life? or pro-choice? I honestly have no idea. I've learned to respect the choices of others, even those I disagree with.

And to paganempath, I'm so sorry you feel that way about yourself. I myself am adopted, so in a way I was a "mistake" as well. But, thank G-d I fell into a family that really wanted a baby to love (my mom lost two sons because of a very rare genetic disorder) and they always made me feel loved and never made a difference between me and my brother (whose a biological son). I can understand that there are children that aren't that lucky, but IMO, there are many more that have found good, loving homes. And there are many people out there willing to give their love to a child and unfortunately can't have one of their own.
January 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I believe you can be prochoice and still have consideration for the depth and seriousness of the procedure and its effect on the potential life and its mother.[/b]
Quote:
The term pro-abortion sounds like I am yelling out "ABORTIONS FOR ALL!" to me![/b]
I completely agree with these statements. I don't think anyone should take abortions lightly. It is an unbelievably huge decision which will impact all involved, for good or ill, for the rest of their lives.

Quote:
Personally, I'd never consider abortion as an option for me. I also believe that there are other options a person can consider before abortion. But if a woman decides it's better for her to have an abortion, then I'm in no position to judge her decision because I'm not in her shoes. I also don't believe abortion should be illegal. So does that make me anti-abortion? or pro-life? or pro-choice? I honestly have no idea.[/b]
If I had to label it, I would consider you pro-choice. To me pro-choice is simply saying that my personal views on abortion shouldn't dictate whether another woman is able to have one. It doesn't mean I have to want an abortion for myself or try to convince other women to have one. Pro-choice is all about making the choice that is right for you, whether it is having the baby, adoption, or abortion.

January 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Quote:
To me pro-choice is simply saying that my personal views on abortion shouldn't dictate whether another woman is able to have one. It doesn't mean I have to want an abortion for myself or try to convince other women to have one. Pro-choice is all about making the choice that is right for you, whether it is having the baby, adoption, or abortion.[/b]
ITA. In my opinion, pro-choice means that you back up the choice not the act. Pro-abortion would mean that you back up abortion.
January 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM
paganempath
Quote:
Quote:
I was a mistake baby and there are many, many times that I wish my mom had gotten an abortion.[/b]
That makes me very sad. I was a mistake baby as well & was never made to feel anything other than loved & wanted. I am sorry that wasn't the same for you.
[/b]

No, don't be sad about that, Beckie! It's not that I was made to feel like a mistake; my mom says a "surprise". I know my family has always loved me and my mom is happy that I'm here. It's just that there have been so many situations I've been in that have made me wish I'd never been born. So it IS sad in a sense, but it's much more just my own angst and not any external influence that's made me feel this way.
January 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Quote:
I have seen people say that prochoice does not mean proabortion. But if someone actively wants to keep the choice there isnt that- maybe grudgingly- in some way agreeing with the procedure. But i could see that logically just because you allow something to be there doesn't mean you are "pro" that thing. it isn't so black and white.

what are your thoughts on this?[/b]
Not at all in a MORAL way. I'm a pro choice person. I don't agree with abortion. I could never have one. But as far as I am concerned that does NOT give me the right to dictate others life by removing the choice.
HOWEVER I would much ratehr abortion was legal than illegal to prevent backstreet sbortions and girls with the coat hangers... this is about saving one life out of two. You are NEVER gonig to stop people aborting a baby, they hide there pregnancies drink til their numb and use a coathanger and bleed to death. You physically can NEVER stop it happening. I figure you may as well have control and make it safe.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
You are NEVER gonig to stop people aborting a baby, they hide there pregnancies drink til their numb and use a coathanger and bleed to death. You physically can NEVER stop it happening.[/b]
This is one of the reasons why I wouldn't want abortion to be illegal even if I'm all against it (and I am). I think believing that just because something's illegal it'll stop from happening is a very naive idea, IMHO. Of course it may help to lower the numbers of abortions, but it won't stop abortions and those who do happen would be done in unsanitary, dangerous conditions.
We have to be realistic here.

Sharon
January 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Quote:
You know, it' s funny because I usually don't like to refer as myself as "pro-life" because it implies that theother side is against life and I find that ridiculous. I think trying to find a term to describe a large group of people is very hard because we're individuals and we have different beliefs and POVs so it's unfair to group us all into one big chunk with a label on it.
Personally, I'd never consider abortion as an option for me. I also believe that there are other options a person can consider before abortion. But if a woman decides it's better for her to have an abortion, then I'm in no position to judge her decision because I'm not in her shoes. I also don't believe abortion should be illegal. So does that make me anti-abortion? or pro-life? or pro-choice? I honestly have no idea. I've learned to respect the choices of others, even those I disagree with.[/b]
Hey you can just be in my camp...I am anti-abortion & anti-legislation. I really struggle with the concept of abortion - I have to admit it is difficult for me - but that doesn't mean I feel free to pass judgement & I never think laws are the answer. So that is how I would techinically categorize myself.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 19th, 2007, 08:46 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
What do you mean about laws being the answer?
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
What do you mean about laws being the answer?[/b]
Meaning, if I may speak for you Beck, that legislating/outlawing abortion will not solve the abortion issue. We need to have programs for education, counseling and support services instead.

January 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean about laws being the answer?[/b]
Meaning, if I may speak for you Beck, that legislating/outlawing abortion will not solve the abortion issue. We need to have programs for education, counseling and support services instead.
[/b]
Ditto.
[/b]
Correct!

I have a hard time having a clear answer to pro-choice vs. pro-life. I see myself as absolutely pro-life...but I also see myself as absolutely withholding judgement for anyone who feels differently & I do not think that making laws that limit anyone's personal freedoms as being the answer to ANY problem....abortion or otherwise. There are always smarter ways to work toward a better solution than simply adding another law to the books.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search