For the hardcore pro-lifers

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
chloe82
Okay, so hopefully this worked this time.

Now, I realize this is probably a touchy subject on this board, and really want it to stay hypothetical please!!! I dont see why we can't discuss our viewpoints on this if everyone can be sensitive.... but anyways, I was wondering about people on here who are strongly pro-life and if they maintain that stance with ANY pregnancy, even when the mothers life is in danger. Is there anyone who doesn't make exceptions, even when the mother's life is at grave risk? If the doctor told you you would probably die if you let the pregnancy continue to grow to the point where it would be viable, would you consider having an abortion to save your life? (try thinking about your husband and existing children)

What about cases like ecoptic pregnancy, where there is, from what i understand, pretty much a zero chance that the pregnancy would survive no matter WHAT the mother did, and if left to continue, an extremely high chance that the mother would die as well...?? Considering the baby would pretty much for sure not make it even IF the mother gambled her life, would that be different for those who would gamble their life in the first question??
Thoughts.
And PLEASE let's not turn this one into a judgemental debate. I can't imagine a worse decision to have to make, personally.

For me, personally, if there was a chance the baby could make it (question #1), I would probably take the risk and try to allow the baby a chance. Easier said than done, though. I dont say that dismissively or lightly or even with 100% certainty, to be completely honest. i'm probably like 90% sure I'd risk it.
As for question #2, man, I don't know. I had heard a news story awhile back where a woman's ectopic pregnancy actually survived and so did she, which was a miracle, and that would make it difficult for me. Part of me would want to risk it for that one in a billion or whatever chance, but more of me wouldn't, for the sake of my existing kids. It's honestly such a horrible situation I can't fully wrap my mind around what it would be like to go through that. I can honestly, truly say I don't know what I would do. I don't judge any decision made by any woman in that situation. I truly, truly, don't know what I would do. i imagine my dh, who is also strongly pro-life, would probably urge me to end the pregnancy before he would lose both me and the unborn baby. I probably would concede and struggle not to feel guilty, in the end. Again, not saying anyone who's had to do that SHOuLD feel guilty on any level, don't think that, I'm just saying that I personally might struggle with that decision and my feelings about it afterwards.

Anyways, curious on other people's positions!

eta: Okay, this is really annoying...I keep trying to make this a poll and it keeps not working!!!
i'm curious as to how many here would:

a) risk their life if the doctors told them the baby had a fair chance at survival
b ) risk their life if the doctors told them the baby had little to zero chance at survival
c) not risk their life for a pregnancy regardless of the baby's chances
d) other

There: you can pick from those options!
May 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
If I were faced with such a situation, I could only trust that God would take care of me, my husband, and our children. I could not consider an abortion, even if my death were certain.

In the case of an ectopic pregnancy, morally I would be free to have the tube removed. This is not the same as abortion. First of all, usually in that situation the embryo has already died. Secondly, the intent of the surgery is not to kill the baby. The death of the baby is an unfortunate and unavoidable secondary effect, but that is not the intent. I know it is a fine line, but that is the way I see it.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM
mommyKathyX3
I pick other because here is how I feel.
If I wasin a pregnancy that my life was in danger for sure with very little chance of survival for the baby and I was EARLY in the pregnancy, I'd probably abort. (that is in the sense of like an ectopic) But that is only in the situation that those things are not just a speculation.
If my life was in danger, but later in the pregnacy, I'd try to either tough it out till as long as possible, and then deliver the baby alive hoping God takes care of both of us.
If there is nothing wrong with baby, and for some crazy reason my life is in danger, I honestly dont know what I would do. I want to say that truthfully I would trust that God would take care of us, and give me the wisdom to know what to do and when.

This is about me personally, I really totally understand that if someones life is in danger that they would chose an abortion, and is honestly the only time I would not be upset if I found out someone I knew had one.
May 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
eta: Okay, this is really annoying...I keep trying to make this a poll and it keeps not working!!!

a) risk their life if the doctors told them the baby had a fair chance at survival
b ) risk their life if the doctors told them the baby had little to zero chance at survival
d) other

There: you can pick from those options![/b]
Well, my beliefs on abortion are completely tied to my religious beliefs. According to my religion, when the life of the mother is in danger, then she MUST have an abortion. Abortion out of convinience isn't allowed because the baby is a potential life and as such has to be respected. Plus, we cannot know what that baby's mission is or what he's destined to do and we cannot play God like that. But when the choice is between a "full" life (the mother) and a "potential" life (the baby), then the full life is the one that has to be saved.

Sharon
May 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
chloe82
Quote:
Quote:

d) other

There: you can pick from those options![/b]
Well, my beliefs on abortion are completely tied to my religious beliefs. According to my religion, when the life of the mother is in danger, then she MUST have an abortion. Abortion out of convinience isn't allowed because the baby is a potential life and as such has to be respected. Plus, we cannot know what that baby's mission is or what he's destined to do and we cannot play God like that. But when the choice is between a "full" life (the mother) and a "potential" life (the baby), then the full life is the one that has to be saved.

Sharon
[/b]
Really, that's fascinating, I never knew that!
May 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
If the baby had 0% chance of survival, I would have it removed. I don't consider this an abortion.
If it had very little chance of survival, I'd remain pregnant.
If I had cancer or something and needed chemo, but the baby was fine, I'd stay pregnant.
June 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
well, because I personally had a high risk pregnancy with my daughter and had to have my heart stopped twice in a five minute interval because my heart rate was so high.. I can say that abortion never did cross my mind and never would.Actually, when this happened I was 13 weeks and they were having trouble finding her heart beat with the doppler and I had heard it at the doctors before and I was more concerned about that at the time with me hooked up to the heart monitor and having a high heart rate of 180 . I was very sick with mornig sickness which is what caused it, and was put on diclectin and was not on heart medication at that time . Like people have said before though.. science and technology aren't always right on a fetal diagnosis of having a deadly problem or whatever and I have heard stories of people being told that their baby was not going to survive and they were fine. What is meant to be will be and if it is your time to go then it is time . It would be hard to continue on but that is a baby inside of you and there is always a chance things will be ok...and if not then at least you gave yourself and the baby a chance.
June 6th, 2007, 07:31 PM
XxTequilaSunrisexX
I honestly do not know how I feel about this. Like 6 years ago I would of said if the mothers life was in danger then yes that is the only acceptable reason to have an abortion but then my cousin got his GF at the time pregnant and she had a disease where her being pregnant could kill her, the doctor told her she could die or some other serious stuff could happen but she continued with the pregnancy and had a healthy baby girl who is now 5 and ontop of this she just had a baby boy a year ago.

Obviously being told she could die due to pregnancy did not scare her. I do not know exactly what she had but I know she had to go have her blood cleaned all the time and some other stuff and she was always so pail and she was VERY thin. I never really talked to her, she came to family gatherings but she would always just sit quietly.
June 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Ms.Michelle
I know I don't really belong in this debate because I'm pro-choice.. but now that I'm pregnant and dealing with the attitudes of OB/GYN's in regards to babies.. I completely see how a woman could easily be talked into an abortion based on "science" when there is overwhelming support her and the baby would turn out fine.
June 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Dayna1
Never would I have an abortion - I couldn't.

There's always some chance, sometimes a very small chance that the baby may survive and to me, that's enough. My child is more important than I am.
June 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

There's always some chance, sometimes a very small chance that the baby may survive and to me, that's enough. My child is more important than I am.[/b]
What about already born children? How do they factor into it? What will their lives be like if their mother sacrifices herself for a pregnancy?

edited to add: Shouldn't so's factor into the decision too? How would the death affect them?

June 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Dayna1
Quote:
Quote:

There's always some chance, sometimes a very small chance that the baby may survive and to me, that's enough. My child is more important than I am.[/b]
What about already born children? How do they factor into it? What will their lives be like if their mother sacrifices herself for a pregnancy?

edited to add: Shouldn't so's factor into the decision too? How would the death affect them?
[/b]
I have a 13 month old, and if I did happen to pass away I would hope that he would understand once he got older. I would have done the same thing for him when he was in my womb.

My SO would no doubt want me to abort the child if I was going to die but I still wouldn't. I couldn't.

I am 100% pro life.

If I did have an abortion, I would always be wondering, 'what if the baby could have survived'.
June 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM
ahixon
I would not have a abortion. The way I see it is that I will take whatever God gives me, and if it is my time then it just is. The only exception would be a tubal pregnancy, I would probably have it removed, but there is no doubt that it would bother me for the rest of my life. I have discussed this with my husband and he does not really agree, but he know's that is how I feel about it, and would respect my wishes. I agree with the poster that said that they would hope their other children would understand, I would have risked my life with any of my children. Also, my husbands stepbrothers wife was told that if she did not abort that she would die before the pregnancy was over from liver cancer, and they were wrong. She is fine, her baby is fine, and now two years later she is pregnant again. I could not do it, because there are way to many times when they are wrong, also if a doctor ever wanted me to abort, I would change doctors.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search