The evolution of your beliefs about abortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Tell us about how your current beliefs concerning the issue of abortion evolved. (debate of these is ok, I meant for this to be a "this is how I got there" thread but also a debate)
February 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am pro-life.

I must have been around 10 years old. We were in the living room and I just so happened to find a poem in a drawer. I am sure you have all heard of it. It was an unborn baby talking about how he/she was developing.. Then the baby is aborted. My mom explained to me what had happened. My mom told me that abortion was not an option. She told me that if ever I were in a situation where I was pregnant, that I should always feel that I could come to her and my dad and that they would help me, no matter what kind of situation I was in.

When I was 20 years old and still living at home (unmarried), I became pregnant with my now husband's baby. I thank her everyday for having that talk with me when I was younger. My husband and I now have two children together.

So, my parents have a lot to do with my beliefs on the subject. My husband, on the other hand, is pro-choice... makes for some nice debates on long car trips!

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
February 19th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I grew up very Catholic in a catholic country where abortion was illegal (and still is except in certain situations). So growing up I always saw abortion as a bad thing. There was no context for debate about legal abortions because feelings on the issue were so one sided in the country.

I lived briefly in Ecuador and Brazil and a few months in Argentina but these were all basically the same on the issue. I met my husband and he was prochoice. We were both moving away from the faith we had grown up with.

My husband was born in a remote area of Brazil; he was adopted, and, according to him "very lucky." His mother was still breastfeeding his brother so he even got breastmilk. But his "success story" didn't change his mind on the issue. He believes that the state of abortion laws in Brazil have made orphanages what they are. Also he takes issue with all of the illegal abortions in his country.

So his experience changed my views a lot and made me question a lot. It was a kind of awakening for me.

We went to Denmark following his job and were there a while. We become much more liberal

We then came to the USA and had our children. The abortion debate was big here (and still is). I came down on the side of prochoice. Being a member here at JM solidified that. I have read stories from those who made the choice but also those who have said "I would get an abortion if I got pregnant right now" and I understand their reasons of having another child to look out for right now, trying to get their life together, or being just not ready for a child.

I read a lot on the issue and learned about different arguments and philosophies reguarding life, pain, sentience, potential, and also a lot about the health risks of pregnancy and fetal abnormalities. All of this just made me more prochoice.

So that is where I am today, prochoice.
February 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I'm pro-choice, but honestly can't tell you how I "got here". I guess I'm just a believer in what you do with your body and your life is none of my business. It's not hurting me any so I don't care. I also grew up Catholic. To me...that hasn't done anything to shape my beliefs about abortion. I think it has made me think of it as a baby from conception though.

Also...I don't do well being told what I can and can't do. I'm kinda spiteful that way.

February 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
There are two sides to this for me, my beliefs regarding abortion and my beliefs regarding choice.

To me, when it comes to whether or not there should be a choice, I have always felt the same way: everyone deserves the opportunity to make their own decision, in the end. It is good to be educated, to have access to different points of view and beliefs, but it should always be your own decision. I was raised by my parents to be very open minded and accepting of people. This falls to religion, it falls to sexual orientation, it falls to all personal choices. It's never occured to me to restrict someone else's choice, and I hate when people try to force their beliefs on me, even if I agree with their beliefs!

So, that being said, I am pro-choice. However, I am adamant about not being pro-abortion.

My beliefs regarding abortion itself - not the ability to choose whether or not to get an abortion - have also followed me through life. When I was around kindergarten age, my parents sat me down and shared with me the fact that I was adopted. We went through what all that meant in young terms at the time, and they also offered me my personal file that they were provided with. It included things like family medical history, etc, and this included the fact that I was the fifth pregnancy but only the first birth that my mother had; the other four were aborted. Being such a successful, happy adoption, and having this amazing chance at life that the other 4 didn't have, I am a strong advocate of others who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy following the example my birth mother eventually set. I will not pressure them, but I do try to make it a clear option and suggest it in case it is not something they had considered. My opinions on abortion were reaffirmed when I went through my own pregnancy, and I got to experience the miracle that occured within me as my son grew; I can't consider ever ending what I belief to be a life, even though I accept that not everyone agrees with me.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
February 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
I have always been pro-choice because I've never seen it as my right to tell anyone what they can and cannot do with their body. As I have debated here its not changed just strengthend. I don't agree with abortion but it is certainly the lesser of two evils (i.e. the loss of two lives) so I'm jsut Pro Education and Pro support. The more I'm here the more I see it.
But I値l be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Because others dont feel that way and it isn't my place to stop them.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Not really because someone else action doesn't affect me. Their choice doesn't affect me.
So i CHOOSE not to have one because *I* don't agree with it. But if Jane down the road got pregnant and decided to abort, it doesn't affect me and so its not my problem. Having said that I wouldn't want to know Jane down the road used a coathanger to abort her child and then died, because I ran around telling everyone my opinion and forcing it down their throats so that abortion is made illegal.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I believe in some laws. It comes down to where you believe the law has a right to dictate your choices. I believe a fetus is a life, but not a fully developed one, and as much a miracle my pregnancy was, I would not force that upon anyone else.

I also am a realist and know abortions will happen. When presented with the choice of a safe abortion where only one life is lost, or a "home abortion" where quite feasibly both could be...I would rather only one be lost. That doesn't mean I think any should be lost, but I also don't think any lives should have been lost on the plane in 9/11 where the passengers fought back and prevented the hijacker from reaching his destination. But I think the best of the viable solutions - those on the plane die or those on the plane and those at the target die - was the better of the two.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
February 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Not really because someone else action doesn't affect me. Their choice doesn't affect me.
So i CHOOSE not to have one because *I* don't agree with it. But if Jane down the road got pregnant and decided to abort, it doesn't affect me and so its not my problem. Having said that I wouldn't want to know Jane down the road used a coathanger to abort her child and then died, because I ran around telling everyone my opinion and forcing it down their throats so that abortion is made illegal.[/b]
You can't possibly believe that a baby inutero is truly living then....if it is something so trivial as "it isn't my problem" in regards to the death of a child....I just can't see someone saying it so nonchalantly if they truly believed the fetus is a fully fledged living being.
[/b]
Thats like saying I dont believe my angels died. Which they did they stopped living. To me life begins at conception. But to many it doesnt which is why I can say it isn't my problem. Because it isn't. Its up to the individual woman to make her choice. And her choice is her choice NOT MINE.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
of course that would be my problem i could be hit by a drunk driver or be involved in a crash with a drunk driver.
I can in no way be harmed by someone elses abortion.

No not at all. I believe abortion is a parenting choice (one i would rarely take). I wouldn't have one without believing my child would have NO quality of life or perhaps if I was raped ( still unsure on this). I wouldnt have one as birth control thus I am not giving up my integrity.
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So I guess I was raised pro-choice from the get go. My Family believes in abortion to 3 month or 5 month if they don't know before then. Miguel was planned when I finally got pregnant (more then just two-four week) It was he!!.

With hormones I was completly laid out, I couldn't get up or really functoin because of dissness and vomiting. I could not walk. I was told that I was having a completly normal healthy pregnancy. My husband had to quit his job to help. After a couple of months I really started to gain a LOT of weight. I didn't handle that well. I was having great pain when eating and troble breathing. I was told it was just gas from being pregnant. My feet where so swelled I couldn't wear shoes. Through my whole pregnancy I wished I didn't have to go through all this to bring our child in to the world. At about 36 weeks I wished he would die. My husband found me in fetal positon. The baby had stoped moving for over 8 hours. We went to the hospital and he was just sleeping. Till thirty nine weeks I was extreamly depressed.

At 39 weeks I went to a normal check up and was rushed to the hospital for pre-clamsia. I was still well over convoltion range even after meds. I was throwing up blood and my cathiter was filling with blood.They took me for an emergency c-section. On the operating table I realized I'm about to die and it took all my energy not to just flip. I was put to sleep when my husband had to leave. I had 4 bags of blood transfered into me. I was still on magnessium.

I was able to breast feed on it but when I was going to be discarged they had to change it to a med that I couldn't breast feed. I had to take meds every 4 hours including when I was sleeping or I could die. I went through server PPD where if not for my husband I wouldn't have my son. I would have given him up. I was told that I resived hepitities C from the blood transfetion and had to go to the hospitail that day. I would have already exposed both my husband and son to the desaise. Luckly It was just a gallstone.

I didn't really and don't really see babies as much more then animals for the first couple of months. I don't know exactly when it changes for me but it does. With the way my pregnancy went and meeting people that didn't know they were pregnant until they were six months. Knowing people who had abortions at 8 month because it was the best choice for them. Knowing birth control can not be taken by several people. I fully souport abortion up throw birth. I do feel that early induction should be allowed if mother is willing to put child up for adoption.

February 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM
donomama
I have always been pro-life. My whole life, I have believed that life starts at conception. I realize that some women see abortion rights as the reproductive rights of the mother. I see it as killing an innocent baby. I view it as no different than killing a child that has already been born. I became even more so when my youngest sister got pregnant, unmarried, at 17. I don't know if she ever really considered abortion, but there were people that tried to pressure her into it, tried to convince her that it would be the best option for her. Instead, she gave her beautiful baby to a loving family that adopted her. I see pictures and letters about that little girl every now and then, and it makes me so sad to think about all the unwanted babies, like her, that could have been given the chance that she has been given.
February 19th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I didn't really and don't really see babies as much more then animals for the first couple of months. I don't know exactly when it changes for me but it does. With the way my pregnancy went and meeting people that didn't know they were pregnant until they were six months. Knowing people who had abortions at 8 month because it was the best choice for them. Knowing birth control can not be taken by several people. I fully souport abortion up throw birth. I do feel that early induction should be allowed if mother is willing to put child up for adoption.[/b]
I have always found your posts on this to be interesting because, while I have read about arguments like yours in books, papers, and journals, I have never actually encountered someone with this kind of prochoice argument.

When you say it should be allowed "through birth," exactly what does that mean? Once the child has completely exited the birth canal and is outside the mother's body, what are your thoughts then?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search