Free abortions to addicts?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Free abortions to addicts?
Yes 11 47.83%
No 9 39.13%
other 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
mrobinson
In another thread people were talking about passing laws on pregnant women.. because my answer wouldn't fly in that thread, I thought I'd start a new question here.

Addictions are hard to quit overnight. I know some girls can do it but there are many who can't. Their rock bottom may not be what we think it should be (like getting pregnant because of a high on the floor of a crack basement) but it is what it is. We don't have great addiction centres ~ where I live they are usually full. So what options do many pregnant addicts have? Would you support free abortions to addicts? Why not? We want women to sober up and take responsibly but sometimes it just not possible. Would you prefer these babies to be born with defects and go through withdrawl instead of allowing a free abortion to a willing addict?
January 23rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would support free abortions for addicts. If a woman knows that she is not in a place where she wants to quit using drugs/alcohol, I would much rather her have an abortion than continue to harm the baby and then bring it into a world where it will need special care and nobody who can (emotionally, financially, etc..) provide that care.
January 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I chose other, because I'm not really sure.

On the one side:

I don't believe that abortion should ever be used as a contraceptive. Because no matter how the situation you presented rolls off your tongue (or keyboard) - the baby is inconvenient, came at an inconvenient time for the mom (drug addiction), or will face perils in his/her lifetime because of the said inconvenience (drugs are more important than baby) - you're still using it as a contraceptive.

As for the 'undesirable' babies (birth defects, etc b/c of drugs), the outcome is not up for us to decide. Many babies are growing up in orphanages and foster homes. Would you go to one of them and tell them their life is not worth living? We can't use the excuse that it will prevent future suffering.

Are drug addicts in a stable frame of mind? My thoughts are - no, they're probably not if they're drug addicts. We can't know how negatively it will impact her (the drug-addicted mom who had the abortion). There will be a moment of relieve and perhaps years of remorse.

And, is selfishness a factor here? Not of the mother, but of society, to not want to "deal" with babies who were subjected to drugs and alcohol?

On the other side:

It is a shame that people act in a such a way that 'unwanted' pregnancies occur and it would be nice if everyone took measures to prevent unwanted pregnancies and took responsibility and loved the child when they did get pregnant - but such a world does not exist and it is unrealistic to think otherwise.

And, we cannot make decisions for others. Each person is at a different point on their path in this life, and saying "no" to giving free abortions to drug addicts is making a decision for them (in part).

I feel extremly sorry for any person who has been put into the position of feeling that her abortion was a necessity. My wishes for her is that she would find consolation, understanding and compassion from everyone.
January 24th, 2007, 05:59 AM
paganempath
First of all, I think it's inaccurate to say that all unwanted pregnancies are the result of irresponsibility and to call their actions "shameful." Although I think that statement is unfair in general, there are many cases where it's downright wrong. What about women who are raped? They should be on birth control every minute of their lives just in case someone rapes them? Oh yes, how shameful of them to be minding their own business walking down the street when somebody attacks them. Blame the victim much?

And I have a personal experience with unwanted pregnancy that was a bit out of the ordinary. I went 11 years without ever becoming pregnant. After 2 years, you are considered infertile. So by all intents and purposes, I was probably considered sterile. I had no pregnancy scares and no indication that I could ever become pregnant. Then it just happened out of the blue. I was married and making enough money to support a baby, but I didn't want one. I had already accepted the fact that it wasn't possible for me and I was just fine with that. But there I was--pregnant. So I had an abortion. Some people might think I was irresponsible for it happening in the first place, but I don't. I had every reason to believe it was impossible. And what did I do after the abortion?-- I went on the pill. Once I knew it was possible, I prevented it. And that's called the responsibility that everyone is so concerned about in the abortion issue.

Okay, now onto the actual topic at hand... I do believe that abortions should be free for drug addicted women. However, I'm all into prevention as well. I think free birth control is appropriate too. But BC that is out of their hands such as Norplant, an IUD, etc. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
January 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I think they should... at least then the option is there... no one is there to make them take that choice.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
So you'd have a child bought into a world with a drug addict mother living in a squat with no way to look after that child because she spends all hr money on drugs?
I lvoe you cece but thats just so selfish...
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 24th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Quote:
First of all, I think it's inaccurate to say that all unwanted pregnancies are the result of irresponsibility and to call their actions "shameful." Although I think that statement is unfair in general, there are many cases where it's downright wrong. What about women who are raped? They should be on birth control every minute of their lives just in case someone rapes them? Oh yes, how shameful of them to be minding their own business walking down the street when somebody attacks them. Blame the victim much?

And I have a personal experience with unwanted pregnancy that was a bit out of the ordinary. I went 11 years without ever becoming pregnant. After 2 years, you are considered infertile. So by all intents and purposes, I was probably considered sterile. I had no pregnancy scares and no indication that I could ever become pregnant. Then it just happened out of the blue. I was married and making enough money to support a baby, but I didn't want one. I had already accepted the fact that it wasn't possible for me and I was just fine with that. But there I was--pregnant. So I had an abortion. Some people might think I was irresponsible for it happening in the first place, but I don't. I had every reason to believe it was impossible. And what did I do after the abortion?-- I went on the pill. Once I knew it was possible, I prevented it. And that's called the responsibility that everyone is so concerned about in the abortion issue.

Okay, now onto the actual topic at hand... I do believe that abortions should be free for drug addicted women. However, I'm all into prevention as well. I think free birth control is appropriate too. But BC that is out of their hands such as Norplant, an IUD, etc. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.[/b]
I'm not understanding you. The only sentence that involved shame that I wrote was:

Quote:
It is a shame that people act in a such a way that 'unwanted' pregnancies occur and it would be nice if everyone took measures to prevent unwanted pregnancies and took responsibility and loved the child when they did get pregnant - but such a world does not exist and it is unrealistic to think otherwise.[/b]
I do find it a shame that people act in a way that unwanted pregnancies occur. I didn't say it was "shameful". I can't decide how women will feel when and if they have an abortion, and if they have shame, that's not an emotion *I* brought upon them. I think you've taken my statement much out of context. I wouldn't blame the victim of rape, I was a victim of rape.

Quote:
[color=#009900]First of all, I think it's inaccurate to say that all unwanted pregnancies are the result of irresponsibility[/b]
What else would you call having sex when you know you can get pregnant (even if the chance is teeny tiny and minute), but not wanting the baby, and basically knowing beforehand that you'd have an abortion? Responsibility?
January 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I voted "other". Ideally, there would be help for these women as far as getting clean while pregnant. With my first baby I was on Methadone , and became friends with several other pregnant women at the clinic. We were treated very respectfully, and closely monitored, including random drug tests. As a part of the program, we also had to attend weekly meetings and weekly counseling sessions. When the babies were born, they were monitored closely at the hospital, and usually came home in about a week.

I think it is critical to address addiction during pregnancy, and ideally this would be the situation BEFORE an abortion is considered.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
January 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Veteran
Coming from a person who strongly supports free universial health care(as is provided in other western nations) anyhow - I would STRONGLY support free reproductive health care for ALL disadvantaged people, weather they suffer from addiction or poverty. I believe if a vitial health care need, even an "elective" one like abortion, is present then that need should not be unavaliable because that person is impoverished or addicted or both.
January 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
paganempath
Quote:
What else would you call having sex when you know you can get pregnant (even if the chance is teeny tiny and minute), but not wanting the baby, and basically knowing beforehand that you'd have an abortion? Responsibility?[/b]
I was referring to those women/children who are subjected to sexual abuse, whether it be from a stranger, a relative, etc. Is it that hard to figure out?
January 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
What else would you call having sex when you know you can get pregnant (even if the chance is teeny tiny and minute), but not wanting the baby, and basically knowing beforehand that you'd have an abortion? Responsibility?[/b]
I was referring to those women/children who are subjected to sexual abuse, whether it be from a stranger, a relative, etc. Is it that hard to figure out?
[/b][/quote]

Is it "hard to figure out" that by me saying

Quote:
I wouldn't blame the victim of rape, I was a victim of rape.[/b]
I was most probably not talking about women who were sexually abused in any way?

Not quite sure why you're tearing apart my post with no real arguements, either, when I said in my very first post:

Quote:
I feel extremly sorry for any person who has been put into the position of feeling that her abortion was a necessity. My wishes for her is that she would find consolation, understanding and compassion from everyone.[/b]
Meaning, my compassion is with anyone who had an abortion, even if I can't support their decision.
January 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Dayna1
Definetly not. I agree with Cece on this one.
January 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Cright's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Cright
I wouldn't support it at all... I don't want my tax dollars going to get rid of the the crack head's innocent baby, because she's a crack head! The baby deserves to die because her mom does something wrong?

I say let's support IUD's for crack heads instead.

Just my .02 (don't want to debate my view, just putting it out there since the OP requested)

January 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I wouldn't support it at all... I don't want my tax dollars going to get rid of the the crack head's innocent baby, because she's a crack head! The baby deserves to die because her mom does something wrong?

Just my .02 (don't want to debate my view, just putting it out there since the OP requested)[/b]
First of all, if you don't want to debate your view, then don't post it on a debate board.

Now, to debate your view....
You would rather a child be born addicted to drugs, deformed, and/or physically/mentally handicapped? You would rather a baby born under these conditions, just to spite the "crackhead" (very sensitive, BTW). I am not condoning the actions of these women, but you need to realize that we are talking about ADDICTION.
Quote:
Addiction:
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.[/b]
It is not something that most people can just quit at the drop of a hat. It is something, that for many, takes months or years of intense rehabilitation and support. I not only shudder to think of the possible outcome of this child physically and developmentally, but also the possibility that this woman would be raising this child with her addiction.
IMO, if the woman decided that she is incapable of carrying on a pregnancy, clean and sober, then she should have the option available to a free abortion. I would prefer that such a choice is accompanied by support and a rehab program, or at least, free counseling services.

January 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just my .02 (don't want to debate my view, just putting it out there since the OP requested)[/b]
First of all, if you don't want to debate your view, then don't post it on a debate board.

Now, to debate your view....
You would rather a child be born addicted to drugs, deformed, and/or physically/mentally handicapped? You would rather a baby born under these conditions, just to spite the "crackhead" (very sensitive, BTW). I am not condoning the actions of these women, but you need to realize that we are talking about ADDICTION.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>Addiction:
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.[/b]
It is not something that most people can just quit at the drop of a hat. It is something, that for many, takes months or years of intense rehabilitation and support. I not only shudder to think of the possible outcome of this child physically and developmentally, but also the possibility that this woman would be raising this child with her addiction.
IMO, if the woman decided that she is incapable of carrying on a pregnancy, clean and sober, then she should have the option available to a free abortion. I would prefer that such a choice is accompanied by support and a rehab program, or at least, free counseling services.
[/b][/quote]
I just don't understand this arguement...because by saying this...I dunno...I equal it to "one shouldn't be allowed to live if they are handicapped". I know that probably isn't what you are saying...but essentially, it is the same thing. The fetus shouldn't live because it will POTENTIALLY be handicapped...so what's the difference?
[/b][/quote]
Honestly, Cece, I don't want to debate how you interpreted my meaning. If you want to read it as me saying that, "anyone with a potential handicap should be aborted", then fine. Nevermind the fact that I have a brother who is blind (a genetic disorder I may soon find out was passed on to my own son) and a cousin with CP. I do not disregard life, or believe it to have little or no value if the existence isn't perfect, but misread it that way if you wish. As I am sure you already know, my opinion on the matter goes far deeper than the possibility of imperfection, there is a lot at stake for this hypothetical woman and, especially, this hypothetical child. If I had a choice between a woman choosing to maintain her addiction during her pregnancy, and risk everything that goes with that type of recklessness, or to abort the child and save it the suffering (in utero and in life), I would rather her choose abortion.

January 26th, 2007, 04:23 AM
michelle5971's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to michelle5971 Send a message via Yahoo to michelle5971
I think abortions should be offered to addicts for free. I also feel they should be given counseling before they make their decision.

Brandon and Jordon's father is a drug addict "crackhead" as another poster stated. He is living with a woman who also uses on a regular basis. She lost her 3 children to foster care last May due to her drug use and she still hasn't gotten them back yet. CPS has taken away her supervised visitation because he is always testing positive for cocaine.
Christmas eve when my boys talked to their father on the phone, he doesn't see them, he told them that him and his girlfriend were going to have a baby boy in May. I would have to think CPS will take the baby from them when he's born if she hasn't gotten her other kids back by then.
I pray the little boy will be born healthy but he doesn't have a very good chance.

Loving wife to Jeff

Mom to Brian 19, Rachel 17, Brandon 9 and Jordon 7

Stepmom to Danielle 23, Dallas 14, and Jacob 10

January 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the people who suggested free IUDs or free Norplant, to addicts or people without healthcare access. Those are good for 5 or 10 years.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search