My body my choice

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
camsmommie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stand very stongly on the PRO-CHOICE platform.... I not only have but will be casting my vote on not only state leaders but also on the next president based on his or her stance on abortion.... It is my body my choice ..... Some women would be irate if the government announced that breastfeeding in public was against the law, or if suddenly they said you couldn't get a tattoo.... no-one should have the right to tell you what you are aloud to do with your body...

as for me gettig an abortion my life would have to be at stake before the idea of terminating my pregnacy would seriously cross my mind.. but every women has the right to choose

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"> </MARQUEE></div>
May 4th, 2007, 08:51 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
I stand very stongly on the PRO-CHOICE platform.... I not only have but will be casting my vote on not only state leaders but also on the next president based on his or her stance on abortion.... It is my body my choice ..... Some women would be irate if the government announced that breastfeeding in public was against the law, or if suddenly they said you couldn't get a tattoo.... no-one should have the right to tell you what you are aloud to do with your body...

as for me gettig an abortion my life would have to be at stake before the idea of terminating my pregnacy would seriously cross my mind.. but every women has the right to choose[/b]
I can't believe I have converted you over to the debate boards... even though I stay far away from this part of the debates... but since I am here I'll have to say I 100% disagree with you. and I a tattoo or something similar is in no way comparable, because your tattoo is not effecting anyone but YOU. Whereas abortion effects you and another little being that can't defend itself.

oh yeah - and my vote is going to cancel yours out!

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The problem is, it's NOT just your body. It is an innocent little child's body you're killing... So to compare it to a tattoo or breastfeeding is not at all the same...
May 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
donomama
^^^^^ That's why I hate the phrase "my body my choice." It's not so clear cut to pro lifers. I don't see it as a woman's body or a woman's choice. I see it as a baby's life being taken away, and they had no choice in the matter at all.
May 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
tevinsangel
Abortion is now being compared to breastfeeding in public or getting something as trivial as a tattoo? How are they even comparable? And yes, I get what you are saying but the analogies leave me going Breastfeeding only benefits, I've never seen an argument that says the act of breastfeeding hurts a person (aside from the nipple soreness/mastitis, etc.) and like it or not, abortion hurts someone. To me, the decision to get a tattoo doesn't even hold a candle to getting an abortion.
May 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The problem is, it's NOT just your body. It is an innocent little child's body you're killing... So to compare it to a tattoo or breastfeeding is not at all the same... [/b]
ITA.
Not only that, but I wonder if pro-choicer's don't see anything wrong with a woman drinking during her pregnancy, or smoking or doing drugs (ok, that's illegal, but you KWIM). After all, it's HER body, why shouldn't she be able to do with it whatever she wished?

Sharon
May 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Quote:
The problem is, it's NOT just your body. It is an innocent little child's body you're killing... So to compare it to a tattoo or breastfeeding is not at all the same... [/b]
ITA.
Not only that, but I wonder if pro-choicer's don't see anything wrong with a woman drinking during her pregnancy, or smoking or doing drugs (ok, that's illegal, but you KWIM). After all, it's HER body, why shouldn't she be able to do with it whatever she wished?

Sharon
[/b]
That's a very good question...

Any pro-choicers gonna come out of the woodwork to answer?
May 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
tevinsangel
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ITA.

Sharon
[/b]

[/b]
I had never thought of this before, but that is a good question. If you don't believe it's a baby in there (until it can live outside the womb on its own) then what would be wrong with drinking, smoking and drug usage? Pondering this one now.
May 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm scurrying out from under the woodwork.

I think that if a woman doesn't want to be a mother she needs to either put the child up for adoption or have an abortion. If she chooses not to abort, whether or not she's putting the child up for adoption, she needs to take responsibility for making good choices while she's pregnant. That means no drinking, smoking, drugs, etc. However, it's not my place to force her to make those choices anymore than it is to force her to have, or not have, an abortion.

I know that pro-lifers don't agree with my opinion, but I'll say it again. It is my body, and my choice because the baby is growing inside of me. It's using my body's resources and putting me through permanent emotional, physical, and mental changes. No one should be forced to undergo that. It doesn't matter how the woman ended up pregnant.

That doesn't mean I personally have to agree with the reason behind every abortion. The point of pro-choice is that I believe every woman should be able to make the decision for themselves. If another woman gets pregnant, I'm not the one who will have to carry the pregnancy or take care of the child once it's born. Therefore I don't think I, or anyone else, should be making the decision for her.

May 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caeden'sMama @ May 4 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
ITA.

Sharon
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I've been considering this for the past hour or so trying to come up with an adequate answer.

Being pro-choice I've encountered a plethora of assumptions. I've been called everything from a baby killer to a monster. I think that it is because it is often assumed that because I am pro-choice I am pro-abortion.

My stance is this in a nutshell: I support anyone's right to make reproductive decisions for themselves. That doesn't mean that I believe that people should have abortions, and I don't believe that I would ever have one. However, I would oppose any bill that takes away anyone's right to make reproductive decisions for themselves - and that's not limited to abortion.

I've often said that I believe saying, "My body, my choice" is way too simplistic and is similar to a small child stomping their feet yelling, "Cause I WANT TOO!!!!".

Do I believe that women should be able to do whatever they want that is unhealthy and damaging? I don't know, honestly. I think that a broad answer of yes would be the same as saying that I think that women should be able to smoke crack, and use a hairdryer while standing in the shower. But on the other hand, I don't think it's the government's responsibility to wrap us all in bubble wrap, and give us guide dogs and catch us if we fall. It's a convoluted and often difficult thing to define.

So, I'll end this by saying that I would really hope that a pregnant woman wouldn't make decisions that would be unhealthy for both herself and her fetus - I certainly wouldn't support her. But, I don't know how we can stop people from doing things that are bad for them.
[/b][/quote]

But... we CAN stop them from making choices that are bad for OTHERS, right? That's how our laws are supposed to work? And EVEN IF you don't think a fetus is a baby, it will be someday... and those choices would harm them at that time too. So you'd think we'd be able to do something about it...
May 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Not only that, but I wonder if pro-choicer's don't see anything wrong with a woman drinking during her pregnancy, or smoking or doing drugs (ok, that's illegal, but you KWIM). After all, it's HER body, why shouldn't she be able to do with it whatever she wished?[/b]
We have had this debate a few times here. Right now, there are people in my DDC who wanted babies but smoke. There is no law against them doing so. Are you saying there should be? Where does that line end?

To the my body, my choice debate. It's a small slogan but means so much more. Right now, every law that protects a fetus/pre-born, takes away rights from the person carrying that child. People say "it's a life and therefore baby." Well, the adult human walking around doesn't have any control over their own body because of that "life and therefore baby." Someone's rights are being trampled but so many people see a fetus/baby as more important.

In my world, when I think of the pro-life camp's opinion on abortion, I see pregnant women filled in prisons.
May 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
We have had this debate a few times here. Right now, there are people in my DDC who wanted babies but smoke. There is no law against them doing so. Are you saying there should be? Where does that line end?[/b]
No, I'm not saying there should be laws against it, but I'm not talking about legality here. I'm talking about supporting choices. If a woman comes to you and says she got pregnant, she doesn't want the baby and she's considering an abortion, I'm sure you'll support her 100%. If that same chooses not to have an abortion, but still chooses to drink, smoke or do drugs, would you still support her 100%? If not, why? If it's still her body and a small thing like a baby shouldn't get in the way of that, why can't she get zonked every night but can choose to have an abortion? Obviously both decisions affect the life growing inside her, so why is one abn acceptable choice and not the second?

Quote:
To the my body, my choice debate. It's a small slogan but means so much more. Right now, every law that protects a fetus/pre-born, takes away rights from the person carrying that child. People say "it's a life and therefore baby." Well, the adult human walking around doesn't have any control over their own body because of that "life and therefore baby." Someone's rights are being trampled but so many people see a fetus/baby as more important.

In my world, when I think of the pro-life camp's opinion on abortion, I see pregnant women filled in prisons.[/b]
I'm sorry, but I find this so disturbing. When you have sex, you know there's always a possibility you'll get pregnant. That's a fact. IMO, not wanting laws because they take away from the rights of people that should be perfectly responsible for their actions is just, as another poster said, a tantrum. To me, it's just an excuse to justify the choice. No pro-life is putting a owman on a prison, she put herself in what she considers a prison, but it's still her responsibility, no one else's. By saying "my body, my choice" you're simply ignoring the responsibility YOU acquired when you consciously and willingly decided to engage in an action that could result in that responsibility.

Sharon
May 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Quote:
ITA.

Sharon [/b]
If the mother is planning on staying pregnant, then yes smoking, doing drugs, and drinking during her pregnancy is wrong.

Quote:
We have had this debate a few times here. Right now, there are people in my DDC who wanted babies but smoke. There is no law against them doing so. Are you saying there should be? Where does that line end?

To the my body, my choice debate. It's a small slogan but means so much more. Right now, every law that protects a fetus/pre-born, takes away rights from the person carrying that child. People say "it's a life and therefore baby." Well, the adult human walking around doesn't have any control over their own body because of that "life and therefore baby." Someone's rights are being trampled but so many people see a fetus/baby as more important.[/b]

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I find this so disturbing. When you have sex, you know there's always a possibility you'll get pregnant. That's a fact. IMO, not wanting laws because they take away from the rights of people that should be perfectly responsible for their actions is just, as another poster said, a tantrum. To me, it's just an excuse to justify the choice. No pro-life is putting a owman on a prison, she put herself in what she considers a prison, but it's still her responsibility, no one else's. By saying "my body, my choice" you're simply ignoring the responsibility YOU acquired when you consciously and willingly decided to engage in an action that could result in that responsibility.

Sharon[/b]

Consenting to sex does NOT mean consenting to pregnancy. If that means I'm throwing a tantrum, then so be it.

I value the rights of the BORN pregnant woman far more than the UNBORN parasite within her.

May 6th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Quote:
We have had this debate a few times here. Right now, there are people in my DDC who wanted babies but smoke. There is no law against them doing so. Are you saying there should be? Where does that line end?[/b]
No, I'm not saying there should be laws against it, but I'm not talking about legality here. I'm talking about supporting choices. If a woman comes to you and says she got pregnant, she doesn't want the baby and she's considering an abortion, I'm sure you'll support her 100%. If that same chooses not to have an abortion, but still chooses to drink, smoke or do drugs, would you still support her 100%? If not, why? If it's still her body and a small thing like a baby shouldn't get in the way of that, why can't she get zonked every night but can choose to have an abortion? Obviously both decisions affect the life growing inside her, so why is one abn acceptable choice and not the second?

Quote:

In my world, when I think of the pro-life camp's opinion on abortion, I see pregnant women filled in prisons.[/b]

Sharon
[/b]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ITA.

Sharon [/b]
If the mother is planning on staying pregnant, then yes smoking, doing drugs, and drinking during her pregnancy is wrong.
[/b]
I don't get this... Damaging them through controlled substances is wrong, but KILLING them is not?

Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:

To the my body, my choice debate. It's a small slogan but means so much more. Right now, every law that protects a fetus/pre-born, takes away rights from the person carrying that child. People say "it's a life and therefore baby." Well, the adult human walking around doesn't have any control over their own body because of that "life and therefore baby." Someone's rights are being trampled but so many people see a fetus/baby as more important.[/b]

Quote:

Sharon[/b]

Consenting to sex does NOT mean consenting to pregnancy. If that means I'm throwing a tantrum, then so be it.

I value the rights of the BORN pregnant woman far more than the UNBORN parasite within her.
[/b][/quote]

Yes... Consenting to sex, IS consenting to the POSSIBILITY of pregnancy. Sorry...

And to call a CHILD, who did not ask to be conceived a parasite... Well, that's just harsh. Is that really all you see a baby as?
May 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
Yes... Consenting to sex, IS consenting to the POSSIBILITY of pregnancy. Sorry...

And to call a CHILD, who did not ask to be conceived a parasite... Well, that's just harsh. Is that really all you see a baby as? [/b]

No, that's how I see a FETUS.

May 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Quote:
No, they don't. Our laws do not protect the potential for life. And saying so discredits the laws that we have in place. In fact, the laws we actually have in place are AGAINST fetuses having rights.

If you'd life for it to be different based on the moral or religious choices you support (general you) then it's up to you to elect and support bills that will change it.

It's not up to me to invade someone else's right to privacy because you believe a fetus whose parent may or may not realize exists/or wants may potentially be damaged.

ETA that honestly, since we seem to agree on when life with legally identifiable rights begins there will not be a middle ground here.[/b]

But the fetus IS a life, not just a potential life... It is alive. And there are also laws FOR fetuses having rights. Look at Connor Peterson. Scott Peterson was charged with his MURDER.

And i'm sorry but i disagree... i think it IS our responsibility to step in and protect a life, especially and innocent, helpless child from being damaged. That's why we have child protective services, right?

Quote:
Quote:

And to call a CHILD, who did not ask to be conceived a parasite... Well, that's just harsh. Is that really all you see a baby as? [/b]

No, that's how I see a FETUS.
[/b]
Would you see a newborn as a parasite? They too rely on their mother for nourishment, and wouldn't survive without it....
May 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Quote:
But the fetus IS a life, not just a potential life... It is alive.[/b]
And when did I say a fetus wasnt alive?

Quote:
Look at Connor Peterson. Scott Peterson was charged with his MURDER.[/b]
Laci was in her eighth month of pregnancy. Once a fetus becomes viable outside the womb, I believe it is wrong to have an abortion at that stage, unless for a medical emergency.

Quote:
That's why we have child protective services, right?[/b]
Yes, for BORN children.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search