A True Story...

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Quote:
Quote:
Would you seriously have bought one of your babies into the world knowing the time they spent alive would be pain filled and unbearable for them? To me thats NO quality of life.[/b]
Ellie, there are medications that can be administered to alleviate pain for "the living". Unfortunately, babies (until what is "currently" accepted as "sentience" by SOME doctors), inutero don't have this option (administered pain medication).
[/b]
You'd let your baby suffer in huge amounts of pain because your too proud to accept that an abortion might end their suffering?
Thats EXACTLY how it sounds.
But Iíll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Would you seriously have bought one of your babies into the world knowing the time they spent alive would be pain filled and unbearable for them? To me thats NO quality of life.[/b]
Ellie, there are medications that can be administered to alleviate pain for "the living". Unfortunately, babies (until what is "currently" accepted as "sentience" by SOME doctors), inutero don't have this option (administered pain medication).
[/b]
You'd let your baby suffer in huge amounts of pain because your too proud to accept that an abortion might end their suffering? (assuming your doctor would not administer pain relief)
Thats EXACTLY how it sounds.
[/b]
You said some doctors won't administer it. If you knew your doctor would not give your baby pain relief would you still have the baby. And if you look i said assumnig they wont.

Also that post was very patronising im very aware what pain relief is. It seems you didn't read my post.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I truly believe that babies have souls, and I truly believe that they are able to experience. With pain medication, I do believe there is quality, and even if there is not, we are not to decide for them (the babies) what is and what isn't.[/b]
So you think there is a quality to life for an infant that must have pain medication to endure its survival? I know when my Pappaw was dying of Cancer and had to have morphine just to get through the last few months of his survival, again it was not living, there was no quality to his existance. We couldn't even hug him because the Cancer had spread so much that the slightest movement put him in excruciating agony. The last few months of his life consisted of laying in bed, hooked to a morphine pump, just trying to get through it, and praying for death. He could not bathe himself, he could not go to the bathroom, he could hardly move. The pain medications gave him no quality to his life, they helped numb him just enough to sleep through what was left in his time on earth.
Quote:
Some may say "well who are YOU to decide what a pregnant woman must go through (emotionally, spritiually, physically, etc.) in pregnancy?". My answer: I find it much different to decide that someone has a right to life indefinitely (as in the case of outlawing abortion...giving the right to life to the baby), in comparison to the right to death indefinitely (as in the case of legal abortion). So that's my answer! lol.[/b]
I really don't understand what you mean, at all.

February 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I just spoke to my mum. I asked her that if she discovered while pregnant with me that I would be born with an illness that would mean I would only live for a few hours and those few hours would be spent with me being in agonising pain what would she do? Keep me and let me be born in pain or terminate the pregnancy?

My mother loves me. But she without question would have terminated her pregnancy. She said to me "It was bad enough when you were born and you were in pain but it could be fixed and you coud then have a normal life, but if I knew you would have no quality of life that you would be in such pain then I could not have brought you into this world. To me that would have been selfish and wrong. I have no right to make you suffer.

She then went on to say how obsessed everyone is over right and wrong when really its down to the individual. Look at how many starving orphaned children there are in the world already? How many kids are in care and unwanted by their parents? Thats no quality of life. People need to look after the people already here before they even contemplate bringing more unwanted children into the world. Its just not fair on them.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
my answer is in the above post. I think its cruel to drag out a life that has no quaity to it. especially seeing is that pain would be inside the womb also.

I read it perfectly but the pain felt would be inside the womb too and if they cant administer pain relife to the baby inside the womb then that baby is living in agony.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM
If the baby has something wrong with it beyond breathing eating etc then the pain can be felt by the baby in the womb.
I agree with my mother.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Quote:
If the baby has something wrong with it beyond breathing eating etc then the pain can be felt by the baby in the womb.
I agree with my mother.[/b]
Are you saying the less serious medical problems should be aborted? The most serious birth defects (IMO) would be those associated with the vital areas of living, i.e. breathing, eating, etc. The less serious would be things like Down's, cleft palate, etc. Should these abnormalities be aborted because they do not involve pain with breathing, eating, etc.???? I am not even sure if they DO experience pain with these abnormalities while inutero (though I am sure they don't with the serious abnormalities involving breathing, eating, etc. It would cause pain in those incidents, because the mother provides for these functions).
[/b]
A child that has a condition that can be treated and that will mean the child has a good quality of life then no. I had a "birth defect" and I was "fixed" and i have lived a "normal" life. If they are going to die because of the condition and be in pain then I think this is an instance where I would have to abort... I couldn't live knowing my child was in constant agony inside me and that I couldn't relive the pain. Even if they didn't I still would abort. I wouldn't risk them being in pain because the medication didn't work for whatever reason. To ME is would be protecting my child from the pain. Of course I wouldn' terminate a healthy child (or a child with a condition that is livable).

Downs comes in different severities and if the condition was proved to be at a level that was unmanagable then I would abort.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The less serious would be things like Down's, cleft palate, etc[/b]
I personally think dowsn is far more serious than you contend:

Quote:
While some kids with DS have no other health problems, others may experience a host of medical issues that require extra care. For example, half of all children born with DS also have congenital heart defects and are prone to developing pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs). A pediatric cardiologist can monitor these types of problems, many of which can be treated with medication or surgery.

Approximately half of all kids with DS also have problems with hearing and vision. Hearing loss can be related to fluid buildup in the inner ear or to structural problems of the ear itself. Vision problems commonly include amblyopia (lazy eye), near- or farsightedness, and an increased risk of cataracts. Regular evaluations by an audiologist and an ophthalmologist are necessary to detect and correct any problems before they affect a child's language and learning skills.

Other medical conditions that may occur more frequently in children with DS include thyroid problems, intestinal abnormalities, seizure disorders, respiratory problems, obesity, an increased susceptibility to infection, and a higher risk of childhood leukemia. Fortunately, many of these conditions are treatable.[/b]
these might be treatable, but i know i cannot be the only here who knows of one or more DS babies that died very young due to their condition.

This idea of what is serious to one person is not to another is a big issue in the abortion debate. Who am I to say what is "serious" and what isn't wehen it comes to things like this.
February 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
And mostly a DS baby will never be able to live by themselves. They will always need help. - not that this is a reason to abort them but it does make life alot harder.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search