banning the use of the word "murder"

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont want this post to sound like playing mod, but I was wondering what people would think if someday the use of the word "murder" was banned in this board.

Before the circumcision board was closed this morning, mutilation and amputation were banned as words used in the debate. I see why, they cause uproar.

so, what would you think of the word murder being taken out of this particular board as an attempt to do the same as taking out those words.
February 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I was wondering what people would think if someday the use of the word "murder" was banned in this board.[/b]
I wish it was.. I remember when I first came on to JM and would use the term fetus or quote anything that said fetus, people would jump all over that as being insenisitve, even after I explained that to me, fetus is the same love you would assign a baby. In respect to my debater's feelings, I started using <strike>fetus</strike> baby. About six months later, we had many women using the term murder so I felt if they didn't care about my feelings about using the term murder, I was done respecting their wish of using the term fetus.
February 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I kinda meant in a way that, even if you think the word to be true (like some may think about the two words used in the example), would you agree to banning that word to keep the peace and not cause problems.
February 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I think it's a heated word and meant to sting. I think people can get their point across without using the word murder. I think it would be a welcome change.

February 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Fetus Iis a word I would always use. But I know that I am more likely to throw out "clump" of cells when I get frustrated.

I think after what happened in the other board and after thinking about the term murder even more, I would support not throwing out "clump" of cells as well. (something i will consciously stay away from doing to the best of my ability now)
February 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess I should answer this since you and I just came off another debate using the word "murder".

I don't know how I feel about JM banning the word. Obviously, if the forum bans it, I will abide by that. I never attempt to hurt anyone by the words that I choose to use. They are my personal beliefs. I don't know. It seems like people who aren't against abortion would want it banned only because they don't agree that it is murder.

After thinking about it a little longer, I would support not using the word anymore. I can see why it would hurt those who have had an abortion and are uneasy with their decision. Doesn't change my views on the subject though.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
February 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
And to throw something else in the mix...

I am not offended by the term "fetus"!

February 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think using the word zygote or some other terms I cant quite think of at the moment would be fine in place of clump of cells. An explanation of a zygote or other stages of early fetal development could be done without using "clump/ball/heap/whatever of cells"

I think fetus is a good word both becuae of its scientific accuracy (and agreed upon by everyone in the profession- unlike some of the words in the OP example) but also becuae any alternatives I can think of would be potentially far more anger causing. I don't agree that it is a "baby" but fetus allows me to be neutral and not say something that would be akin to "nonthinking, living off mother, body" etcetc.
February 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
After thinking about it a little longer, I would support not using the word anymore. I can see why it would hurt those who have had an abortion and are uneasy with their decision.[/b]
I know you see a fetus as a life, therefore why you feel it's murder.. While I am glad to you have movement on using the term, to me, why murder is offensive is because it's saying it's murdering a person.. Many people, don't feel it's a person. (I know you do, as do a few others here.) Because to many people it's not a person, it's not murder. So using the term is riduclous to those who don't see it the way you do.

Quote:
I hate the word fetus it is a cold and unfeeling word.[/b]
I respect you feel that way. Many people have been purposely taught that. I have the same feelings towards my fetus, as I would being pregnant with a "baby." To me, it's not a negative term but a perfect way to describe what can't be on it's own yet.
February 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also think staying away from terms like clump/heap of cells and murder may bring more people to this debate (i know the words in the op kept people away from that other board)
February 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I also think staying away from terms like clump/heap of cells and murder may bring more people to this debate (i know the words in the op kept people away from that other board)[/b]
it's so true. That peace time I was referring to in my first post was wonderful because I learnt so much from the pro-life camp.
February 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I also don't like the word parasite.[/b]
Not to mention it isn't even scientifically accurate....well, it's at least debatable in the area of accuracy.
February 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Quote:
After thinking about it a little longer, I would support not using the word anymore. I can see why it would hurt those who have had an abortion and are uneasy with their decision.[/b]
I know you see a fetus as a life, therefore why you feel it's murder.. While I am glad to you have movement on using the term, to me, why murder is offensive is because it's saying it's murdering a person.. Many people, don't feel it's a person. (I know you do, as do a few others here.) Because to many people it's not a person, it's not murder. So using the term is riduclous to those who don't see it the way you do. [/b]
I understand your point of view, mrobinson. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, darn, one of these days I will figure out how to quote someone!!

February 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
remember you alwyas have to end with [/quote]
February 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Got it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search