illegal abortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2007, 05:31 AM
first_time_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i live in Ireland where abortion is illegal. the consitution of our free state states that a woman cannot get an abortion on the island of Ireland (north or south)
This has been contested and put to refferendum and the outcome was that the majority of people were still against abortion.
Yet there are prolife campaigners on our streets almost every weekend handing out graphic pictures and prolife literature.
Do you agree with this? What are your views on the economic problems thiis faces?

Robyn, wife to Steven, mom to Jake (7th Aug 2007)
March 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds a lot like places in Central and South America (except many of them, unlike Ireland, make it illegal or legistically impossible to get an abortion even if you were raped or the victim of incest).

I don't know what your press and speech rights are like, but I don't like the graphic material as an American because I feel it infringes on other's rights and has a tendency to be full of lies (here in the states we have seen that a lot of these "dead babies" turn out to be mislabeled as to how old they are, not the products of abortion at all, photographed without any's consent, etc)
March 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Nickswife2004's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have mixed feelings on prolife materials and graphic images.
I am 100% against abortion in any situation.

I don't think children should be exposed to images that I have seen on flyers and posters for prolife campaigns. I definitely don't want my child seeing that. It's scary, and uncalled for. I've been driving down the road before and seen those kinds of pictures, while I've had my younger siblings with me. They are 3 & 5 and I don't think it's appropriate for them to see.

I DO think that women should be shown exactly what they do to a baby when an abortion is performed, if they are looking into having an abortion. I think it should be a requirement that women are educated on the abortion process. You would be educated by your doctor if any other procedure was done, why not with that? Graphic images and all.

March 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I don't think children should be exposed to images that I have seen on flyers and posters for prolife campaigns. I definitely don't want my child seeing that. It's scary, and uncalled for. I've been driving down the road before and seen those kinds of pictures, while I've had my younger siblings with me. They are 3 & 5 and I don't think it's appropriate for them to see.

I DO think that women should be shown exactly what they do to a baby when an abortion is performed, if they are looking into having an abortion. I think it should be a requirement that women are educated on the abortion process. You would be educated by your doctor if any other procedure was done, why not with that? Graphic images and all.[/b]
As one of the rare women who had to have an abortion of a loved and wanted child to SAVE MY LIFE, the last thing that I needed to see before surgery was an aborted fetus. The decision is hard enough without some radical pushing pictures of dead babies in my face - there is a level or respect and consideration we should have for others in this world.
March 17th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Nickswife2004's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

I DO think that women should be shown exactly what they do to a baby when an abortion is performed, if they are looking into having an abortion. I think it should be a requirement that women are educated on the abortion process. You would be educated by your doctor if any other procedure was done, why not with that? Graphic images and all.[/b]
As one of the rare women who had to have an abortion of a loved and wanted child to SAVE MY LIFE, the last thing that I needed to see before surgery was an aborted fetus. The decision is hard enough without some radical pushing pictures of dead babies in my face - there is a level or respect and consideration we should have for others in this world.
[/b]
I'm sorry that happened to you. However the majority of abortions are not emergency situations to save the life of the mother. I still think that women should be educated on what they are doing to the life inside of them. Like I said in the PP, your doctor educates you on other procedures you have to have done, why not Abortion? Most young ladies choosing to do it don't have a clue what happens.
Again, I'm very sorry that happened to you, it must've been very painful to lose a child you wanted. I have the utmost respect and consideration of people in this world, my views don't change that.

March 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I'm sorry that happened to you. However the majority of abortions are not emergency situations to save the life of the mother. I still think that women should be educated on what they are doing to the life inside of them. Like I said in the PP, your doctor educates you on other procedures you have to have done, why not Abortion? Most young ladies choosing to do it don't have a clue what happens.
Again, I'm very sorry that happened to you, it must've been very painful to lose a child you wanted. I have the utmost respect and consideration of people in this world, my views don't change that.
[/b]
There is a big difference between having someone educate you on the procedure and being shown graphic pictures. You are not shown graphic pictures of your appendix being taken out during that surgery, why do you need graphic pictures of an abortion.

The majority of women are not idiots and know exactly what the doctor's are doing when they perform an abortion. I promise you that for many, the image is burned into their psyche forever with or without pictures. The pictures are just a form of punishment.
March 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Tofu Bacon
I'm pro-life and still feel that kind of material is horribly graphic and unnecessary. Regardless of the reason for abortion, a woman carries it with her her entire life; she has enough to deal with without having that shoved in her face.
March 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Quote:
I'm pro-life and still feel that kind of material is horribly graphic and unnecessary. Regardless of the reason for abortion, a woman carries it with her her entire life; she has enough to deal with without having that shoved in her face.[/b]
I'm pro choice but i agree with you totally.
Abortion to so many is not an easy thing and it causes mental scars and images the mother will never forget. its not soemthing that should be shared with the world. Its not what I want to see after 3 losses thinking... "god my baby would have looked like that if id passed everything into a bucket"
Its just cruel,
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search