Ultrasounds before abortions

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=48051

Do you think this bill being approve will do anything to cut back abortion rates?

March 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
mrobinson
No but it will increase the guilt factor.
March 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
No but it will increase the guilt factor.[/b]
March 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
chlodoll
Stupid. I had an abortion, they give you an ultrasound first to date the pregnancy, I could see the screen and I had zero idea what the heck I was looking at anyway.

It wouldnt make me feel any more guilty to review the pictures if thats what they are hoping for. Unfortunatly alot of women would feel horrible.
March 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
mrobinson
Why can't they legislate counselling and help?
March 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
chlodoll
At the clinic I went to they have conselling but its optional. I didnt take it, I probably should have. I think everyone should.
March 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
At the clinic I went to they have conselling but its optional. I didnt take it, I probably should have. I think everyone should.[/b]
I think us in Canada have that option.. I haven't heard so many good stories about our American friends about it.
March 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
chlodoll
I would think a place like planned parent hood would offer counselling.
March 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Why can't they legislate counselling and help?[/b]
And it needs to be unbiased counselling. There was talk here in Australia about the Catholic church running abortion counselling centres in order to try and reduce the abortion rate.

Even someone who knows what they are looking at may not be swayed by having to view an ultrasound before if they have made up their minds.

It doesn't seem like a support service to reduce rates to me. It looks like a scare tactic to guilt women out of having a choice.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Wolfmama09's Avatar " He's a marshmallow!"
I agree that it's more about making them feel guilty about it if anything.

March 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
But isn't it good for women to be INFORMED when they're making their choice? I don't see how having an ultrasound is some horrible thing taking away their choice. Their choice is still there. If looking at an ultrasound would make the woman feel guilty... then perhaps she's not in the right frame of mind to be having that abortion at all?
March 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Good, they should feel guilty because it is wrong. If you feel guilty about it, you shouldn't do it.
March 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Certainly you do not think PP would provide counseling that was "unbiased"?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
chlodoll
I dont think counseling should be about whether you are having the abortion or not but about your feelings.

And they do give you an ultrasound, this bill said you would have to examine the photos whatever that means.
March 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Oh don't get me started about PP being biased!! HAHA, BTDT! Yes, they are definitely biased (as is EVERY side of EVERY subject).

Anyway...I don't see viewing the ultrasound as being a bad thing. BUT, I DO think it would be more productive to have unbiased counseling about WHAT THEY ARE FEELING, and about the abortion procedure itself. 30 minutes of counseling (which is what is offered here), is just not enough, and it is biased.

I agree that if one is to feel guilt about something...then perhaps they should rethink their position. Guilt is there for a reason...it doesn't come out of nowhere. I understand that the feelings of guilt can be INTENSIFIED through the actions of others, but it originated from the person, whether or not they were completely conscious of it and/or accepted it.[/b]
The guilt associated with abortion is a product of society, just like the shame. There is no reason to make a woman view an ultrasound to intensify those feelings, there is no purpose. If anyone believes for a second that women don't understand what they are doing when they are having an abortion, then you are fooling yourself. They don't need further propaganda cast upon them to intensify the guilt and shame already associated with the decision.

March 22nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
No one should be making abortion harder than it has to be. Unbiassed couselling would be best. Definatly.
But I’ll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

March 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
I dont think counseling should be about whether you are having the abortion or not but about your feelings.[/b]
But I am certain there are a lot of women whose feelings would be uncertainty over whether or not to have the abortion. BTDT.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The guilt associated with abortion is a product of society, just like the shame. There is no reason to make a woman view an ultrasound to intensify those feelings, there is no purpose. If anyone believes for a second that women don't understand what they are doing when they are having an abortion, then you are fooling yourself. They don't need further propaganda cast upon them to intensify the guilt and shame already associated with the decision.[/b]
Oh come on... The guilt is a product of society? Is the guilt of a thief the product of society? The guilt of a murderer? If someone feels guilt, that's an internal thing... because they know they did something that wasn't necessarily right.

And i don't think it's right to say that ALL women understand exactly what they're doing when they have an abortion. If that's the case, why are there so many who live to regret it for YEARS after? Why are there women who do it again and again, and view it as merely another form of birth control?

Again, abortion is fully legal... So if they are feeling guilt and/or shame, then it's coming from them. Which means perhaps it's time to re-think that decision...
March 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I dont think counseling should be about whether you are having the abortion or not but about your feelings.[/b]
But I am certain there are a lot of women whose feelings would be uncertainty over whether or not to have the abortion. BTDT.

[/b][/quote]

Well if a woman is uncertain the definitely she should take the counselling and get her feelings out. Abortions here are covered by healthcare. No one wants to talk anyone into anything it doesnt benefit anyone, no money is made.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search