Something on tv angered me. It's not a debate of being pro life or pro choice

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I was flipping through channels last night. Paused on one. It is a local Christian channel. It's what I guess more of a protestant type of fundamental christian channel. A show was starting. It was a doctor speaking. But it was more of a bible message first. Before they got into the topic of the show. I assumed this doctor was maybe going to talk of a holistic treatment to a common health issue or issues. I continued watching a bit more. Finally this doctor gets into the topic of abortion. I figured it to be just a talk on pro life issues. I watch even a bit more. They flip to a woman at a clinic having an abortion. They showed the whole thing from start to finish. Or they said they were going to. In all the gory details. To horrid to mention here. After the first bit of the procedure. I had to flip the channel. Nothing was mentioned before the show started. For mature audiences only. Graphic material to be shown. This was at 7pm. Which in my oppinion is still the family hour with tv watching. I watched a bit of what they were doing. It got to ugly for me. I had to turn the channel. I myself didn't or don't know much how they do abortions. So it had me curious. I myself don't proclaim to be pro choice or pro life. I think I'm a little of both. I would never abort a baby I was pregnant with. But in the same I would never stand in the way of a woman wanting an abortion. This show could of been viewed by kids. For them it may be to scarry. I remember some years back. Someone or someones went around neighborhoods putting vhs tapes at door steps. The news showed a 5 yr old child found the tape on their porch. Puts it in the vcr. It was of an actual abortion. I don't think they found out who left the tapes at houses. Would you be angered that they showed an actual abortion on regular local tv. I found a contact for that tv station. I wrote them at the email contact for comments about their programming. I told them the program of last night was very distastefull and unapropriate for regular tv. And then you don't even forewarn the public this is graphic. For mature audiences only. That this is the family hour. Kids could of seen that. I just ripped into that station. Not in swear words. But how I felt that programming should not of been aired without prior warning. I never got a response yet on my email. I probably won't. That's ok too. I just felt good telling that station how I felt.
January 18th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
It is propaganda, IMO, if they put the disclaimer, someone may turn the channel. It is probably with the intent of having children see it, it frightens them and instills a sense of judgment within them.

I remember when I was in junior high, maybe 12, I came home and got the mail and there was a pro-life pamphlet. It was not sealed in an envelope or even closed. It contained pictures of aborted and dismembered fetuses, it was extremely graphic in its pictures and even the descriptions. I was 12 and was so disturbed by it, my mother was furious, to say the least. It is unimaginable that they are able to distribute and screen such graphic material without so much as a disclaimer or, in my case, an envelope with a warning.

Good for you, for stepping up to the plate and expressing your displeasure. That is unacceptable, regardless of your position on the matter. I am pro-choice, but I do not wish my children to be exposed to such adult situations. I don't want their minds warped with those images, and I find it infuriating that a Christian station feels it is justifiable to run the risk of children seeing such things.

January 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Thats gotta break watershed laws in your country! And despite the pro-life/pro-choice/anti-abortion thing its a private thing, a private procedure
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I compleetly disagree with them showing that during regular TV hours & with no disclaimer as well. I wouldn't want to view it no matter when it cam eon - but I believe viewers should be warned. I think even on Discovery health they warn of the graphic nature of some of the surgeries, etc. I think you should get a petition goint o show them how many people are disgusted by it. I would bet many pro-life people would still not agree with a 7pm broadcast of htat nature. It really isn't something children should ever see.....even if they are being taught to be pro-life, you don't have to view an abortion to teach it. I will teach my children that I don't believe in capitol punishment, but I don't intend to show them executions either.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

January 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If it is such a bad thing to see on tv or in a pamphlet then why is abortion an ok thing to be done. The truth needs to be told and shown about abortion and if it saves even one unborn babys life for someone to see that stuff, then it is worth it and if my child saw that stuff, I would tell her there are bad people out there that hurt little babies.
January 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
If it is such a bad thing to see on tv or in a pamphlet then why is abortion an ok thing to be done. The truth needs to be told and shown about abortion and if it saves even one unborn babys life for someone to see that stuff, then it is worth it and if my child saw that stuff, I would tell her there are bad people out there that hurt little babies.[/b]
I guess that's exactly why rape, war, the killing of people and animals is on TV too. Trust me, I tell people there are lots of people out there that hurt babies ~ but ones that are outside the womb.
January 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If it is such a bad thing to see on tv or in a pamphlet then why is abortion an ok thing to be done. The truth needs to be told and shown about abortion and if it saves even one unborn babys life for someone to see that stuff, then it is worth it and if my child saw that stuff, I would tell her there are bad people out there that hurt little babies.[/b]
I don't understand the logic on this one. The OP did not say she was opposed to the show because she was opposed to abortion and no one is pretending it is not gory or horrific to see. I do not believe that it needs to be on prime time television and would also be upset if I saw that.

For example -
Sex is a beautiful thing but it does not belong on television at 7 PM. Would you allow your daughter to watch a couple having sex on TV and tell her that it is great because it creates babies. Probably not -- regardless of the intent (shock value), certain things are better left behind closed doors.
January 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand the logic on this one. The OP did not say she was opposed to the show because she was opposed to abortion and no one is pretending it is not gory or horrific to see. I do not believe that it needs to be on prime time television and would also be upset if I saw that.

For example -
Sex is a beautiful thing but it does not belong on television at 7 PM. Would you allow your daughter to watch a couple having sex on TV and tell her that it is great because it creates babies. Probably not -- regardless of the intent (shock value), certain things are better left behind closed doors.
[/b]
Agree, agree, agree. This is propaganda, pure and simple. Silly aside, but how many people were offended that their kids saw Janet Jackson's boob? Would anyone equate one breast (while fake and tortured by that crazy nipple metal thing) with a dismembered orgy? Who is this meant for?

YAY FOR SMART PEOPLE!

January 30th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Quote:

I agree with you 100% and I would tell my kids the same thing. I'd rather them see that then watch some of the smutty disgusting shoes on prime time public television. At least in seeing that they are getting convicted to stand up for those who can't defend themselves. Seeing boobs, sex, drugs, etc on tv does nothing but glamorize it and make it look like the desired lifestyle in MOST ways its displayed.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
January 30th, 2007, 04:35 PM
mrobinson
You girls can bet I will be showing my kids pictures of why abortion is necessary.
January 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
You girls can bet I will be showing my kids pictures of why abortion is necessary.[/b]
February 13th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Candice Send a message via Yahoo to Candice
Ok... I don't like the idea of abortion no matter when it's performed. I guess that means i'm pro-life.. although i do agree that women should have the right to choose. Anyways that's not the point here.

Would i want to see it on TV... Myself, no.. for good reason. But TV is the biggest medium that the public use.. so if you wanted to get your message out there and hit as many as possible.. then Tv is a good idea.

But I agree.. having on when children are around.. not a good idea. But if you look at it as a medical procedure.. then the kids have most likely seen surgeries done on TV all the time.

Kids today are soo desensitized by what they see on TV anyways.. it wouldn't be much a stretch.

I still wouldn't let my girls watch something like that on tv.

I don't know why Irishxrose and MRobinson would let thier kids watch that.. unless they are like 16 years old.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16b04c <--- CLICK ME TO STALK THE CHART
February 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I don't know why Irishxrose and MRobinson would let thier kids watch that.. unless they are like 16 years old.[/b]
I said I would show why abortions are needed.. There are so many reasons.. I won't limit them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search