Teaching or preaching to kids your POV

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Quote:
In your heart, do you think you can teach your own kids the other side of the abortion debate? (If you're pro-life, teach the pro-choice side or if you're pro-choice, teach the pro-life side?)[/b]
That depends on what you mean by "teach". Do you mean simply showing that there's another side? It's something they have to know. I'll of course teach them that there are other people who think differently. But if you mean to teach my children that abortion is an acceptable option even though it's not something I'd do, no I cannot ever teach them that. If the issue ever comes up and they ask me, I'll tell them what I think is right. If they innocently ask me if abortion is wrong, I'll tell them directly that there are circumstances in which an abortion is acceptable (like when the life of the mother is in danger), but that any other reason is unnacceptable.
Having said that, I'll also teach them that you cannot judge a person when you're not in their shoes and that I hope they'll act in a certain matter in that situation, but others may act differently and that's no reason to show disrespect and be judgmental.

Sharon
[/b]
I'm going to have to agree with this. Except I'm Pro-Choice, so the same concept, just switch the beliefs, lol.

April 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
well im still reading it as she said that its being taught as a method of birth control and that its also being taught in sex education...i dont know how you can take "Abortion is being taught to our son as a birth control method as of right now" out of context.[/b]
By implying him contracting an STD, you take her quote out of context.

Quote:
Quote:
Abortion is being taught to our son as a birth control method as of right now. I will have him investigate all sides of the debate as he gets older because it's only fair for him to make up his mind. However he's going to have YEARS of sex education where abortion among other topics he'll has to investigate and choice what he feels is right for him.

I don't feel I have the right to choose what my childs opinon is on anything no matter how much I want to.[/b]

i surely hope your son doesnt listen. abortions should NEVER be used as a form of birth control... a medical procedure... come on-that is a little extreme. i hope your son is smarter than that when he becomes sexually active, cause teaching him that abortion is acceptable as a birth control option-hes likely to have more problems than an unwanted child (think STDs). JMO.
[/b]
April 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
LaceyMommy2B
well i do think that if you plan to use abortion as your ONLY form of birth control, then you arent protecting yourself from STDs.

had she said, "We are teaching our son about safe sex, but also that if safe sex fails-abortion is an option," that would be different.

but im prolife, so of course we will still have different opinions.
April 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
mrobinson
No where did she say *only.*
April 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
LaceyMommy2B
i didnt say she does ONLY teach it.. but what if he chooses to use it as his only method? since it in itself is being taught as a method. she didnt say she is teaching that abortion in conjunction with other BC is A method, jsut that abortion is a method. *I* (may be wrong but) dont know any other methods of bc that that have to be combined to be effective.
i guess if its taught to be mixed with other forms of bc first and foremost-then stds wont be contracted (or less likely to be).
April 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
i didnt say she does ONLY teach it.. but what if he chooses to use it as his only method? since it in itself is being taught as a method. she didnt say she is teaching that abortion in conjunction with other BC is A method, jsut that abortion is a method. *I* (may be wrong but) dont know any other methods of bc that that have to be combined to be effective.
i guess if its taught to be mixed with other forms of bc first and foremost-then stds wont be contracted (or less likely to be).[/b]
Why assume that she isn't teaching other forms of bc? To most people sex education encompasses all forms of birth control.. Abortion is apart of that equation.
April 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM
LaceyMommy2B
i NEVER said she isnt teaching more than one, i said, she stated that she is teaching ABORTION.. itself, as *A* METHOD... she did NOT say "im teaching abortion, in conjunction with other birth control, as *A* method"
April 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A meaning one of many. I hope his girlfriend is on all these types of birthcontrol (hormonal, non-hormonal, and NFP) hopefully they'll have the hormonal male birth control out, along with condoms and spermicide. I want them on all forms of birth control posable. He will be visiting people that are dying of STDs. He'll know all about STDs.

It asked about Abortion so I didn't mention the other types of birth control. Yes at four years old we talk about why he has no siblings and that you only have children when you want to. WHY start sex ed at four-year old? So it's normal to talk about. I FEEL that SEX ed is a matter of life or death he has more of a chance of dying from that or at least have a lesser quality of life.

Why is this so importaint to me Every year nearly 9 million people under the age of 25 get a new STI (sexually transmitted infection). http://www.epigee.org/health/stds.html
Syphilis, AIDS, genital warts, herpes, hepatitis, and even gonorrhea have all been known to cause death http://www.epigee.org/health/stds.html

April 5th, 2007, 09:21 AM
mommyKathyX3
I generally stay away from the abortion debates, but I'll answer this one. I will teach my children that abortion is wrong, and since I personally have trouble being completly accepting of people who have had abortions, (and are NOT regretful because of a young pressured choice or something) I wont be surprised if they have this attitude also. I can be aquaintences, as long as its not brought up (hense why I stay away from this board) but I would have a hard time accepting someone as a close friend. I would have MAJOR issues if I found out one of my children had one. I guess this is one issue I feel I do pressure my children to have the same beliefs I do. Flame away!

Edited to add a phrase to clarify
April 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I generally stay away from the abortion debates, but I'll answer this one. I will teach my children that abortion is wrong, and since I personally have trouble being completly accepting of people who have had abortions, (and are NOT regretful because of a young pressured choice or something) I wont be surprised if they have this attitude also. I can be aquaintences, as long as its not brought up, but I would have a hard time accepting someone as a close friend. I would have MAJOR issues if I found out one of my children had one. I guess this is one issue I feel I do pressure my children to have the same beliefs I do. Flame away![/b]
Honestly, I'm glad you posted. I think it's a true representation of many people and their beliefs. I think it's a reflection of honesty..
April 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
sonadora's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sonadora Send a message via MSN to sonadora Send a message via Yahoo to sonadora
Yes, we feel that we can teach our children both sides of the issue:

DH is fully and completely pro-choice. I'm pro-life in regards to myself, but since humans pretty much do whatever they want anyway IMO, trying to convince them not to have an abortion if they are dead set on getting one is sort of moot.....even if such a procedure is illegal wherever they happen to live.

I don't know if my "If you tell me that you're considering an abortion, I'll say that I just don't agree with it, but it's your body and your life so make your own choice." is on the fence or not, but I don't care. I'll explain it that way to our kids. But I'll also explain all other facets of the issue to our children as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search