Under what circumstances do you think YOU would consider abortion, if any?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is a personal question so everyone's answers might be different which is fine.

Under what circumstances, if any, do you think you might consider having an abortion?

Such as:
your birth control didn't work and you feel you and your SO have enough children already or your SO suddenly walked out on you or whatever other reason you think you would ever come across that you would consider it.

June 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Under what circumstances, if any, do you think you might consider having an abortion?[/b]
I think every pregnancy it should be considered as a possiblity like having a c-section is a possiblity. Now if a c-section is a 5% chance, then I would imagine abortion would be pretty low in chances of needing one. Abortion is a medical procedure that might be needed, like any other aspect of the pregnancy.

Now under that pretense, if I want the baby, I would do everything humanly possible to avoid it. At this point in my life, I would feel comfortable with an accident but even five years ago, it would have been a different story despite being in a 7 year marriage at the time.
June 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Under what circumstances, if any, do you think you might consider having an abortion?[/b]
I think every pregnancy it should be considered as a possiblity like having a c-section is a possiblity. Now if a c-section is a 5% chance, then I would imagine abortion would be pretty low in chances of needing one. Abortion is a medical procedure that might be needed, like any other aspect of the pregnancy.[/b]
So, you would consider it only for medical reasons then. Like an ectopic pregnancy or something like that.

June 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think every pregnancy it should be considered as a possiblity like having a c-section is a possiblity. Now if a c-section is a 5% chance, then I would imagine abortion would be pretty low in chances of needing one. Abortion is a medical procedure that might be needed, like any other aspect of the pregnancy.[/b]
So, you would consider it only for medical reasons then. Like an ectopic pregnancy or something like that.
[/b]
Absolutely.. There are many reasons medically to have an intervention in a pregnancy. Honestly, I wish mental health and abortion were taken more seriously in many cases.
June 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If he walked out on me and withdrew all support (both financial and actual helping out), I would consider it. I have another baby to take care of too and I just don't think I would be able to -take care of my baby that I already have, -work, AND -go through another pregnancy, all without any help whatsoever.

There is NO WAY that would happen though, he is not that kind of guy.

June 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think only two circumstances: if my own life was in danger- and I mean life or death, not just if the pregnancy was a bit risky. And if there was no doubt my baby had no chance of surviving outside the womb, as with anencephalia or any other extreme situation, like ectopic pregnancy (which pretty much can be a combination of both).

Quote:
I don't think any reason is 'good enough' for any abortion. I can understand and empathize why women go through with it, but I don't think those reasons make it 'right'. [/b]
Couldn't agree more. Perfectly said!

Sharon
June 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM
chloe82
I think i would only consider it in a case where my life is in imminent danger AND the baby has a pretty much zero chance of survival. As in, for example, an ectopic pregnancy....any other situation and I don't think I could go through with it, honestly. Even in THAT situation I would have a terrible time coming to a decision either way.
June 8th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
all pregnancy that would be seriously considered no matter what.

June 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Mom2Addi's Avatar Member
Quote:
Honestly, as much as it pains me to even type this, I do admit I have considered abortion with my last three babies.

With my second, I became so....so scared and alone (my abusive ex began stalking me, etc.), that I called an abortion clinic at 19 weeks and made an appointment.

I didn't go through with it (thank God).

With my third, I actually made and went to the appointment when I was nine weeks pregnant (and could have gotten it done for next to free, because of my medical history)...but walked out. I was just at my 'rock bottom' and just didn't know what to do. I mean, I knew in my heart what to do, but I didn't want to accept that? I am not sure. I felt disgusting, carrying this man's child....ugh. Thinking about it does make me sick to my stomach (not about my baby....just the whole....ugh, sperm-inside-me subject). I dunno how I walked out...because my best friend was seriously adament that I go through with it (she wasn't there at the appointment, but she had, on numerous occasions, told me that that was my only option if I wanted any kind of a life -for both me and my children- ). Anyways, I walked out and never looked back.

With my fourth, I made yet another appointment at six weeks. I didn't go through with it, but I did take the morning after pill, which I guess is an early abortion too (it didn't work). I didn't know that at the time though, I didn't know what it was to be quite honest, besides that it was a big dose of bc pills (and I didn't realize that bc pills can cause early abortions). I feel immense guilt with all of these 'attempts', but I think I feel the most guilt with my fourth, just because I feel that my efforts were done in vain, since he died six weeks later. I felt like it was some sort of wicked (yet just?) punishment for my past actions.

I am not sure why I made those appointments. Maybe it was to strengthen my beliefs, at an unconscious level? I knew (even IF unconsciously) that I would never go through with those appointments. But for some reason, I still made them. Maybe it gave me some sick, twisted solace in knowing that I could say 'No'. That I could have a choice (in saying 'no' to the abortion). It gave me control, and a choice I guess. I dunno. I dunno if I am making any sense right now.

I don't think any reason is 'good enough' for any abortion. I can understand and empathize why women go through with it, but I don't think those reasons make it 'right'. [/b]
The morning after pill is not the same as the abortion pill. It is a high dose of birth control that is supposed to stop a pregnancy from occurring - if it hasn't already. If you were already pregnant, it would do nothing. Did you take the morning pill or RU486 (abortion pill)?

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I considered abortion for a brief moment. I was sure at the time that her dad (now my husband) was going to leave and wasn't sure I could do it on my own. I started spotting days after I found out I was pregnant and what can I say - my mommy instincts kicked in and there was no way I was not going to have her.
June 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM
*Aspen*
Rape
If I would die.
If the baby would die.
June 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Veteran
Probably only in cases of ectopic pregnancies, and even then I think I might still keep the baby and let what happens happen.
June 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Probably only in cases of ectopic pregnancies, and even then I think I might still keep the baby and let what happens happen.[/b]
But you'd most likely just die. And so would the baby. Why would you risk that? Especially seeing as how you have another child to take care of. You'd be okay with leaving your child motherless basically for nothing (baby is going to die anyway).

June 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Veteran
I am a believer that is what is meant for my life will happen. If I have wind up with an ectopic pregnancy, I believe that it happened for a reason. Maybe I'm not meant to live any longer, maybe for some freak reason-we will both survive(it has happened). I also have a lot of faith in the health industry. If I began bleeding, I would trust that they would do their best to save me.

I don't believe that things like this are my decision. If it is meant to be, it will be, if not-well..

It's not something that I can decide without it occuring, but I could really go either way.

ETA: Also, I'm a bit of a religious person, and I tend to feel that if I were to keep the baby, maybe God would let us both survive as a result of my trust that things will work out the way he intended. Or something like that-can't really explain what I'm thinking.
June 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
You would risk bleeding to death and leaving your daughter without her mother?

Quote:
More than 95 percent of ectopic pregnancies occur in a fallopian tube — the tubes that carry the egg from the ovaries to the uterus. These are known as tubal pregnancies. Ectopic pregnancies are possible in the abdomen, ovary or neck of the uterus (cervix) as well.

An ectopic pregnancy can't proceed normally. The developing embryo can't survive, and the growing placental tissue may destroy important maternal structures. Without treatment, life-threatening blood loss is possible.

About one in every 40 to 100 pregnancies is ectopic. Thanks to earlier diagnosis and treatment, the chance for future healthy pregnancies is better than ever before.[/b]
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ect...gnancy/DS00622
Quote:
Ectopic pregnancy remains the leading cause of pregnancy–related death in the first trimester of pregnancy.[/b]
http://www.medicinenet.com/ectopic_p...cy/article.htm
Quote:
Can an ectopic pregnancy survive?

The short answer is no, it is always doomed to failure. The Fallopian tube is relatively thin compared to the thick, spongy muscle bed of the uterus where the pregnancy is meant to grow. As the pregnancy advances, it stretches the outer wall of the tube which will eventually burst causing acute pain and internal bleeding if the condition is undiagnosed. If untreated this could be potentially fatal to the woman.[/b]
http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&con=73#q3

THIS, FROM A PROLIFE WEBSITE:
Quote:
Ectopic Pregnancies - Update
For the second time in a week or so I have to correct myself. Perhaps it was because of only a cursory examination of the facts that I didn't realize that chances of ectopic pregnancies resulting in live births are extremely rare. Maybe I saw what I wanted to see.

Regardless, after extensive research it has become obvious to me that ectopic births are rare. A babyworld article describes it as rare as "one in 60 million.

It is sad to know that there is a condition like this out there. Do we force 60 million women to die so that one child may live? For those of you who have to deal with this issue I will have to concede that it is for you & God to figure out.

I won't remove this post. 1) It will serve as an important reminder to me and hopefully others as well to do more extensive research on topics that are more than just opinion. 2) There are many points in it that are still valid, such as those on rape, incest, health of the mother & life of the mother.

A doctor should always make every attempt to save the child and the mother.[/b]
http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/archi...pic_pregnan.php

Quote:
While most pregnancies result in the birth of a healthy baby, occasionally a pregnancy goes wrong right from the start. Ectopic and molar pregnancies are examples of this. Sadly, neither ectopic nor molar pregnancies can result in the birth of a baby. And without prompt treatment, both can endanger the life of the pregnant woman.[/b]
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professi...14332_1189.asp

June 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM
*Aspen*
I totally don't understand that. I don't even consider an ectopic pregnancy a real pregnancy.
June 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I don't think I could do it (at least, not voluntarily). I don't think anything short of being drugged (without my knowledge) could get me back on that table again.

If someone close to me knew of my situation, and drugged me...then yea, I may go through with it (the operation).

I also would go through with it voluntarily IF, and only IF the baby had already died and I had more than one ultrasound by more than one doctor confirm it...but that is not always the case. And it would still be incredibly hard for me to do. Matter of fact, I in this case (the baby already being dead), I would most likely opt for the methotrexate drug to be injected and later miscarry the baby at home. That way, I won't have to go through one of the most traumatic experiences in my life, for a second time.

I truly do not think I would voluntarily get back on that table for anything, especially if the baby was still alive.[/b]
It would not be a traditional abortion, it would be a surgical procedure, if necessary, a laparoscopy. You would be anesthetized, it would not be a D&C.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search