Partial Birth abortion ruling

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2007, 10:17 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18174245/

Any comments?

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

April 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am fine with the ruling. The procedure that is banned is a procedure I don't agree with.

I support the right to choose.

I just think that particular procedure is disgusting, and I'm glad the Supreme Court upheld the ban.

April 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Said Eve Gartner of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America: “This ruling flies in the face of 30 years of Supreme Court precedent and the best interest of women’s health and safety. ... This ruling tells women that politicians, not doctors, will make their health care decisions for them.” She had argued that point before the justices.

“Today’s decision is alarming,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote in dissent. She said the ruling “refuses to take ... seriously” previous Supreme Court decisions on abortion.

Ginsburg said the latest decision “tolerates, indeed applauds, federal intervention to ban nationwide a procedure found necessary and proper in certain cases by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.”

She was joined by Justices Stephen Breyer, David Souter and John Paul Stevens.[/b]
Very sad that women's health is in jeopardy because of the politican's views of control over women's bodies.

April 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like it...

And that's for ONE reason. There's no exception if a woman's life is in jeopardy. That is NOT okay to me...
April 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Praise the Lord! It is about time that happened. If only it was the same everywhere even though abortion should be completely banned. If you think that babies being killed like that is ok then you are ignorant to life.God bless those precious little angel babies.
April 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
If you think that babies being killed like that is ok then you are ignorant to life.[/b]
And if you think by killing the mom that is ok, then I think you, the pot, would be calling the kettle black.
April 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
If you think that babies being killed like that is ok then you are ignorant to life.[/b]
And if you think by killing the mom that is ok, then I think you, the pot, would be calling the kettle black.
[/b]
Why do you keep bringing up killing the mom? Most times the mother is fine.
April 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
[/b]
And the majority of time where partial birth abortions are performed, the mother is not fine. Hence why Michelle is bringing up the health and welfare of the mother.
April 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mommy1 @ Apr 18 2007, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

And the majority of time where partial birth abortions are performed, the mother is not fine. Hence why Michelle is bringing up the health and welfare of the mother.
[/b][/quote]

And... some people are saying abortion is NEVER okay, even in the cases where the mother's life IS in jeopardy. So that's what people are debating... I'm completely anti-abortion EXCEPT in cases of health issues. I know people think even that isn't acceptable, but i don't get that... Mom's life is of importance too.
April 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I can't say that I'm surprised that this was passed, but I still find it hard to believe that some women here would prefer to have the reccomendation of a politician over the ACOG (which the article stated sometimes finds this procedure to be necessary) when it comes to their health. I am shocked that there is no exception when the mother's health is in jeopardy.
April 18th, 2007, 09:16 PM
donomama

"The procedure at issue involves partially removing the fetus intact from a woman's uterus, then crushing or cutting its skull to complete the abortion."
Why not just deliver the baby at that point? It makes me sick to my stomach.
April 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
CBMS
First of all...

why would you even bring up "the mom dying" when that is the only time that partial birth abortion is allowed???

Quote:
The law allows the procedure to be performed when a woman’s life is in jeopardy.[/b]
pg. 2, last sentence. Women who are truly in danger if the pregnancy continues are allowed to kill the baby.

Second of all.. this is just sick sounding... barf me.

Quote:
The procedure at issue involves partially removing the fetus intact from a woman's uterus, then crushing or cutting its skull to complete the abortion.[/b]
April 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
why would you even bring up "the mom dying" when that is the only time that partial birth abortion is allowed???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
The law allows the procedure to be performed when a woman’s life is in jeopardy.[/b]
pg. 2, last sentence. Women who are truly in danger if the pregnancy continues are allowed to kill the baby.[/b][/quote]

I think I read it differently.. They were discussing the previous Republican attempts at passing this law.
Quote:
While the court upheld the law against a broad attack on its constitutionality, Kennedy said the court could entertain a challenge in which a doctor found it necessary to perform the banned procedure on a patient suffering certain medical complications. The law allows the procedure to be performed when a woman’s life is in jeopardy.[/b]
I thought he was referring to the lost cases prior to this one.

At any rate, if doctors think a partial abortion is in the best interest of the patient, and the patient agrees why should politicans be making policies that contradict doctor's recommendations? Imagine if we outlawed epi's because natural births were more along the lines of what politicians wanted. It's crazy to have politics take over where medical procedures should be or not be taking place.
April 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I saw that in the paper.

I am all for it...I dont think partial birth abortions should be legal at all.

after the heart beat I think it is just wrong wrong wrong

I guess I am pro chocie prior to the heart beat and after that my pro life ideals kick in

April 19th, 2007, 08:23 AM
mrobinson
babies: How would you feel if politicians forced women to breastfeed and outlawed formula?
April 19th, 2007, 08:31 AM
CBMS
Quote:
At any rate, if doctors think a partial abortion is in the best interest of the patient, and the patient agrees why should politicans be making policies that contradict doctor's recommendations? Imagine if we outlawed epi's because natural births were more along the lines of what politicians wanted. It's crazy to have politics take over where medical procedures should be or not be taking place.[/b]
What about the best interest of the fully developed baby that is already capable of living outside the womb? It shouldn't be acceptable unless the mother would die from continuing the pregnancy. Just because she wakes up one day, at 30 weeks and realizes that she's scared to death to be a mother... she's going to have her baby ripped apart, limb by limb? What about THAT patient? If it's not life and death, then it shouldn't be allowed. I think the ruling is right on.
April 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
At any rate, if doctors think a partial abortion is in the best interest of the patient, and the patient agrees why should politicans be making policies that contradict doctor's recommendations? Imagine if we outlawed epi's because natural births were more along the lines of what politicians wanted. It's crazy to have politics take over where medical procedures should be or not be taking place.[/b]
What about the best interest of the fully developed baby that is already capable of living outside the womb? It shouldn't be acceptable unless the mother would die from continuing the pregnancy. Just because she wakes up one day, at 30 weeks and realizes that she's scared to death to be a mother... she's going to have her baby ripped apart, limb by limb? What about THAT patient? If it's not life and death, then it shouldn't be allowed. I think the ruling is right on.
[/b][/quote]

((It's so hard to debate this. I feel like you aren't answering any of the questions I asked and because you see the fetus as a child, it's pointless to debate.))

How are we assuming it's a fully developed child capable of living outside the womb? Why assume at 30 weeks is when this is done? Why disregard the doctor's recommendations about the best way to remove the fetus?
April 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What about the best interest of the fully developed baby that is already capable of living outside the womb? It shouldn't be acceptable unless the mother would die from continuing the pregnancy. Just because she wakes up one day, at 30 weeks and realizes that she's scared to death to be a mother... she's going to have her baby ripped apart, limb by limb? What about THAT patient? If it's not life and death, then it shouldn't be allowed. I think the ruling is right on.[/b]
I agree!
This procedure is just horrifying, and should only be used if the mother would die otherwise.

Outlawing this one procedure is not going to impact a woman's right to choose. Early abortions that do not use this procedure are still legal.

April 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I agree!
This procedure is just horrifying, and should only be used if the mother would die otherwise.

Outlawing this one procedure is not going to impact a woman's right to choose. Early abortions that do not use this procedure are still legal.[/b]
Please feel free to answer any of the questions I've asked numberous ladies about politicians forcing their political view over someone else in regards to medical procedures. They are poiticans, not doctors.
April 19th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Doctors can still recommend this procedure if it is necessary for the mother's health........I don't understand the question.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search