different words/phrases to talk about not using anymore

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Please list and explain any words or phrases you would like to discuss the possibility of coming to an agreement about using/not using anymore.
February 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I will start by saying I oppose using the word murder in reference to abortion.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

February 14th, 2007, 04:28 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Okay, I will start by saying I oppose using the word murder in reference to abortion.[/b]
I second that.
February 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I will start by saying I oppose using the word murder in reference to abortion.[/b]
I second that.
[/b]
ditto.

I suggest 'parasite' and 'clump of cells'.
February 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I'm opposed to any banning of any words unless the person's trying to be blatently offensive. Seriously. It doesn't bother me in one bit (I guess I'm pro-choice bordering on pro-life...I *do* believe abortion is murder) if someone calls a baby and/or fetus a "clump of cells"...it's a debate!!
February 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Veteran
I'm opposed to banning words as well. It will just confuse everyone. People rotate through here too frequently. I'd forget which words were no longer accepted and offend people. New people would come over and say the wrong word and get attacked.
February 15th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Quote:
How do you know it isnt murder though?
[/b]
Because murder is illegal. Abortion is not.

February 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't agree that abortion is murder,
a baby is a group of cells,
a fetus is a parasite,
etc...
However, I would never endorse banning the words. I think that we deserve free speach and the choice of words one uses in these debates says a lot about the degree to which they support their ideas.
February 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
The debate is really not about whether it is murder or not. I support not using words that cause others to shut down & quit listening & I am all for debating intelligently on any issue. Some words, as we all know, are just meant to be inflammatory (not just in this debate - but in general) & do nothing to further understanding or encourage others to listen to the whole message. I believe that if you have something intelligent & passionate to say then you don't have to rely on inflammatory terms in order to make your point & it only serves to sling mud & upset people.

I also oppose clump of cells, etc...and many others. I think here we aren't so much talking of a ban (although some may be) it is a mutual agreement of respecting that people from both sides have terms & words that they find distasteful & inflammatory & perhaps if we agree to leave those terms out we can argue the issues rather than the rhetoric.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

February 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
The debate is really not about whether it is murder or not. I support not using words that cause others to shut down & quit listening & I am all for debating intelligently on any issue. Some words, as we all know, are just meant to be inflammatory (not just in this debate - but in general) & do nothing to further understanding or encourage others to listen to the whole message. I believe that if you have something intelligent & passionate to say then you don't have to rely on inflammatory terms in order to make your point & it only serves to sling mud & upset people.

I also oppose clump of cells, etc...and many others. I think here we aren't so much talking of a ban (although some may be) it is a mutual agreement of respecting that people from both sides have terms & words that they find distasteful & inflammatory & perhaps if we agree to leave those terms out we can argue the issues rather than the rhetoric.
[/b]
Perfectly said.. I feel that so many people just post "it's murder" without anything else intelligent to say. I would love to get past that.
February 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(butter ball @ Feb 15 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
[/b]

[/b]
Perfectly said.. I feel that so many people just post "it's murder" without anything else intelligent to say. I would love to get past that.
[/b][/quote]
I don't think it's "unintelligent" to feel that it is murder. But it can be hurtful (intentional or not), and that's why I think it should be banned.
[/b][/quote]
If you re read what I said, not only do they say it's murder but add nothing else to the debate.
February 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
So it isn't that saying "murder" is unintelligent, but that just making a statement and not offering anything else to that statement (whatever that statement may be), is unintelligent? (Oh, and I was referring to both you and Beckie's quotes about the unintelligent thing). [/b]
IMO, someone jumping into a debate and stating, only, "abortion is murder", is inflammatory. There is nothing intelligent to back up the opinion, they offer nothing supportive or any reason as to "why" they feel this way. It seems to serve only to raise peoples hackles, offend and be hurtful.

When you give your position it is accompanied with your reasoning on the matter. You state your feelings and opinions that lead you to the conclusion. I don't necessarily view the word as any less hurtful in that context (to those who have gone through it), but it is at least supported with your personal emotions on the subject.

February 16th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrobinson @ Feb 15 2007, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(butter ball @ Feb 15 2007, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
[/b]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]
I don't think it's "unintelligent" to feel that it is murder. But it can be hurtful (intentional or not), and that's why I think it should be banned.
[/b][/quote]
If you re read what I said, not only do they say it's murder but add nothing else to the debate.
[/b][/quote]
So it isn't that saying "murder" is unintelligent, but that just making a statement and not offering anything else to that statement (whatever that statement may be), is unintelligent? (Oh, and I was referring to both you and Beckie's quotes about the unintelligent thing).
[/b][/quote]
I never said it was unintelligent. I guess what I have to say is this....any time someone has any intelligent argument to make about any subject - there is no need to use inflammatory words (or words you know will likely be taken as inflammatory) just to get your point across. An intelligent argument doesn't rely on any one word being available to them in order to debate it - because what you are debating is supposed to be topics & issues. If I know ahead of time that a word I am choosing to use is inflammatory to the "opposing" side (for lack of a better term) and if I know ANYTHING about psychology - it would be intelligent of me to choose to word things differently if my INTENT is to be listened to. It is difficult to be taken as intelligent if all a person does is rile people up...then they are seen as an instigator instead of getting any message across at all. Actual intelligence is in strategy & ability for one to look at the whole picture, decide what they want the outcome to be & work from that perspective. If you want others to listen, then you have to make what you are saying palatable to them. If your intent is to rant & have no one listen - I guess it would be "intelligent" in that instance to choose to use inflammatory speech. I am not sure if I am explaining it adequately. I guess my thinking is most people actually want to be heard if they post or why bother posting & if you want to be heard & taken seriously - then you must be able to argue the points of the issue without resorting to using words that are known to be offensive.

I guess this goes back to why I don't swear - I have a large vocabulary & when I start throwing in words like S***, etc & stop using my vocab - people start thinking I don't know enough words to speak intelligently. Of course I don't loose intelligence when I speak that way - I simply loose the appearance of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search