Teaching or preaching to kids your POV

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM
mrobinson
In your heart, do you think you can teach your own kids the other side of the abortion debate? (If you're pro-life, teach the pro-choice side or if you're pro-choice, teach the pro-life side?)
March 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
In your heart, do you think you can teach your own kids the other side of the abortion debate? (If you're pro-life, teach the pro-choice side or if you're pro-choice, teach the pro-life side?)[/b]
Absolutely! I really hope that I can teach my children as much information as possible when it comes to all subjects. I want them to look at such topics from every angle possible.

March 30th, 2007, 01:33 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Yes, I think I can. I'm really pro-life in my personal life, but I don't think it does anyone any good to take away the choice until a better choice is presented. I'll probably be a little biased if my daughter turned up pregnant in high school, I'd want her to keep the baby and I'd help her raise it, but even if she decided to get an abortion I wouldn't shun her and I'd support her as best I could with her decision. In fact, when talking to DH about this at one point, he said he'd be pushing her to get an abortion if she was on the young side, and I was arguing that it's not our place to do that. Funny lol

At this moment, I'm not tied to any religion that will say that she's going to "go to hell" for what she did; I believe in action and consequence, and I do think one of the worst things you can do is take a life. But *I'm* not the one who has to deal with the consequences of that action, ALL I can do is inform her of what I believe, what the options are that are out there, and help her make a choice. I know it sounds callous to say that, especially if it's my daughter in the context of the sentence I just wrote, but that's just the way I feel. I'd be heartbroken if she turned up pregnant and chose to get an abortion, more like it was a failure on my part than hers.
March 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
In your heart, do you think you can teach your own kids the other side of the abortion debate? (If you're pro-life, teach the pro-choice side or if you're pro-choice, teach the pro-life side?)[/b]
That depends on what you mean by "teach". Do you mean simply showing that there's another side? It's something they have to know. I'll of course teach them that there are other people who think differently. But if you mean to teach my children that abortion is an acceptable option even though it's not something I'd do, no I cannot ever teach them that. If the issue ever comes up and they ask me, I'll tell them what I think is right. If they innocently ask me if abortion is wrong, I'll tell them directly that there are circumstances in which an abortion is acceptable (like when the life of the mother is in danger), but that any other reason is unnacceptable.
Having said that, I'll also teach them that you cannot judge a person when you're not in their shoes and that I hope they'll act in a certain matter in that situation, but others may act differently and that's no reason to show disrespect and be judgmental.

Sharon
April 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Abortion is being taught to our son as a birth control method as of right now. I will have him investigate all sides of the debate as he gets older because it's only fair for him to make up his mind. However he's going to have YEARS of sex education where abortion among other topics he'll has to investigate and choice what he feels is right for him.

I don't feel I have the right to choose what my childs opinon is on anything no matter how much I want to.

April 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm prochoice but if my kid turned up pregnant or got someone else pregnant, I would try my best to talk them OUT of an abortion. So I guess that sort of would teach them both sides of it.

April 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM
mrobinson
If you're pro-choice, why would you talk them out of an abortion?
April 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because I guess I would not see why they would get one (or their gf, if this was the case).
If someone HAS resources available such as a family that will help them take care of the child while they are at work/school (which is what we would try to offer), then why would they want to have an abortion?

Maybe, they're scared. This can be talked about though and maybe they will see that having a child is nothing to be afraid of, even though their life will change.

Why do people have abortions at all?
-they're in a bad relationship
-they have no support from their family/friends
-they can't take care of a child financially or they lack the time
-pregnancy will jeopardize their job, or their education

But if NONE of those is the case, then why have one?

April 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Because I guess I would not see why they would get one (or their gf, if this was the case).
If someone HAS resources available such as a family that will help them take care of the child while they are at work/school (which is what we would try to offer), then why would they want to have an abortion?

Maybe, they're scared. This can be talked about though and maybe they will see that having a child is nothing to be afraid of, even though their life will change.[/b]
I agree many are scared.. but lots aren't. If a person decides they want an abortion even after they know their family would help them, why discourage it?
April 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Isn't that basically getting an abortion for NO reason?
Or what is their reason?

April 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Or what is their reason?[/b]
What are you implying?

An abortion happens because there is a pregnancy.. You said you'd try to talk them out of an abortion because you're assuming they would feel scared and have no options. If they aren't scared, know their options and choose abortion because they don't want to be parents, nor a burden on anyone, why would you still talk them out of an abortion?
April 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I am implying that if someone is NOT in an abusive relationship, and they are NOT in financial trouble, and they DO have a supportive family who is happy to help, and pregnancy is NOT going to get them fired (I'm assuming we are talking about teenagers here, they won't get kicked out of school for being pregnant, so I don't see the harm)...............then what could their reason for wanting an abortion possibly be?

They need to have a reason, don't they?

April 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Or what is their reason?[/b]
What are you implying?

An abortion happens because there is a pregnancy.. You said you'd try to talk them out of an abortion because you're assuming they would feel scared and have no options. If they aren't scared, know their options and choose abortion because they don't want to be parents, nor a burden on anyone, why would you still talk them out of an abortion?
[/b]
I didn't realize these reasons are "good" enough.

Quote:
Why do people have abortions at all?
-they're in a bad relationship
-they have no support from their family/friends
-they can't take care of a child financially or they lack the time
-pregnancy will jeopardize their job, or their education

But if NONE of those is the case, then why have one?[/b]
I just seen you editted your response..

So the bottom line is, to you someone not wanting to be a parent isn't a reason?
April 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They don't really have to be a parent if they don't want to. There is a waiting list of many many couples wanting to adopt a new baby.

I guess the only reason left is....they just don't want to deal with the inconvenience of pregnancy. Should someone have an abortion for this reason? I don't know.

April 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
They don't really have to be a parent if they don't want to. There is a waiting list of many many couples wanting to adopt a new baby.

I guess the only reason left is....they just don't want to deal with the inconvenience of pregnancy. Should someone have an abortion for this reason? I don't know.[/b]
It's not just the inconvenience of pregnancy.. It's still having offspring in the world.. Adoption isn't a choice everyone should have to make by deciding not to be parents!
April 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
donomama
Quote:
Abortion is being taught to our son as a birth control method as of right now. I will have him investigate all sides of the debate as he gets older because it's only fair for him to make up his mind. However he's going to have YEARS of sex education where abortion among other topics he'll has to investigate and choice what he feels is right for him.

I don't feel I have the right to choose what my childs opinon is on anything no matter how much I want to.[/b]

You're teaching a four year old that abortion is a method of birth control?!?!? I understand why people feel they need an abortion. I don't agree with it, but I try to understand where they are coming from. This ^^^^^ I can never understand, and I think it's quite messed up, to be perfectly honest. Abortion, if done at all, should be used as a last resort, when prevention tactics don't work. Using it as "birth control" is so wrong in so many ways. And why on earth would you be teaching this to a 4 year old?!?!
April 4th, 2007, 02:16 PM
LaceyMommy2B
Quote:

I don't feel I have the right to choose what my childs opinon is on anything no matter how much I want to.[/b]

i surely hope your son doesnt listen. abortions should NEVER be used as a form of birth control... a medical procedure... come on-that is a little extreme. i hope your son is smarter than that when he becomes sexually active, cause teaching him that abortion is acceptable as a birth control option-hes likely to have more problems than an unwanted child (think STDs). JMO.
April 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
mrobinson
Quote:

This statement is being taken out of context.. She clearly said abortion is part of his years of sex education.. Meaning other forms of sex education is being taught.
April 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
LaceyMommy2B
well im still reading it as she said that its being taught as a method of birth control and that its also being taught in sex education...i dont know how you can take "Abortion is being taught to our son as a birth control method as of right now" out of context.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search