North Carolina Fetus Law

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think they are fine as long as they stay away from the larger murder charges. A crime that kills a fetus takes away a mother's right to choose. It robs her of the potential child and all of the hopes and dreams tied into that, which includes everything that went into conceiving the fetus, carrying the fetus for X months, and all future plans.

If someone chopped off your leg, you would hopefully receive pain and suffering payment for everything you would have lost beyond just the leg (ability to walk, maybe you would need to find a new job, etcetc). The fetus is the same way, the family should be paid for the thigns lost. but, there is another angle to it in that one of the things lost is a potential child.

Thus, I agree with some type of charge under the law for killing some else's fetus. I do not agree it should be murder. HOWEVER, right now lesser murder charges look to be the only place it fits. Hopefully someday they will create a new catgory of charges like some states have which are specifically seen as "fetal death" and not connected to the murder category.
February 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think its too slippery a slope.

February 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the proposed law is a great idea.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
February 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think its too slippery a slope. [/b]
February 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's sad that it has slippery slope potential. It's sad that there are groups salivating for laws like this just so that they can use them to springboard a "fetus right to life" onslaught to the judiciary.
February 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is sad too that it is seen as a slippery slope. I know someone who lost their baby after a car accident & she should have been compensated in some way for what happened.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

February 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
How could it possibly NOT be seen as a slippery slope though? Either the fetus has rights, or it doesn't. You can't say, really, it's not OK to unintentionally end the life of a fetus via drunk driving accident or whatever and throw the criminal in jail, but at the same time say it's OK to intentionally end the life of a fetus via abortion.

Compensation for the ends of hopes and dreams (for lack of a better term), okay. Additional years in prison for the murder of an unborn child? Not unless they want to rule that abortions are illegal, too.
February 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
How could it possibly NOT be seen as a slippery slope though? Either the fetus has rights, or it doesn't. You can't say, really, it's not OK to unintentionally end the life of a fetus via drunk driving accident or whatever and throw the criminal in jail, but at the same time say it's OK to intentionally end the life of a fetus via abortion.

Compensation for the ends of hopes and dreams (for lack of a better term), okay. Additional years in prison for the murder of an unborn child? Not unless they want to rule that abortions are illegal, too.[/b]

You cut off your own leg, no penalty or damage rewards for you. You cut off someone else's leg, jail time and lots of cash goes from you to them. It should be the same idea, IMO. It should be a crime to kill someone else's fetus (as it is a crime to cut off another's leg) but it should not be seen as murder. You should get additional years if you kill mother (for murder) and fetus (add on years for whatever category fetal protection falls under...perhaps it would be assault and you get extra years for that). But seeing as though there is father who has lost as well as the mother it would probably need its own category (fetsal death or something) then go from there.

Thus, you aren't being punished because you took the life of someone who had the right to life, but, rather, for the violence, taking of choice, and loss of everything the fetus meant (just as a leg means the ability to walk, the ability to play certain sports, the ability to walk up the stairs, whatever).
February 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Veteran
All for it. What a sad story..

And way to go NC!! Born and raised North Carolinian here
February 25th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
At first, I though "why is this a slippy slope", but I see it now.

In order to press charges, as in this case a drunk driver causing an accident that ended the pregnancy, the court would have to admit that the unborn child has rights. And reguardless of how it is classified, it'd also tie into abortion. With abortion, the women would essentially be both sides [the vitcim and the person who commited the crime].

If they were to pass a law making abortions int he same group, the jail would be full of people who had abortions, and what good is that going to go. I also live in NC, and there was an article in the paper this week about overcrowded jails. Sorry, I want to see the drink driver, and malicious killers, etc in jail.

But yes, the drunk driver should have to pay or do something. Just they should be 2 totally different groups [abortion vs ending a pg against one's wishes]
February 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
mrobinson
The mother did not choose to abort this fetus. This was not her decision. Someone caused bodily harm on her, causing a miscarriage. To me, there is no slippery slope.
February 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The mother did not choose to abort this fetus. This was not her decision. Someone caused bodily harm on her, causing a miscarriage. To me, there is no slippery slope.[/b]
I agree & I think it actually supports pro-choice...meaning it holds someone else responsible for ending a pg of a woman that did NOT choose whether it was unintentional or purposeful. I am not sure how to explain that.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search