Kenya protests

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Ms.Michelle
Source
Quote:
The majority of those who seek abortions are young girls under the age of 25, who are afraid of ostracism and social stigma, and lack the financial means to take care of a child.

The audience gasped in horror as the women listed the tools used by these abortionists - knitting needles, water pipes, wires and herbal concoctions.

Health professionals also testified about their difficult and often hopeless attempts to treat victims of botched abortions.

Nurse Anne Mulinge told of a 16-year-old girl who was brought to the hospital in a septic coma after an abortionist perforated her rectum and her uterus during an abortion.

The girl's life was eventually saved but doctors had to perform a hysterectomy and she has a permanent colostomy bag.

"It is time to decide how we will save these powerless and voiceless women," Mrs Mulinge told the audience. "This could be your sister, daughter, mother or wife."

Dr Kibunguchy, who is also a qualified gynaecologist, said abortion was a public health concern, and said it was impossible to address the issue of unsafe abortion without addressing the prevalence of poverty.

"It is time to think outside the box on this issue. Those who speak loudest against abortion speak from inside the box. Life is neither black nor white and I hope that we will strike the delicate balance in between," Dr Kibunguchy said during his address.

Dr Stephen Ochiel, a gynaecologist and the chairman of the Kenya Medical Association, told the forum that he was once vehemently opposed to abortion but changed his stance when one of his young patients died after an unsafe abortion.

"The law [banning abortion] is the greatest killer of women because it does not criminalise sex, but it criminalises abortion," he said.

"Maternal death in this country is scandalous. Women are dying from causes that can be prevented," he said, calling for the legalisation of abortion to save women's lives.[/b]
Despite the fact, abortions are banned in Kenya unless the procedure is necessary to save the mother's life, there are still so many women scrambling to have abortions. If you are pro-life, how can you justify the deaths of so many women. They are helpless to care for children. How can abortion be worse?
June 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
*Aspen*
That is heartbreaking.
June 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
mommyKathyX3
I guess the way I see it is that its MOSTLY the govts fault for not offering more controception and education. I cant justify them loosing thier lives, but I cant also justify not letting a whole bunch of children not even having a chance to live thier lives either. Yes, I know now BOTH die, but I think that if
#1. They were provided with more education
#2. They were provided with more controception
#3. They were provided with more support IF a pregnancy happened

MOST of those pregnancies would not even occur. (of course there would still be rapes, and bc that failed, and thats why I say MOST) I cant justify one wrong with another wrong. They are BOTH wrong. Which is worse? I dont know. They are both sad.

THAT is why I cant justify saying "I'm personally prolife, politically prochoice" (which is what DH is) because since they are going to do it, they might as well do it in a safe situation instead of with a hanger or something. Either way a wrong is being done in my eyes. KWIM?
June 29th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I guess the way I see it is that its MOSTLY the govts fault for not offering more controception and education. I cant justify them loosing thier lives, but I cant also justify not letting a whole bunch of children not even having a chance to live thier lives either. Yes, I know now BOTH die, but I think that if

MOST of those pregnancies would not even occur. (of course there would still be rapes, and bc that failed, and thats why I say MOST) I cant justify one wrong with another wrong. They are BOTH wrong. Which is worse? I dont know. They are both sad.

THAT is why I cant justify saying "I'm personally prolife, politically prochoice" (which is what DH is) because since they are going to do it, they might as well do it in a safe situation instead of with a hanger or something. Either way a wrong is being done in my eyes. KWIM?[/b]
But, pro-life legislation actually caused an additional 2,600 deaths in this case. How exactly is that pro-life?
June 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM
mommyKathyX3
Quote:
Quote:

THAT is why I cant justify saying "I'm personally prolife, politically prochoice" (which is what DH is) because since they are going to do it, they might as well do it in a safe situation instead of with a hanger or something. Either way a wrong is being done in my eyes. KWIM?[/b]
But, pro-life legislation actually caused an additional 2,600 deaths in this case. How exactly is that pro-life?
[/b]
Because there is no way for us to know how many possible thousands of children were born because someone decided to NOT get an abortion illegally and go through the pregnancy and have a child that now has a chance to live its life. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt. There are ALWAYS casualties. Either way, its sad. The country doesnt outlaw ALL abortions, just the kind I disagree with "elective" ones. Medical ones are allowed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search