Prochoice & Proabortion

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Ms.Michelle
Here's the last prochoice/proabortion debate.
May 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Mom2Addi's Avatar Member
I am pro every woman making their own choice. I do not advocate that every woman with an unplanned pregnancy has an abortion (or any for that matter - not my choice)
May 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I am pro-choice. I am pro letting the woman chose to keep the baby or not, to abort the baby or not...ect. Morally I'm opposed to abortion. I could never have one. But politically I don't want my personal beliefs to make the choice for someone else. And thats why I'm pro-choice. It doesn't necessarily have to do with abortion.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I am prochoice, not proabortion. I advocate for a womans right to choose, I don't advocate that all pregnant women abort.

May 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that the choice is there and I don't think abortion should be illegal. I don't think this makes me "pro-choice" because as much as I admit a woman has the legal right to make that choice, I believe it is a wrong choice when done for the wrong reasons. I don't think abortion should be used as a form of birth control or to avoid responsibility. I believe abortion should be available, but I don't think it should be encouraged.

Sharon
May 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
BTW, calling someone who is Pro-choice, Pro-abortion is like calling someone Pro-life, Anti-choice.[/b]
that argument doesnt really work with me cause I WOULD call myself anti-choice when it comes to abortion. I dont think there should be a "choice" (of course I'm talking about elective abortions, not medically necessary ones)
May 15th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
See, I often wonder if there shouldn't be a better term. I know plenty of people who are pro-life but agree with the death penalty, disposal related to IVF, and stem cell research.

I think it's just as wrong to assume that all pro-choice people are pro-abortion as it is to assume that ALL pro-life people oppose all issues listed above.

Oftentimes a person's political beliefs are just as complex as their personalities.[/b]
Personall I don't use the term "pro-life". Mainly because it implies the other side is anti-life and I wouldn't go that far.
I think the term is pretty much irrelevant if your position is clear. I think abortion is acceptable when the mother's life is in danger amd when the baby will not live outside the womb. I also think abortion isn't an acceptable birth control method.

Sharon
May 16th, 2007, 06:23 AM
chloe82
i don't know of anyone who actually thinks that "prochoice" means you think abortion is the best choice for every pregnant woman, that every pregnant woman should have an abortion, or anything that extreme. My understanding was that "prochoice" simply means you think it should be a legal option available for women to choose if they want/need to. I'm prolife, but I don't get upset if someone calls me "antichoice"...sure it puts a negative spin on my viewpoint, but if I don't see abortion as being a good choice and don't think it should be legal or acceptable, then I guess I am "antichoice." Makes no difference to me really. i don't know why so many prochoicers feel the need to say, "I'm pro-choice, not pro-abortion." Why be so adament to tack onto your statement that YOU would never do it but others can?? If you're going to be pro-choice then it seems kinda backwards to the cause to immediately add, "oh, but I would never do it myself!!" Either it's ok or it's not, KWIM? It still attaches that stigma of shame to it that pro-choicers are always trying to fight. What matters is you think abortion should be readily available for women who choose it. The rest is just semantics, trying to find the prettiest term for your stance.
May 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Pro choice means In favour of a woman choosing.

Pro abortion means in favour of woman aborting

Have you met many people who actually like the idea of abortion? If you have met someone who goes around telling others they should abort and that it is a good thing? If you have they could be seen as a pro abortionist, I am not pro abortion, I hate the idea of it, I just think women should have choices over their reproductive rights.

If you still can not see the difference after debating this in the past there is probably little else anyone can say to you. It is very clear.

To use another example: I am pro choice in a lot of things like swingers, I do not think swinging is a good thing at all, I do not advise it to anyone, I do not get it but I believe in the couples right to chose how to conduct their sex life. Just because I think people have the right to do it does not mean I am saying it is a good thing or that I am A OK with it.

I am not comparing the act of swinging to abortion BTW.
May 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Mom2Addi's Avatar Member
Quote:
Pro choice means In favour of a woman choosing.

Pro abortion means in favour of woman aborting

Have you met many people who actually like the idea of abortion? If you have met someone who goes around telling others they should abort and that it is a good thing? If you have they could be seen as a pro abortionist, I am not pro abortion, I hate the idea of it, I just think women should have choices over their reproductive rights.
If you still can not see the difference after debating this in the past there is probably little else anyone can say to you. It is very clear.

To use another example: I am pro choice in a lot of things like swingers, I do not think swinging is a good thing at all, I do not advise it to anyone, I do not get it but I believe in the couples right to chose how to conduct their sex life. Just because I think people have the right to do it does not mean I am saying it is a good thing or that I am A OK with it.

I am not comparing the act of swinging to abortion BTW.[/b]
Exactly what I was trying to say. It isn't that I am happy that abortions occur.
May 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Pro-abortion is when you want ALL pregnancies ended by force and are for human extinction. There are people like this. generally they agree with forced sterilizations so abortion isn't even an issue. I did find weird things on forced sterilization in America. There's a thing called the volenteery human extintion group that wants everyone to refuse to "breed" http://www.vhemt.org/ and Zero population growth http://www.populationconnection.org/.../policies.html where there goal is for every unwanted pregnancy to be ended.

Pro-choice- YOU CHOOSE WEATHER YOU WANT TO KEEP A PREGNANCY

both are very different

July 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion, because I personally don't agree with abortions, don't think I would ever choose to have one myself, but I believe every woman has the right to decide for herself what she is capable of. I would hope she would choose not to abort but I don't believe anyone else has the right to make that choice for her. I also can't know how my feelings might change if I were ever the vicitm of rape, or knew with certainty that my child would have a severe neurological disorder, and I wouldn't want anyone taking my options away from me. Also, I think "pro-abortion" sounds like a person likes abortions.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
July 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to JustWaiting Send a message via MSN to JustWaiting
I think "pro-abortion" is just a loaded term used to put a bad light on people who respect a womans right to choose.

<div align="center"></div>
October 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Quote:
i don't know of anyone who actually thinks that "prochoice" means you think abortion is the best choice for every pregnant woman, that every pregnant woman should have an abortion, or anything that extreme. My understanding was that "prochoice" simply means you think it should be a legal option available for women to choose if they want/need to. I'm prolife, but I don't get upset if someone calls me "antichoice"...sure it puts a negative spin on my viewpoint, but if I don't see abortion as being a good choice and don't think it should be legal or acceptable, then I guess I am "antichoice." Makes no difference to me really. i don't know why so many prochoicers feel the need to say, "I'm pro-choice, not pro-abortion." Why be so adament to tack onto your statement that YOU would never do it but others can?? If you're going to be pro-choice then it seems kinda backwards to the cause to immediately add, "oh, but I would never do it myself!!" Either it's ok or it's not, KWIM? It still attaches that stigma of shame to it that pro-choicers are always trying to fight. What matters is you think abortion should be readily available for women who choose it. The rest is just semantics, trying to find the prettiest term for your stance.[/b]
see this is where the black and white view point really bugs me. Just because you THINK you may never do it(no one would ever know how they would decide unless faced with the decision), doesn't mean it's not ok. You don't have to participate in something to support it as a choice for other's to be able to make. I'm not gay, I support gay marriage and adoption. I couldn't breast feed, but I'll be the first in line to advocate for a woman to breast feed wherever/whenever she wants. I don't smoke pot, but I'm all for legalizing it. I'm not a homeless person, I don't frequent food banks, but I support the cause. I'm not an IV drug user, but I support harm reduction. I'm not mentally ill, but I support Brian's Law, the right to live in community and not instutions and for more services to be made available. I'm not a drinker, but I'm ok with people choosing to be able to have alcohol. There are a number of things I view as 'not ok', but who am I to say it's not a viable option for someone else???
October 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm NOT pro-choice or pro-abortion. The end result is dead babies and traumatized women. I find it so hard to believe seeing all the absolutely gorgeous babies on here and then to hear their mothers are o.k. with abortion. It just boggles my mind. Someone has to stand up for the little ones that can't speak for themselves. I'm not just speaking for the babies but I think most of the time the women aren't told what they will feel like or might feel like afterwards. I think so many times the women are traumatized and have a hard time dealing with what they did. My heart also goes out to those that have had abortions and can't conceive later. I'm sure they were never told that could happen. All the way around abortions should be illegal.
I am pro-life, everyone conceived has the right to be born.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search