Emergency Contraception

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2007, 08:46 PM
mommyKathyX3
I'm sure this has been talked aobut, but not since I've been around for the last few months, so what are you guys's perception of this? I KNOW what some of you think, but I'd like to know what the OTHERS think.

My view might be a little bit of a surprise for some of you. I think that it is ok in emergency situations. WHY I believe this is because USUALLY conception doesnt happen for 24-48 hrs after sex so if the morning after pill is used it will prevent a pregnancy from happening, not abort a pregnancy. Now IF conception HAS happened, it is literally only a few cells and it doesnt have a heartbeat yet. I feel this is TECHNICALLY an abortion, but honestly just as bad as when you use regular birth control pills. I think you are supposed to use it by 72 hrs after unprotected sex, right? I think that it SHOULD be available over the counter, but behind the counter, kwim? Like cold medicine is. I think this option would stop a LOT of POSSIBLE pregancies because of bad choices, or the obvious senarios of rape. I also know its not 100% effective, but definatly a good thing to help prevent some not so good situations.
April 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My view might be a little bit of a surprise for some of you. I think that it is ok in emergency situations. WHY I believe this is because USUALLY conception doesnt happen for 24-48 hrs after sex so if the morning after pill is used it will prevent a pregnancy from happening, not abort a pregnancy. Now IF conception HAS happened, it is literally only a few cells and it doesnt have a heartbeat yet. I feel this is TECHNICALLY an abortion, but honestly just as bad as when you use regular birth control pills. I think you are supposed to use it by 72 hrs after unprotected sex, right? I think that it SHOULD be available over the counter, but behind the counter, kwim? Like cold medicine is. I think this option would stop a LOT of POSSIBLE pregancies because of bad choices, or the obvious senarios of rape. I also know its not 100% effective, but definatly a good thing to help prevent some not so good situations.[/b]
100%
May 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I am with Kathy. Conception does not occur the moment the sperm enters the woman, it takes a day or two, and this is taken within that time period. IMO, it prevents conception from occurring, it does not abort a pregnancy.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM
mommyKathyX3
I agree that life begins at conception. I wont disagree with you on that. Of course with anything it can be abused, but I just feel that if used correctly, it isnt an abortion inducer, its a pregnancy preventer. I see it as what it is is a highly potent version of bc pills. If you have a problem with bc pill, I can see someone having a problem with Em. Cont. cause they work the same way, preventing a fertilized egg from attatching to the uterine wall. Honestly I think for ME personally I'm struggling with the whole bc thing, but I have no quarms about others using it. Same way with Em. Conc. I think its an amazing thing for people like rape victims. Since conception usually occurs 3-5 days and up to 7 days after sex this seems like a good comprimise.
May 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ i agree, and only know about it because we had a scare about a year ago and were NOT ready financially for kids. My mom told me to take the Em Contr pill and I was shocked (she is anti abortion). I didnt know a thing about it, and it was back when you had to see a doc to get it and we didnt have the $50 needed for the pill

May 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is over the counter here, no prescription needed. I am all for it.

May 4th, 2007, 06:07 PM
camsmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I approve 150%... it is every womens choice... i do not have the right to decide what is right or approvable for any of you or any other women.... the government shouldn't be aloud to govern our bodies... it is my body my choice

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE></div>
May 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I have no problem with it and would use it if I needed to. I don't believe it is abortion. I thought it was approved for over-the-counter use but I haven't seen it in drugstores yet.
May 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I am Pro-Life, and I am for the EC. IF and only if it is taken in the first 2 days, because at that time it is preventative and not aborting. IMO there is a big difference there, which is why I will support. I think it will prevent a lot of abortions down the road if it becomes readily available.

May 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Roxyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am for it.

May 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
for it and pro-choice the more choices woman have the less abortion is needed.

May 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am against it and belive also that the baby is formed at conception.

Also I know people who have taken the morning after pill and still be pregnant. I don't think it would be right, mentally, to have a baby after you know you tried to get rid of it.
Mummy to 2 boys expecting #3.

May 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Mom2Addi's Avatar Member
Quote:
I have no problem with it and would use it if I needed to. I don't believe it is abortion. I thought it was approved for over-the-counter use but I haven't seen it in drugstores yet.[/b]
You have to ask the pharmacist for it and show ID. I think it is great. I don't think there should be an age limit on it (currently 18)
May 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
irishxrose
Quote:
I am against it and belive also that the baby is formed at conception.

Also I know people who have taken the morning after pill and still be pregnant. I don't think it would be right, mentally, to have a baby after you know you tried to get rid of it.[/b]
They were probably already pregnant. The morning after pill does not abort existing pregnancies.
May 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I oppose it, 150%.

I believe in life at conception.

And I am not 100% convinced that this pill does not harm the unborn at all (it states that it will not affect an already growing pregnancy). I think that is just a line to keep people's mouths quiet (prolife camp), quite honestly. [/b]

Do you really think they would put that on the back just to keep peoples mouth quiet? They have an obligation to give you all the risks of the medication etc they are hardly likely to lie just to keep people quiet. Sorry but that is ignorant.

I took it recently after a split condom and I did not care less. If you take BC pills and are against the MAP then that is hypocritical and they both (well some types of BC) work the same way.

Quote:
Also I know people who have taken the morning after pill and still be pregnant. I don't think it would be right, mentally, to have a baby after you know you tried to get rid of it.[/b]
Well, abortion is an option for them if the MAP fails.

Quote:
t is preventative and not aborting. IMO there is a big difference there, which is why I will support. I think it will prevent a lot of abortions down the road if it becomes readily available.[/b]

It is a high dose of birth control, that is all. If you are against this then you should also be against some forms of BC that can and do work in the same way.

What is the morning-after pill?

How does it work?

It's believed Levonelle works by:

* preventing your ovaries from releasing an egg

* altering the lining of the womb, so a fertilised egg can't embed itself there.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationshi...ngafterpill.htm

Q. How does the pill really work?

A. There are four ways the pill acts to stop sperm reaching an egg (ovum). First, the hormones in the pill try to stop an ovum being released from your ovary each month. This is known as the suppression of ovulation. Research has shown that neither the progesterone-only pill nor the combined progesterone-oestrogen formulations always stop ovulation.

Second, all formulations of the pill cause changes to the cervical mucus that your body produces. The cervical mucus may become thicker and more difficult (difficult, not impossible) for sperm to fertilize an ovum.

Third, all formulations of the pill cause changes to the lining of the womb (properly known as the endometrium). Under the influence of the chemicals in the pill, the lining of the womb doesn’t grow to the proper thickness. You will notice that your periods are lighter when you are on the pill. This is because the lining of the womb has not developed properly. But this change also means that the womb is not in the right stage of development to allow a fertilized egg to attach properly (this attachment process is known as implantation). This action of the pill will be discussed again in this booklet.

http://www.pfli.org/faq_oc.html

They are pretty much the same thing. Both of them stop implantation, It does not always stop ovulation, so if you are on a certain type of pill it is likely that you have conceived but the egg could not implant. Both the EC and the pill also TRY to stop ovulation.

So if you are against EC are you also against some types of BC and would you also like it not to be available to women?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search