Can embryos experience?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Super Mommy
In the other thread people were talking about whether or not an embryo can experience something. And they were talking about "well, a two year old cant remember it but that doesnt mean they doesnt experience"- that kind of thing.

But my question is if something that has no functioning brain yet can experience. I don't feel that my skin cells experience. I don't feel that objects without brains experience. I don't think my eggs experience either.

But then there is the question of a soul. Does an embryo have a soul and can that allow it to experience?

sorry is this is a little muddled its hard to explain what I mean here.
January 8th, 2007, 08:49 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
But my question is if something that has no functioning brain yet can experience. I don't feel that my skin cells experience. I don't feel that objects without brains experience. I don't think my eggs experience either.

But then there is the question of a soul. Does an embryo have a soul and can that allow it to experience?[/b]
Well, my grandfather is dead serious when he tells me that he remembers being a fetus. How is that possible? Well I think your second question is the answer.. It's about soul. Obviously it's not really debateable but I think we can all give our perspectives on this. (I don't think my grandfather believes my theory, he is more about his brain memory.)

I personally think that the soul of a fetus, infant, child, adult can leave the body as it wishes. (As actual born, we do it in our sleep.) I think that is what miscarriages, and SIDS is about. My DH talks alot about the conditions not being right in a way that's not easy to convey. For example, if a fetus is sick (say a physical deformity) in some way, it may feel the conditions are not right so it leaves (miscarriage.) But I don't think it's anyone's fault by any means.. just some condition isn't being met ~ not in a sense we can make the conditions right, just something out of our hands. It likely doesn't seem fair to us, especially if we experience it first hand, but it's just there.
January 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Super Mommy
Are there limitations then to what you think the embryo experiences? Can we justify abortion even if we bleieve the embryo experiences the abortion. Not that it just happens, but that the embryo has the experience of the abortion.

Also- with the difference between fetus and embryo that might be something to be considered in the debate. if we are just tlaking about embryos, does that change the question of experience?
January 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Are there limitations then to what you think the embryo experiences?[/b]
yes because they haven't developed phyiscally so they can't experience pain the way we do.

Quote:
Can we justify abortion even if we bleieve the embryo experiences the abortion. Not that it just happens, but that the embryo has the experience of the abortion.[/b]
Yes we can justify it.. That's the human experience of making that choice. To some people there will never, ever be a good enough reason but to others there are. So the justification of it is as individual as to the mother as well as the fetus/embryo.

Quote:
Also- with the difference between fetus and embryo that might be something to be considered in the debate. if we are just tlaking about embryos, does that change the question of experience?[/b]
Not to me.
January 8th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Quote:
Quote:
Are there limitations then to what you think the embryo experiences?[/b]
yes because they haven't developed phyiscally so they can't experience pain the way we do.

[/b]
Nor do they have a memory, which the mother does, hence abortion is such an emotionally painful decision.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

January 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Veteran
I would think that one would need a brain - and a fully developed brain - to 1. experience and 2. remember. How do you suggest that an embro - dividing cells that lack the existence of a fuctional brain - experiences or remembers? I would like to hear a theory if anyone can suggest one. Not trying to be cocky just interested in the response.
January 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

But then there is the question of a soul. Does an embryo have a soul and can that allow it to experience?[/b]
Well, my grandfather is dead serious when he tells me that he remembers being a fetus. How is that possible? Well I think your second question is the answer.. It's about soul. Obviously it's not really debateable but I think we can all give our perspectives on this. (I don't think my grandfather believes my theory, he is more about his brain memory.)

I personally think that the soul of a fetus, infant, child, adult can leave the body as it wishes. (As actual born, we do it in our sleep.) I think that is what miscarriages, and SIDS is about. My DH talks alot about the conditions not being right in a way that's not easy to convey. For example, if a fetus is sick (say a physical deformity) in some way, it may feel the conditions are not right so it leaves (miscarriage.) But I don't think it's anyone's fault by any means.. just some condition isn't being met ~ not in a sense we can make the conditions right, just something out of our hands. It likely doesn't seem fair to us, especially if we experience it first hand, but it's just there.
[/b]
I agree somewhat with your husband - I had an ectopic pregnancy where the fetus died a week or so before the ectopic was removed and I can tell the exact moment the heart beat stopped. Didn't feel pain or anything like that just the loss of that feeling of someone sitting next to me. I feel it way my baby's way of saying goodbye. Or else, maybe I am just crazy but I swear I knew that I felt her there one minute and not the next, however, I didn't know at that point medically that she had passed.

So yes, I believe a fetus has a soul.

However, I am still pro-choice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search