Free abortions

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If abortions were free to whoever wanted them, would you support that or not? Currently (at least in the US, not sure about other countries) you have to pay for them. So the most economically disadvantaged women can't afford them. Which means the poorest of the poor are forced to have their babies?

This doesn't make sense to me. How can this country be pro-choice but then not give certain women a choice at all? And wouldn't that just continue the cycle of poverty if poor women are stuck having more babies they may or may not want?

March 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
If abortions were free to whoever wanted them, would you support that or not? Currently (at least in the US, not sure about other countries) you have to pay for them. So the most economically disadvantaged women can't afford them. Which means the poorest of the poor are forced to have their babies?

This doesn't make sense to me. How can this country be pro-choice but then not give certain women a choice at all? And wouldn't that just continue the cycle of poverty if poor women are stuck having more babies they may or may not want?[/b]
I 100% agree with you. I support free abortions.
March 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Yes, they should be free and available to all women. If this were to ever come to fruition, I think it would need to be coupled with free counseling services, before and after.

ETA-the counseling should be in place regardless, just adding that if it were a free service the counseling should be included.

March 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Pure Innocence
Quote:
Quote:

This doesn't make sense to me. How can this country be pro-choice but then not give certain women a choice at all? And wouldn't that just continue the cycle of poverty if poor women are stuck having more babies they may or may not want?[/b]
I 100% agree with you. I support free abortions.
[/b]
Yes for the reason Michelle stated.

No because maybe it would be used as a form of b.c.

FTR: I dont have a stance on abortion yet.
March 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Veteran
They are free in Quebec (unless you decide you want to go into private practice). I hope it will stay that way.
March 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They should be free to all women. Birth control, condoms and the morning after pill should also be free --- as well as counseling and abstinence education.
March 29th, 2007, 12:49 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
I don't agree with the types of bc's (the pill and the morning after pill come to mind) though that may induce an early abortion...so I obviously don't want that to be widely used (i.e., the result of making it readily available, etc.).[/b]

Because you dont agree with them personally you dont think that women should have one of the most reliable, most used, well known, birth control to be widely used?? The pill is what stops more abortions from happening. Over 50% of pregnancies are unplanned. Without the pill that number would be higher!
March 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM
chlodoll
They are effective if you take them correctly. 99% effective.
March 29th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I wouldn't (couldn't) support free abortions. I don't agree with it, so I cannot support it.[/b]
Absolutey agree with this. I would agree to medically indicated abortions fro free, but not make it easier for women to use it as a contraceptive method. If these women really need economic help, t hen condoms and other contraceptive methods should be made easily available, not abortions. I believe people should be fully respnsible and fully accountable for their actions- whether they got money or not.

Sharon
March 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
They should be free to all women. Birth control, condoms and the morning after pill should also be free --- as well as counseling and abstinence education.[/b]
Why should all that be free eashley?
[/b]
I believe that abortions should be available to women regardless of income. I also believe that it is better to prevent an unwanted pregnancy rather than aborting an existing pregnancy. So, if abortions are free to women so should the method for preventing pregnancy.

Quote:
Quote:
They are effective if you take them correctly. 99% effective.[/b]
I thought it was somewhere like 97%...but 2% really doesn't matter.

What matters is that people DON'T take them correctly, and when they do, the pill can still fail, or cause an early abortion.

If I don't believe in abortion, then I can't advocate something that would cause an abortion.
[/b]
CeCe, are you saying that you can't advocate for the use of the pill because it has a failure rate of 2% and possibly those pregnancies would result in abortion?
March 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Willowkarr's Avatar Coupon Blogger
As far as I knew abortions DID cost $, HOWEVER, you can get a waiver to pay VERY LITTLE if any at all......

I don't agree with abortion what-so-ever, but it will still happen, whether I like it or not. The "poorest-of-the-poor" do NOT have to pay for abortions, clinics just don't say that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search