Is removing an ectopic pregnancy

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2007, 08:19 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm confused about this......when you have an ectopic pregnancy removed is it still considered an abortion?

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

April 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I am totally against abortions unless your health is in jeporady. You can die from an eptopic precgnancy so I thing it is the persons best intrest to have it remnoved.

April 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Yes, I know that and I agree with you......I was just wondering if it's called an abortion?

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

April 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
eash's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It was called an abortion on my medical paperwork when I had an ectopic. A miscarriage is also called a spontanious abortion medically. THe term abortion goes well beyond voluntary abortions which is why when many people say that they are opposed to "all abortions", they are usually making a statement that they don't truly understand.
April 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, I knew that about the spontaneous abortions, but there is obviously a difference between an elective and a non-elective abortion. People who miscarry don't walk around saying they had an abortion. KWIM? This discussion is just going on elsewhere and I was wondering, I guess, medically if an ectopic removal was called an abortion.

~Stacey

April 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM
~Sandy~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It was called an abortion on my medical paperwork when I had an ectopic. A miscarriage is also called a spontanious abortion medically. THe term abortion goes well beyond voluntary abortions which is why when many people say that they are opposed to "all abortions", they are usually making a statement that they don't truly understand.[/b]

I agree here, with my ectopic, I did the metho shot and when that didn't work I had to have surgery...my paperwork stated "medical abortion"

See with an ectopic whether it be on the ovary, in the tube or elsewhere, there is absolutely no chance of a normal pregnancy whatsoever.
Ectopic: In the wrong place. Out of place. An ectopic kidney, for example, is one that is not in the usual location.

The term "ectopic" comes from the Greek "ektopis" meaning "displacement" ("ek", out of + "topos", place = out of place). The first person to use "ectopic" in a medical context was the English obstetrician Robert Barnes (1817-1907) who applied it to an extrauterine pregnancy:

The pregnancy if allowed to continue carries an extremely high and almost certain maternal fatality rate, and even if the mother sacrificed herself to allow the baby to grow, the fetus would never survive.
When an ectopic pregnancy occurs there is not sufficient space, blood supply, or nutrients for an embryo to even develop properly.

While on paper it is titled abortion, and in fact you are aborting the pregnancy, you are also doing to save your life. There isn''t even an argument that keeping it would end in a baby because it wouldn't. And since science has not come up with an effective way of "moving" an embryo to a safer position, that argument cannot be made either.

It would seem rather silly, to say that someone was against resolving an ectopic pregnancy b/c it was an abortion technically, because then you would be in reality killing yourself for an embryo that honestly has no chance of making it whether you lived or died...Kwim..
April 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Yes, I knew that about the spontaneous abortions, but there is obviously a difference between an elective and a non-elective abortion. People who miscarry don't walk around saying they had an abortion. KWIM? This discussion is just going on elsewhere and I was wondering, I guess, medically if an ectopic removal was called an abortion.[/b]
Medically yes. That's exactly why Erin is right in her previous post.
April 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Quote:
People who miscarry don't walk around saying they had an abortion. KWIM?[/b]
Neither do most people who have had ectopic pregnancies removed .

Not sure what the point is (not being rude) but yes, medically an ectopic pregnancy surgery is considered an abortion. You are removing a non-viable but alive (in many cases) fetus from the mother.
April 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I know, I didn't mean to imply that you would say that you had an abortion because you had an ectopic pregnancy removed. I consider that really a miscarriage just like any other miscarriage. I just meant that someone who had a miscarriage (or an ectopic pregnancy) wouldn't say in day to day life that they had an abortion. KWIM? The reason I was asking this was because this discussion is going on elsewhere and I said the only time I would have an abortion is if I had to have an ectopic pregnancy removed and some other the other people said they wouldn't consider that an abortion. I guess it's just all semantics. I'm sorry....dumb question....and I'm really sorry if I upset you, eashley.

~Stacey

April 25th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Quote:
I know, I didn't mean to imply that you would say that you had an abortion because you had an ectopic pregnancy removed. I consider that really a miscarriage just like any other miscarriage. I just meant that someone who had a miscarriage (or an ectopic pregnancy) wouldn't say in day to day life that they had an abortion. KWIM? The reason I was asking this was because this discussion is going on elsewhere and I said the only time I would have an abortion is if I had to have an ectopic pregnancy removed and some other the other people said they wouldn't consider that an abortion. I guess it's just all semantics. I'm sorry....dumb question....and I'm really sorry if I upset you, eashley.[/b]
You didn't upset me - thanks for the concern though. I was just confused what the actual question was - it makes sense now.
April 25th, 2007, 10:32 AM
donomama
I might be wrong, but I think a D&C, where the baby is already dead, is also called a medical abortion.
April 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I might be wrong, but I think a D&C, where the baby is already dead, is also called a medical abortion.[/b]
You are correct!
April 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Thank you for the explanations. I'm glad I didn't upset you, Erin.

~Stacey

April 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
mrobinson
I think it's a huge credit to you to actively find out more information about a subject like this one! I hope others follow your lead, even if that means outside this abortion debate.
April 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
mommyKathyX3
I've volunteered at AAA CPC before and hope to again this summer, and have some medical training so I knew all of the medical terminology. Like the others say, what stuff is medically termed doesnt always coinside with what I call it. I guess if I have to from now on I can say I'm against all voluntary abortions, but not medical ones. but I would hope most people would understand that. definition of abortion is only removal of the fetus. How and why it happens is the details.
May 10th, 2007, 09:28 AM
EmilysMommy04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to EmilysMommy04
I had an ectopic pregnancy. I do not consider it an abortion. I consider it a very dark day in my life. I was told If I were to go home and go to sleep, I would not wake up in the morning. I was bleeding out and my left tube had ruptured. I had to have the surgery. I had a 2 yr old little girl at home who needed her mommy. I miss my baby so every single day I think of her and it doesnt get any easier. I had to have the surgery because I was bleeding out and internally badly. Take a cup of water and dump it thats how fast the blood was coming out of me and non stop. After surgery my blood pressure was 43/68 . I remember them saying i was really sick due to the amount of blood I had lost. I dont consider it an abortion I didnt have much of a choice. My baby was dying and I was going to die to.

May 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I don't see it as an abortion. I really don't care what it is called medically. Abortion to me, is having a normal, healthy pregnancy and choosing to not remain pregnant. I see no choice in this matter.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search