What if you don't have a reason for wanting an abortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think if someone is completely capable of continuing their pregnancy with no adverse consequences to their job, health, finances, relationships, then they should continue their pregnancy.

I don't see the point of someone having an abortion in the situation I described. I can see getting one in less than ideal personal circumstances, but I just don't get it when someone has every available advantage and resource at their disposal.

April 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think if someone is completely capable of continuing their pregnancy with no adverse consequences to their job, health, finances, relationships, then they should continue their pregnancy.

I don't see the point of someone having an abortion in the situation I described. I can see getting one in less than ideal personal circumstances, but I just don't get it when someone has every available advantage and resource at their disposal.[/b]
If someone doesn't want a child how would keeping it NOT be bad for their health? It may not kill them but if a woman doesn't want to be a mother then it is going to affect her emotional wellbeing-which IS health.

It makes no sense what so ever :/ How can someone have a baby who doesn't want to have one gothrough a pregnancy without having any negative consquences?
April 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see the point of someone having an abortion in the situation I described. I can see getting one in less than ideal personal circumstances, but I just don't get it when someone has every available advantage and resource at their disposal.[/b]
If someone doesn't want a child how would keeping it NOT be bad for their health? It may not kill them but if a woman doesn't want to be a mother then it is going to affect her emotional wellbeing-which IS health.

It makes no sense what so ever :/ How can someone have a baby who doesn't want to have one gothrough a pregnancy without having any negative consquences?
[/b]
Assuming mom has no history of mental health problems, there is no way to know for sure how pregnancy and motherhood would affect her, but odds are she would be okay. Maybe once the baby got there the maternal instinct would kick in and they would fall in love with their baby.

April 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Assuming mom has no history of mental health problems, there is no way to know for sure how pregnancy and motherhood would affect her, but odds are she would be okay. Maybe once the baby got there the maternal instinct would kick in and they would fall in love with their baby.[/b]
Defining Maternal Risk

Maternal risk is defined as the probability of dying or experiencing serious injury as the result of pregnancy or childbirth.1 All pregnant women, by virtue of their pregnant status, face some level of maternal risk. Data suggest that around 40% of all pregnant women have some complication. About 15% of pregnant women need obstetric care to manage complications which are potentially life-threatening to mother or infant. Such complications are often sudden in onset and unpredictable.2

Although some sub-populations of pregnant women may experience a higher level of maternal risk than others, it is almost impossible to predict, on an individual basis, who will develop a life-threatening complication. It is therefore critical that all pregnant, labouring and recently delivered women have access to high quality essential obstetric services if and when the need arises.
source is WHO
April 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I meant risk of mental problems, not physical. Pregnancy itself is risky, but no more so than taking a drive down the street. Very few people die in childbirth these days.

April 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I meant risk of mental problems, not physical. Pregnancy itself is risky, but no more so than taking a drive down the street. Very few people die in childbirth these days.[/b]
If pregnancy itself is risky, why isn't that a good enough reason for an abortion?
April 25th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because decisions made out of fear are usually not good decisions.

Obviously, there is no board or committee out there that a woman has to go up in front of and say "this is the reason I want an abortion" and then have them determine if it's a "good enough" reason. The right to choose I guess means that some people are going to choose abortion for reasons I don't agree with or understand, and some will choose it for reasons I do agree with/ understand.

April 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Quote:
Because decisions made out of fear are usually not good decisions.

Obviously, there is no board or committee out there that a woman has to go up in front of and say "this is the reason I want an abortion" and then have them determine if it's a "good enough" reason. The right to choose I guess means that some people are going to choose abortion for reasons I don't agree with or understand, and some will choose it for reasons I do agree with/ understand.[/b]

Very true. IMO, if we were to start placing restriction's on a woman's reason for choosing abortion, we'd be on a very slippery slope that would lead to women having NO choice.
April 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Because decisions made out of fear are usually not good decisions.[/b]
The majority (not all) of epi's are done out of fear.. but we don't classify them as not good decisions. Why the double standard?
April 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
The majority (not all) of epi's are done out of fear.. but we don't classify them as not good decisions. Why the double standard?
[/b]
Digression, but I don't think the epi is done out of fear. It's done out of pain. Or that was my reason. Maybe other people's reasons are different.

But in general, making decisions out of fear is a bad idea.

April 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
Digression, but I don't think the epi is done out of fear. It's done out of pain. Or that was my reason. Maybe other people's reasons are different.

[/b]
For many women, it's the fear of the pain.
April 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCgirl @ Apr 25 2007, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
For many women, it's the fear of the pain.
[/b][/quote]

If someone asks for the epi the moment they go into labor or in early labor, then yeah, it is probably fear, because at that point the pain is still pretty manageable for most people. But they may fear it will get worse, so they ask for the epi.

If someone asks for the epi in the later stages of labor, they are past the point of fear, they are currently experiencing horrible pain, and they want some relief. Not out of fear it will get worse. Where they are at is already bad enough.

April 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
If someone asks for the epi the moment they go into labor or in early labor, then yeah, it is probably fear, because at that point the pain is still pretty manageable for most people. But they may fear it will get worse, so they ask for the epi.

If someone asks for the epi in the later stages of labor, they are past the point of fear, they are currently experiencing horrible pain, and they want some relief. Not out of fear it will get worse. Where they are at is already bad enough.[/b]
So then in either case, is it a good decision, IYHO?
April 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

If someone asks for the epi in the later stages of labor, they are past the point of fear, they are currently experiencing horrible pain, and they want some relief. Not out of fear it will get worse. Where they are at is already bad enough.[/b]
[/b]
I guess it depends on the outcome. If you ask someone who had a good experience, they are going to say that getting the epi was the best thing ever. And if you ask someone who got the epi and then that led to one problem after another, finally resulting in a C-section, they might not be happy with their decision. I personally WAS happy with my epi.

April 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I guess it depends on the outcome. If you ask someone who had a good experience, they are going to say that getting the epi was the best thing ever. And if you ask someone who got the epi and then that led to one problem after another, finally resulting in a C-section, they might not be happy with their decision. I personally WAS happy with my epi.
[/b]
So why not place that same acceptance of someone else's choice on abortion? Both the choice of an epi and an abortion is something we either judge or accept someone else's choice on.
April 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
But it's NOT just her body. It is her baby's body she's killing! The baby has no choice... confused.gif[/b]
The fetus cannot strive without the mother's body. Say a family member has an illness and cannot live without you giving them one of your kidneys. They are dying but NO ONE will force you to give them your kidney. It's your body and although they can't live without a piece of it, it's your choice. Forcing a woman to keep an unwanted pregnancy is like forcing you to keep your kidney....
[/b][/quote]

No, not quite... The family member's need for a kidney isn't because of choices YOU made. YOU make the decision to get pregnant, therefore it's your responsibility to bring that child into the world...
April 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
You made your bed, now sleep in it, thinking, so to speak.[/b]
Technically, you UNmade your bed, now sleep it it.

Uh Oh, I made a joke.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search