Birth Control

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM
chloe82
Now, I realize this is going to sound extreme, but hear me out on this one. I'm curious on other PL'ers views on this subject in particular....

I personally believe life begins at the moment of conception, and am strongly pro-life. I figured that when I got married I would go on the pill to prevent pregnancy. Shortly before I made that decision, however, someone close to me suggested I do some research as they had heard that the pill could stop a pregancy from progressing after conception. I did a lot of research and talked to a couple of doctors and found out, to sum up, that hormonal BC methods work in three main ways: 1. to prevent ovulation....if this happens, however, 2. to thicken cervical mucus to help prevent sperm from getting through, and if this still happens....3. to change the lining of the uterus so that if this first two methods should fail, the fertilized egg cannot implant.

When I found this out, i decided not to go on any form of hormonal BC. It was a personal decision that I struggled with at first, but now feel quite confident about. I didn't want to risk stopping a fertilized egg from developing without even knowing it. I realize its's a fairly extreme position, but I do know a few other PL-ers who have decided not to go on BC for this reason as well, but also know some PL-ers who knew the info and went on BC anyways, believing it was a highly unlikely scenario that it would happen and when it came down to it, felt it would occur early enough (and without their knowledge probably) that they didn't feel like it was wrong.

So I'm just curious....how many of you were aware of the other 2 back-up ways in which BC works, (I'm asking because I didn't know till I did some research, and when I asked my family doctor she looked at me like I was nuts and said, "No, it prevents ovulation...that's it." ......and for how many of you would that information potentially affect your views on using BC?

This isnt meant to be accusatory towards those who do use BC, btw, I realize we all have different views on where life begins, where we personally draw the line, etc, and Im not here to judge other people's opinions, so maybe this question is intended more for those who believe life begins at conception. Did anyone else on here make this choice for themselves as well? Again, just curious!!!
January 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
mrobinson
Honestly I've read this pov here before maybe a year ago. I think there are tons of gals that 100% agree with you. I personally went off BC for different reasons because don't see BC as healthy for women in general. I actually agree with you if someone is so 100% pro-life, they should get off BC for the reasons you listed. (See we can agree sometimes!)
January 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I'm not on hormonal bc because I have a higher risk of blood clots etc due to a heart condition so pregnancy in itself will be a challenge enough!
But To be honest I agree in general. But being pro choice of course I wouldn't stop anyone else taking it.
But Iíll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
But being pro choice of course I wouldn't stop anyone else taking it.[/b]

chloe82, I was wondering if you see every mentrual cycle as life lost? (A wasted egg?)
January 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
^ I don't personally believe anything as "life" until conception - so the egg (or a guy just whacking the beanpole) wouldn't be wasted life. IMO, anyway.

I agree with your view on BC, chloe, and we don't happen to use any hormonal types. Right now we chart and use condoms.

I'm not sure if I'm pro-life, however, because I think for the most part, people should make their own choices (finding religion sure does make you nice, doesn't it? lol). I believe life begins at conception, tho.
January 29th, 2007, 11:38 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read this in the packet that came with the pill when I used to be on it. It bothered me as well. However, my choice to go off the pill was for other reasons - mainly, why the heck should I be pumping my body full of drugs for the man's benefit. Let him wear a raincoat!

I will not use an IUD because of this we well.
January 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Veteran
I have never been on any form of hormonal birth controol. I fallow a very holistic life(vegan - alternitive medicine - don't take any drugs exc) path so I don't find the ingestion of forigen chemicles to be natural or healthy for the body. The prevention of pregnancy (especially sence there are other ways of doing this) is not enough incentive for me too risk my health and life. That being said most valid medical organizations state that pregnancy begins NOT at the time of fertilization but at the time of implantation. Most women's body's have or will disguard fertalized embro's that are prevented from implanting in thier life time. This is just as much a natural part of the functions of womens bodies as PG or child birth.....so I don't find anything wrong with the fact that some forms of bc have the potentiol to have the same effect.
January 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Quote:
I read this in the packet that came with the pill when I used to be on it. It bothered me as well. However, my choice to go off the pill was for other reasons - mainly, why the heck should I be pumping my body full of drugs for the man's benefit. Let him wear a raincoat!

I will not use an IUD because of this we well.[/b]
there are definatly greater risks to women taking hormonal bc - although I can see the attraction of being in control - its not like it stops you getting an STI.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
donomama
I totally agree with the OP. I took BC for a few years, but will never go back on it now that I know what I know. Same with and IUD.

Quote:
most valid medical organizations state that pregnancy begins NOT at the time of fertilization but at the time of implantation.[/b]
Can you supply us with some info that supports your claim?
January 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also won't take hormonal B/C for the reasons stated in the OP. I use to take it, though, before I knew the facts. I personally know that MOST people don't know about the 3rd method of prevention in B/C and many O/B doctors will actually deny that it even exists! That makes me SO mad! I think that I should have the right to choose how I will prevent pregnancy given ALL the facts. This just seems flat-out deceptive to me. Even if my O/B doesn't believe that life begins at conception, I DO, and I should have the right to know everything if I ask to know. If a fertilized egg that is a dividing cell is trying to implant into my uterus, I want no part of trying to prevent it from doing that.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:
But being pro choice of course I wouldn't stop anyone else taking it.[/b]

chloe82, I was wondering if you see every mentrual cycle as life lost? (A wasted egg?)
[/b]

No, I personally don't. I believe life begins at conception...when the egg is fertilized and all that DNA stuff starts happening.....haha, well put huh. I realiez there are people who do but I'm not one of them.
January 30th, 2007, 06:30 AM
chloe82
Quote:
I also won't take hormonal B/C for the reasons stated in the OP. I use to take it, though, before I knew the facts. I personally know that MOST people don't know about the 3rd method of prevention in B/C and many O/B doctors will actually deny that it even exists! That makes me SO mad! I think that I should have the right to choose how I will prevent pregnancy given ALL the facts. This just seems flat-out deceptive to me. Even if my O/B doesn't believe that life begins at conception, I DO, and I should have the right to know everything if I ask to know. If a fertilized egg that is a dividing cell is trying to implant into my uterus, I want no part of trying to prevent it from doing that.[/b]

Ditto. I was pretty irritated when I asked my family doctor up-front and she denied it and looked at me like I was nuts. I honestly am not sure if she even knew what I was talking about or just didn't bother to tell me because she thought it was a stupid concern. hm. I also find it annoying that almost every time I see a doctor and they ask if I'm on BC and I say no, they quickly jump to ask me if I would like to and look at me wierd when I say no. Seems overly pushed to me....well, in my experiences anyways. I also am not a fan of pumping my body with artificial hormones and all the possible health ramifications that could come of that, but that was not my main concern when i decided not to take it.
January 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Quote:
I also won't take hormonal B/C for the reasons stated in the OP. I use to take it, though, before I knew the facts. I personally know that MOST people don't know about the 3rd method of prevention in B/C and many O/B doctors will actually deny that it even exists! That makes me SO mad! I think that I should have the right to choose how I will prevent pregnancy given ALL the facts. This just seems flat-out deceptive to me. Even if my O/B doesn't believe that life begins at conception, I DO, and I should have the right to know everything if I ask to know. If a fertilized egg that is a dividing cell is trying to implant into my uterus, I want no part of trying to prevent it from doing that.[/b]
I agree with you!! all women should be given all the facts about birth control! I think its mad that we arn't - and your right a patient as a right to have her beliefs respected! and if that isn't happening something needs to change!
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

January 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM
irishxrose
I know the facts, and I still take BC. Why? Because I've had an unplanned pregnancy, and I will do everything in my power not to have another baby until I'm ready to....

But then again, I'm pro-choice and this question doesn't even apply to me...
January 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I totally understand that, Andrika....I was just saying let's get the truth out there and let everyone make an informed choice. I really feel like I deserved at least that.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 30th, 2007, 06:24 PM
irishxrose
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. The information does need to be out there. Honestly, I am surprised to hear that some OBs are keeping information from patients about birth control... my OB has always given me the information and let me make my choice. I'm sorry that yours misled you.
February 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM
becky_mommyof4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i totally believe that life starts at conception and when i was younger i didn't know that some BC stopped fertilization if i had than i would have never been on it as i am am prolife

I think BC maker really need to get the info on all bc

February 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Thank you, Andrika.....that was sweet of you to say.

~Stacey

February 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have taken BCP at times. I took it for medical reasons to stop ovulation because of cysts - so for me I KNOW it stopped the ovulations - hey specifically balanced me out to make sure that is what was occurring & then did u/s to confirm it. I didn't like it though - for the way it made me feel - but it was far better than lying on he floor doubled up in pain bawling for hours. I have used the rhythm method most of my adult life. I have to say though that the pill cured my cycle problems & I will be forever grateful for that. For too many years I suffered with cycles that were completely unpredictable (18 days, 32 days, 4 days, etc and af that would last at times as long as 18 days. My mom was paranoid that allowing me to go on the pill would make me feel free to have sex. Never mind the fact that she never had a cycle longer than 4 days. Anyway - I think the rhythm method is incredibly effective. It worked perfectly for us for 7 yrs, then I went back on the pill again for 3 more yrs for cysts - as they were worried about protecting my fertility & when I came off the pill I got pg right away without even trying. I think that shows I was plenty fertile before & was able to avoid pg by simply charting & getting to know my body. We didn't use condoms, we used timing. (I hate condoms).

And I do not ever think anyone sees an egg gone as a wasted life, I have never heard that said. An egg is not a baby - or even a potential baby by itself. It is simply half of an equation at that point. The only thing i have ever heard said is a missed opportunity- for those trying & feeling like they are running out of time.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search