What if you don't have a reason for wanting an abortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Ugh, but the mother CHOSE to give the fetus life, therefore allowing it to use her body... Nobody chooses for their kidney to fail, or for a tapeworm to enter their system. But they DO make the decisions that lead to pregnancy.[/b]
Some alcoholics' livers fail because of all the years spent drinking. They may not have chosen it, but their choices are why they need a transplant.

Quote:
Actually, my point is that the terminology doesn't fit the ideal. Saying that a fetus is independent doesn't work when the fetus is dependent upon the mother to sustain life. There comes a point in time when that is not the case and the child is born and becomes independent. It is no longer dependent upon the mother's body to sustain it's life.

I think, sometimes, the two sides of the debate get lost on the terminology. Independent and separate mean, by definition, that the fetus does not need the mother's life and health and body to exist. If the fetus does depend upon those things to exist then it is not independent and separate. Those are terms that are acquired at birth.[/b]
I agree

April 28th, 2007, 10:30 PM
mommyKathyX3
The last page of posts has been an argument for/against abortion IN GENERAL, not what the OP was asking. Playing the opposite side SAY I agreed that if a person get pregnant under NON ideal circumstances, (rape, insest, extream poverty, young age etc) they are ok'd to get an abortion, but the OP is asking is it ok to get an abortion "just because"? Everybody kept saying "but how about if its NOT her choice to get pregnant and was forced?" Well, how about those times SHE ISNT, and theres an oops we were irresponsible and didnt use protection.
April 29th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The last page of posts has been an argument for/against abortion IN GENERAL, not what the OP was asking. Playing the opposite side SAY I agreed that if a person get pregnant under NON ideal circumstances, (rape, insest, extream poverty, young age etc) they are ok'd to get an abortion, but the OP is asking is it ok to get an abortion "just because"?[/b]
Yes, that is the question. Getting an abortion when there is a reason why such as the reasons you mentioned vs getting an abortion when someone is perfectly capable of continuing the pregnancy without putting their job, finances, relationship, health in jeopardy but they have an abortion anyway.

April 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Quote:
The last page of posts has been an argument for/against abortion IN GENERAL, not what the OP was asking. Playing the opposite side SAY I agreed that if a person get pregnant under NON ideal circumstances, (rape, insest, extream poverty, young age etc) they are ok'd to get an abortion, but the OP is asking is it ok to get an abortion "just because"?[/b]
Yes, that is the question. Getting an abortion when there is a reason why such as the reasons you mentioned vs getting an abortion when someone is perfectly capable of continuing the pregnancy without putting their job, finances, relationship, health in jeopardy but they have an abortion anyway.
[/b]
Not all pregnancy related illnesses are forseeable. I did not know before becoming pregnant with my second that all future pregnancies will be high risk. I was high risk with DD, but I didn't find out it would be so with all of my pregnancies until DS.
Aside from that, who determines what a "good reason" is? If someone is not willing to commit themselves to a child, to be a parent, then that is a reason.

I know this will be followed by the "then, don't have sex" mantra, but I am speaking from a realistic POV.

April 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Veteran
"Fetus or baby, you're not seriously arguing that it's not a separate body? Just because it is IN your body, it is still it's own body, functioning separately from yours."

The fact is that until birth the fetus is NOT a seperate body. The fetus is NOT functioning separatley from the mothers body- the same way a brain dead patient is NOT functioning separatley from a life support machine. A fetus requires the mothers body to preform it's bodily functions. A fetus/embryo can not preform it's own bodily functions.....not separately from it's mother's body. An embryo is attached to a mother's uterous....not just "inside of her" but actually physically attached to her physical organ. It grows like a limb....with life support inside the mother's womb.....it takes everything and gives back nothing. This can be a very pleasing relationship if the pregnancy is WANTED.....but not when it is unwanted. Not when the woman doesn't concent to having a foreign organism feed from her body and cause life long physical changes....when that foreign body is not wanted or welcomed. I believe that any reason is a valid reason for early elective abortion.....and that there are also many valid reasons for delayed or late term abortion (fetal abnormalities/health issue/mental health issue exc)....I might not personally like the reason....but my oppinions are moot....when they involve the best intrest of another woman facing a unique situation.
April 30th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
"Fetus or baby, you're not seriously arguing that it's not a separate body? Just because it is IN your body, it is still it's own body, functioning separately from yours."

The fact is that until birth the fetus is NOT a seperate body. The fetus is NOT functioning separatley from the mothers body- the same way a brain dead patient is NOT functioning separatley from a life support machine. A fetus requires the mothers body to preform it's bodily functions. A fetus/embryo can not preform it's own bodily functions.....not separately from it's mother's body. An embryo is attached to a mother's uterous....not just "inside of her" but actually physically attached to her physical organ. It grows like a limb....with life support inside the mother's womb.....it takes everything and gives back nothing. This can be a very pleasing relationship if the pregnancy is WANTED.....but not when it is unwanted. Not when the woman doesn't concent to having a foreign organism feed from her body and cause life long physical changes....when that foreign body is not wanted or welcomed. I believe that any reason is a valid reason for early elective abortion.....and that there are also many valid reasons for delayed or late term abortion (fetal abnormalities/health issue/mental health issue exc)....I might not personally like the reason....but my oppinions are moot....when they involve the best intrest of another woman facing a unique situation.[/b]
It IS a separate body though. It has it's own hearbeat, separate circulatory, nervous, digestive systems... It has it's own separate blood type. It may be INSIDE the mother, and ATTACHED to the mother, but it is not PART of the mother.

To the bolded: A woman DOES consent to having the fetus grow inside her when she has sex... for the billionth time. Actions lead to consequences, we all know this. A sperm doesn't just unknowingly hop inside a woman while she's asleep and attack her egg... i mean, please. Give women some credit... we all know what sex leads to.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
This is sort of a spinoff of one of the other topics- in reverse.

If you are pro-choice, what would you think of the following scenario:

A woman gets pregnant. She is in a relationship that is not abusive or damaging. Her family is not abusive. She won't lose her job if she continues her pregnancy. She has the financial resources to continue the pregnancy and/or keep the child. She is not an addict, she is perfectly healthy.

But she just doesn't want a child right now. She doesn't really have a reason why not. Do you think this is a good enough reason to have an abortion?[/b]
The options are forcing a woman to have child she doesn't want or have an abortion? I think it's a "good enough" reason to have an abortion.
[/b]
Now that is just plain selfish and people who think that way should not be having sex because if there is NO reason for her to have an abortion than she should not have one, and just not wanting a child at that time is not even a reason. Lots of people get pregnant when they didn't plan to have a child at that time but they still decide to keep the child and raise them like a responsible adult. If you don't want a child at that time then at least give them their chance to live and put them up for adopton. If adoption would be a hard thing to do then you should keep the child anyways. That is intentional killing for no reason even though there is never really a reason to abort anyways.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
so then what about all of these precious premature babies who at first survive by machines..are you going to say they aren't a life either? It all just doesn't make any sense . Just because they can't YET survive outside of their mother, that does not mean they are of less value like garbage you can just rip or suck out of your body and throw away. I will always remember my 15 week ultrasound of my daughter when she was moving around, and sucking her thumb etc. You have to have certain neurological reflexes to do that. It is a child. We all have been a fetus or whatever scientific name they have made up for the unborn children and we all have to develop in our mothers womb, that doesn't make us any less human because we were all once in our mothers uterus. I was once a fetus and I am and was completely human!
May 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
YUP!
May 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
irishxrose

Do you ever have anything worthwhile to add to a debate? You always seem to say the same stuff over and over... and you're never willing to learn about the other side.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The other side is the side that kills unborn children. I know that and am against it .I am allowed to agree with what someone said and reply aren't I? Please people..let me reply. I will reply with what I have to say, not with what people want to hear.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM
irishxrose
I'm not even going to debate this with you. There's no point.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
but isn't that what this board is for.. debating.?Anyways.. I personally do not see just not wanting a child at that time as a reason to abort.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Veteran
Quote:
but isn't that what this board is for.. debating.?[/b]
But that's not what you're doing. You're not debating, simply saying 'that's what i think, don't care about what you think' and sometimes downright insulting women who do choose to get an abortion for XYZ reason. Therefore it's impossible to debate with you.
May 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not replying like that now. If you will read my answer to the 14 weeker question you will know that. I am replying differntly now so people just please leave me alone for gosh sakes!
May 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is sort of a spinoff of one of the other topics- in reverse.

If you are pro-choice, what would you think of the following scenario:

A woman gets pregnant. She is in a relationship that is not abusive or damaging. Her family is not abusive. She won't lose her job if she continues her pregnancy. She has the financial resources to continue the pregnancy and/or keep the child. She is not an addict, she is perfectly healthy.

But she just doesn't want a child right now. She doesn't really have a reason why not. Do you think this is a good enough reason to have an abortion?[/b]
The options are forcing a woman to have child she doesn't want or have an abortion? I think it's a "good enough" reason to have an abortion.
[/b]
Now that is just plain selfish and people who think that way should not be having sex because if there is NO reason for her to have an abortion than she should not have one, and just not wanting a child at that time is not even a reason. Lots of people get pregnant when they didn't plan to have a child at that time but they still decide to keep the child and raise them like a responsible adult. If you don't want a child at that time then at least give them their chance to live and put them up for adopton. If adoption would be a hard thing to do then you should keep the child anyways. That is intentional killing for no reason even though there is never really a reason to abort anyways.
[/b]
You can think it's selfish all you want. I think selfish is when people bring kids into this world with no plan to take care of them. This thread is asking pro-choice people their opinions and that's mine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search