Welfare or abortion?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Welfare or abortion?
Welfare 89 64.49%
Abortion 29 21.01%
Other 20 14.49%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
mrobinson
Just curious if you had the choice between going on welfare or having an abortion what would you do?

You don't have justify anything here.. I'm just curious because we have many moms against others using welfare but are very pro-life. I just find it hypocritical but we'll see how the debates goes.

I'm pro-choice and would likely choose an abortion before going on assistance.
March 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Veteran
Ditto. Actually, I'd choose birth control :lol

But, I'm pro-choice. If I couldn't raise a child, then I wouldn't have a child. Just my thoughts.

March 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm just curious because we have many moms against others using welfare but are very pro-life. I just find it hypocritical.[/b]
I too think that is hypocritical.

I think personally I would go on assistance and continue the pregnancy. But I would not force another person to do the same thing.

March 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
CJMOM209
Quote:
Just curious if you had the choice between going on welfare or having an abortion what would you do?

You don't have justify anything here.. I'm just curious because we have many moms against others using welfare but are very pro-life. I just find it hypocritical but we'll see how the debates goes.

I'm pro-choice and would likely choose an abortion before going on assistance.[/b]
LOL...this is a good spinoff.
March 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And where is the dad in this scenario? Because that would influence what I would do to an extent.
Does he have a job? Is he going to help babysit? Is he going to pay child support at least?

March 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Veteran
I'd go on welfare---and if I'm one you deem hypocritical-- why?
March 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I chose "Other" and I will explain.

I am pro-life. I do NOT have a problem with ANYONE who needs some assistance. We all go through hard times in our lives and it's nice to have some help. I would say if I found myself pregnant and my only options were abortion and assistance I would go on assistance. Here is where I am going with this. You don't have to be on assistance forever. Just because you have a child doesn't mean you can't ever better yourself enough to live without government assistance. The problem is when people look at the need to assistance as a reason to never better themselves.

There are more types of government assistance then food stamps and health care. Government assistance will help you to get an education; they will help you get a house and/or a car. The only problem with government assistance is that it does not FORCE those who use it to better themselves.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
March 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
And where is the dad in this scenario? Because that would influence what I would do to an extent.
Does he have a job? Is he going to help babysit? Is he going to pay child support at least?[/b]
Well it doesn't matter if in the end a pregnant mom's choice is assistance or abortion. (That is a huge part of the downplayed financial decision many women are faced with.)

Quote:
I'd go on welfare---and if I'm one you deem hypocritical-- why?[/b]
If you are willing to go on welfare, that's not hypocritical because at least if you're pro-life you have a support system.

Quote:
I chose "Other" and I will explain.

I am pro-life. I do NOT have a problem with ANYONE who needs some assistance. We all go through hard times in our lives and it's nice to have some help. I would say if I found myself pregnant and my only options were abortion and assistance I would go on assistance. Here is where I am going with this. You don't have to be on assistance forever. Just because you have a child doesn't mean you can't ever better yourself enough to live without government assistance. The problem is when people look at the need to assistance as a reason to never better themselves.

There are more types of government assistance then food stamps and health care. Government assistance will help you to get an education; they will help you get a house and/or a car. The only problem with government assistance is that it does not FORCE those who use it to better themselves.[/b]
Mentality I will count your vote as welfare.
March 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Tofu Bacon
Welfare. Poverty would be temporary, but abortion is permanent.
March 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Welfare. Poverty would be temporary, but abortion is permanent.[/b]
My thoughts. I couldn't live with myself, assistance would be temporary. DH and I both work and pay into the system, if I need help and can take it I will. Another option I might consider is open adoption, if we really were in a bad spot.

The father's role does play a huge part to me, he acts as a supoort [or not] system. That factors into the decision to keep or not. I does come down to what the more decides, but are you going to make the same choices with a trilled dad to be vs an untrilled dad to be [generally speaking].
March 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
mrobinson
I totally agree that the father should matter but that's not the case in many situations, hence why welfare is needed.
March 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pro-choice politically. However, I don't think I'd ever be able to terminate a pregnancy of my own. It's something I don't feel I'd be strong enough to do or overcome.

Therefore, I chose welfare.
March 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Ditto. Actually, I'd choose birth control :lol

But, I'm pro-choice. If I couldn't raise a child, then I wouldn't have a child. Just my thoughts.[/b]

Just because I am using PA does not mean I am not fully capable of raising my child. But your condensation is dualy noted.

Obviously we all know where I stand on this one.

My question is, why do women even have to choose
March 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommywannabe Send a message via MSN to mommywannabe Send a message via Yahoo to mommywannabe
I am pro-life and would go on welfare. Like it has been stated, welfare is not forever. Well, it shouldnt be at least. And if me having the baby means I have to get assistance for a period of time to help take care of my baby, then that is what I will do. I have worked my butt off and paid into the system, why shouldnt I be able to use it if I need it, while I need it? But that is just what *I* would do.

Casey

March 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
My question is, why do women even have to choose [/b]
ITA! Because not enough people really see the gravity of this issue. They just (incorrectly) label it as wrong because abortion is "wrong." People like to say that not being able to afford a baby isn't a good enough reason but this is the reality of this issue.
March 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
ITA! Because not enough people really see the gravity of this issue. They just (incorrectly) label it as wrong because abortion is "wrong." People like to say that not being able to afford a baby isn't a good enough reason but this is the reality of this issue.
[/b]
Actually the way I see it, it's not about right or wrong. I just think that no woman should have to choose between pursuing her education and escaping poverty, and sacrificing a wanted child. If she does want to keep the baby, I dont think that the financial aspect should be what stands in her way. That is such a terrible sacrifice to make. I am pro-choice-Emphasis on choice. If a woman wants to keep her baby but feels like she cannot because of financial reasons, that seems like more of a forced choice than a willing one.
March 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Actually the way I see it, it's not about right or wrong. I just think that no woman should have to choose between pursuing her education and escaping poverty, and sacrificing a wanted child. If she does want to keep the baby, I dont think that the financial aspect should be what stands in her way. That is such a terrible sacrifice to make. I am pro-choice-Emphasis on choice. If a woman wants to keep her baby but feels like she cannot because of financial reasons, that seems like more of a forced choice than a willing one.
[/b]
((nods head in complete agreement))

I wouldn't ever want to force any decision on anyone.. one imposed, like financial strain, is a forced decision.
March 26th, 2007, 04:04 PM
mrobinson
I wonder where our pro-lifers are? We have so many against "using the system" and I know would wholeheartly disagree financial strain isn't a forced choice to abort.
March 26th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Actually the way I see it, it's not about right or wrong. I just think that no woman should have to choose between pursuing her education and escaping poverty, and sacrificing a wanted child. If she does want to keep the baby, I dont think that the financial aspect should be what stands in her way. That is such a terrible sacrifice to make. I am pro-choice-Emphasis on choice. If a woman wants to keep her baby but feels like she cannot because of financial reasons, that seems like more of a forced choice than a willing one.[/b]
I feel exactly the same. I choose abortion anyway for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search