A question for pro-choicers

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
this will be the third time ive said that although to me a babys life is equal to me thats MY choice. To everyone else its different so i will have to say a babys life is not as important as the mothers.
But Iíll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
kadydid
We are not this black and white pro-choicers vary from, thinking itís as life at conception to do not see it as a separate being until after the birth. The thing that we agree on is that it should be up for the woman to decide because it is her life that is affected.

I like most people would like to see the number of late term abortions reduced for the mother and the fetus. But I donít believe most are done on a whim.

But if I am going to get up in arms about most abortions (most happen in the first trimester) even though I personally see the embryo/fetus as some kind of a life (importance varying from person to person) I would be hypocritical not to get up in arms about most forms of birth control. They are basically doing the same thing except for with BC it probably happens more, only we do not know about it. And it would be grossly irresponsible to even suggest that we take away a womanís right to birth control.

More importantly to meÖ

I think when people have multiple abortions (using it as birth control) there is a bigger problem. I think the abortion is the result not the problem. How many times have you seen/known a woman who had really bad teeth? So bad that some where missing and the ones she had were rotting out of her head. Are her teeth falling out of her head because she was too lazy to brush her teeth, or is because there is a bigger problem, that we can not see?

My guess is there is something we are not seeing.

Most times I do not believe abortion is the problem, I think it is the result of a bigger problem. Those problems are what I would like to relieve. I think when you take away those problems the rest will come in place, and the world would be a much nicer place for it. Although I seriously doubt any of that will happen in this country any time soon, because of peopleís sexual morals and many peopleís views on social programs.
February 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
We are not this black and white pro-choicers vary from, thinking itís as life at conception to do not see it as a separate being until after the birth. The thing that we agree on is that it should be up for the woman to decide because it is her life that is affected.

I like most people would like to see the number of late term abortions reduced for the mother and the fetus. But I donít believe most are done on a whim.

But if I am going to get up in arms about most abortions (most happen in the first trimester) even though I personally see the embryo/fetus as some kind of a life (importance varying from person to person) I would be hypocritical not to get up in arms about most forms of birth control. They are basically doing the same thing except for with BC it probably happens more, only we do not know about it. And it would be grossly irresponsible to even suggest that we take away a womanís right to birth control.

More importantly to meÖ

I think when people have multiple abortions (using it as birth control) there is a bigger problem. I think the abortion is the result not the problem. How many times have you seen/known a woman who had really bad teeth? So bad that some where missing and the ones she had were rotting out of her head. Are her teeth falling out of her head because she was too lazy to brush her teeth, or is because there is a bigger problem, that we can not see?

My guess is there is something we are not seeing.

Most times I do not believe abortion is the problem, I think it is the result of a bigger problem. Those problems are what I would like to relieve. I think when you take away those problems the rest will come in place, and the world would be a much nicer place for it. Although I seriously doubt any of that will happen in this country any time soon, because of peopleís sexual morals and many peopleís views on social programs.[/b]

March 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
TracyScott's Avatar Member
I am pro-choice. I have had abortions. For reasons that are my own. If for some insane reason they outlawed them, it think it would be horrible. Women would find a way to get it done. Women get pregnant for a variety of reasons, not all of them are ones we'd like to think about. (Rape being the main example).

That being said, I think the fetus is alive and I think it's very sad when an abortion happens BUT I 100% agree that it is the right of the woman to decide what is right and what isn't in her situation.

Happy Holidays, love Alexa, Luci, Lola & Gage
March 24th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
why would you care how many abortions are done? Why would it matter if women use abortion as birth control and have a couple every year?[/b]
1. Abortion is a surgical prosedure and does have risks to the woman, however less then birth.
2. Trama and guilt are also another risk factor, like childbirth, it's not experianced by all but some.
3. Scaring can case infertillity.
4. I think it shows how uneducated about being able to protect ourselfs when having sex
5. Redusing abortions and unplanned pregnancy may reduse STD's
6. Redusing unplanned pregnancy may reduse child abuse ( YES even 'planned' children are abused
7. It would reduse the numer of children born.

March 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
1. Abortion is a surgical prosedure and does have risks to the woman, however less then birth.[/b]
Where did you find statistics on this?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Veteran
Quote:
abortion is a risk. You can have hemorrhaging after. You are under general anesthesia, lots can happen.[/b]
Is it common practice in the States to put women under general anesthesia for an abortion? Here they only use local anesthesia and a mild sedative (like laughing gas).
March 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Veteran
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
1. Abortion is a surgical prosedure and does have risks to the woman, however less then birth.[/b]
Where did you find statistics on this?
[/b][/quote]

Guttmacher institute

Under 'safety of abortion'
March 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
CDC 1999 lates I could find:
maternal deathes
abortion: 4 per 100,000 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...12a1.htm#tab19
Birth:9.9 per 100,000 http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_03/sr03_033.pdf

you can't tell me CDC's biased and even they say your over twices as likely to die giving birth atleast in 1999. If anyone can find a later one that comes from an unbiased source I'd apressiate it.

March 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

abortion is a risk. You can have hemorrhaging after. You are under general anesthesia, lots can happen.[/b]
Is it common practice in the States to put women under general anesthesia for an abortion? Here they only use local anesthesia and a mild sedative (like laughing gas).
[/b]
sorry I meant local. You can still have a reaction to it.
[/b]
aha!
I wasn't saying that local anasthetic is without its dangers, simply that a general anasthesia was uncommon in Quebec for an abortion procedure.
March 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
CDC 1999 lates I could find:
maternal deathes
abortion: 4 per 100,000 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...12a1.htm#tab19
Birth:9.9 per 100,000 http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_03/sr03_033.pdf

you can't tell me CDC's biased and even they say your over twices as likely to die giving birth atleast in 1999. If anyone can find a later one that comes from an unbiased source I'd apressiate it.[/b]
Thank you for answering my question.... No need to presume I'm going to call the CDC biased.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
sry. I think I was a little agervated because I couldn't find any more resent

April 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
And increase the availability of birth control options, especially to women without insurance coverage.[/b]
I am with you on this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search